Police: V doesn't necessarily stand for Victory

JGP

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Pretty severe =/= to a life sentence though. 

I'm no lawyer. However, it's hard to imagine, even if in the first place they're successful, that many of these 'gang' related, escalated charges will stand on appeal. Reads like spoon chested puffery meant to lessen activism in the short term. 

--- 

This was neat:

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Mostly, but if you start a fire that causes a million pound worth of damage? Your sentence should be pretty severe. Fires dont always do what you want, setting them indiscriminately should carry harsh sentences, there's almost always a risk to life. 

Throwing bricks through windows though, or similar, definitely not. 

Wouldn’t that be arson rather than vandalism, though?

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Look, I appreciate that we have different views on law enforcement, and I'm not arguing that we should give carte blanche to people to burn down buildings.

Vandalism is very broad.

So I agreed that a bit of a brick through a window is not the end of the world. But throwing a brick where it 'might' hit someone is different. Arson is a whole other level. Graffiti is a £50 fine.  

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I never said that people shouldn't be held responsible for arson, especially when someone was hurt or killed; just that people shouldn't be sentenced to life in prison because they bought red paint and splashed it on a building. 

I wasn't aware that would be such a controversial position to take.

Well about the case in Duluth where someone asphyxiated on an overapplication of red paint.  What about that?

18 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

How about the person who set the fire in the Minneapolis riots in the pawn shop, where someone was burned alive?

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I never said that people shouldn't be held responsible for arson, especially when someone was hurt or killed; just that people shouldn't be sentenced to life in prison because they bought red paint and splashed it on a building. 

I wasn't aware that would be such a controversial position to take.

And not to quibble, but it was a body found in the wreckage with thermal injuries.  No idea if he was burned alive or not at this time as those details have not been released to my knowledge.  (I may have missed the news on that).

16 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I heard it from a guy who heard it from the guy who heard it on the internet.

So got it, made up stuff.

ETA:  See, stuff like this just adds to the gestalt of tension and hostility in the community I live in, so right now you are part of the problem and not the solution.  Screw off.

15 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

It was probably Covid

Probably did burn to death, but devil is in the details of things no?  But sure be flip to attempt to prove some kind of point.  

16 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

So got it, made up stuff.

ETA:  See, stuff like this just adds to the gestalt of tension and hostility in the community I live in, so right now you are part of the problem and not the solution.  Screw off.

Probably did burn to death, but devil is in the details of things no?  But sure be flip to attempt to prove some kind of point.  

Chill out Hannibal.  I thought it was pretty obvious that I was making that up.

11 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Chill out Hannibal.  I thought it was pretty obvious that I was making that up.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sarcasm can be difficult to make out in text.  Being more explicit is helpful.

Especially in this day and age of the internet.  And when you made a post that looked serious one moment and then went a different direction the next moment?  It may not be your intent, but this comes off as the Trump Defense.  "I was just joking".

If you were just being sarcastic and funny, I would challenge you to, well, "be funnier."

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

Don't back track now Mr. "thermal injuries".

I'm not, I as literally quoting the AP Article.  I am sorry you didn't read the source you were citing. (My bad, you didn't provide a source.  Maybe this was one of those things you heard from someone on the internet again?)  A body was discovered in the ruins of a burned down building with thermal injuries.  Someone has been charged, the cause of death has not been released.  He probably burned to death, but may not have.  Hence the devil in the details.

https://apnews.com/75d03ba2d449ba3f77f7f533fd829d5f

1 hour ago, MercenaryChef said:

as i always say 'the only good cop is one properly vetted, trained in community development, de-escalation and non-violent policing and held accountable by a 3rd party review process and not a jury of peers and morally and socially corrupt union.'

That's pretty wordy.  I'd be happy with "the only good cop is one that doesn't use excessive force nor oppress people of color."

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's pretty wordy.  I'd be happy with "the only good cop is one that doesn't use excessive force nor oppress people of color."

Fucking over women is aok tho

Archived