Police: V doesn't necessarily stand for Victory

JGP

Here in Minneapolis we have a bad situation-

A man died in a parking ramp with police present and word got out the cops shot and killed him. So protests and looting started up downtown at the Target store below target corporate headquarters, foot locker, and Brit’s pub. Police fired less lethals. The police chief sent video to local BLM leader Dr Nekima Levy Armstrong shoeing the man shot himself in the head when police arrived. 

This is going to play really badly tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Here in Minneapolis we have a bad situation-

A man died in a parking ramp with police present and word got out the cops shot and killed him. So protests and looting started up downtown at the Target store below target corporate headquarters, foot locker, and Brit’s pub. Police fired less lethals. The police chief sent video to local BLM leader Dr Nekima Levy Armstrong shoeing the man shot himself in the head when police arrived. 

This is going to play really badly tomorrow.

I heard that, it still doesn't change the why people are doing what they are doing, and that is still an important part of the conversation.

14 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I heard that, it still doesn't change the why people are doing what they are doing, and that is still an important part of the conversation.

It doesn’t change it, but it makes it easy to spin in a super negative way. I’ll imagine tomorrow we will be hearing remarks about it from the RNC

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It doesn’t change it, but it makes it easy to spin in a super negative way. I’ll imagine tomorrow we will be hearing remarks about it from the RNC

It'll be the outlier event that right wingers memorize to throw in a liberal's face to excuse systemic racism or some other everyday atrocity. Like Jussie Smollett or the Duke lacrosse team. Part of the Litany of Racial Fragility.

13 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

It'll be the outlier event that right wingers memorize to throw in a liberal's face to excuse systemic racism or some other everyday atrocity. Like Jussie Smollett or the Duke lacrosse team. Part of the Litany of Racial Fragility.

Maybe not. Nicollet Mall (not a mall per se, but a long strip of a major street in Minneapolis) is really close to Uptown, where Floyd was murdered. They could try and frame this as Murderapolis is back to spook a lot of wealthy inner ring suburbs. 

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  Neither Jussie Smollett nor the Duke lacrosse team persuaded any people's political behavior, it just reinforces people's bullshit beliefs that they then use as justification, as will this.

31 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Yeah I know.  There was always going to be something though, just a shame it happened here and I will have another round of talking to people about it/through it.

8 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Yeah I know.  There was always going to be something though, just a shame it happened here and I will have another round of talking to people about it/through it.

It’s also a shame that it won’t be used to illustrate how dangerous a situation is caused by the police losing public trust. It’ll just be “they’re animals!”

44 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It’s also a shame that it won’t be used to illustrate how dangerous a situation is caused by the police losing public trust. It’ll just be “they’re animals!”

Exactly.  Those were my thoughts.  When I first heard it I was like, great here is another one, this can't keep happening....then when I heard it was a suicide I had this millisecond of relief, which was quickly replaced by the thought this whole thing is so fucked up, that I had relief that it was a suicide.

8 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It’s also a shame that it won’t be used to illustrate how dangerous a situation is caused by the police losing public trust.

This is exactly what I thought as I read these posts about this incident.  It's an example of the consequences of a complete betrayal of public trust.  There is a reason people respond as they did.  Some people can't see that, though.  They can only see a rabid mob of criminals casting about for opportunities to engage in mayhem.  I'm sure James Woods will share his wisdom on Twitter about it. 

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This whole thing in Kenosha is just sick. Two dead, two wounded - 1 paralyzed - and a fucking kid is probably going to prison for life because of shitty parents giving him a gun, and shitty, racist cops encouraging his stupid behavior.

His parents and those fucking cops should be prosecuted; if he was 15 and his parents gave him the keys to a car, and cops saw him driving by and said "appreciate you!", at what point is he supposed to believe that his behavior is actually anti-social? It's all just fucking gross, and no one who should be punished for this travesty will be punished.

Completely agree with you. But I’m annoyed by this whole “kid” framing. Wasn’t Travyon Martin a kid as well by those standards? How come that word wasn’t used back then?* Is there some obvious distinguishing feature between these two “kids”? Hmmm... :idea:

*ETA: by the same crowd using the term “kid” in this case, to be clear

26 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Completely agree with you. But I’m annoyed by this whole “kid” framing. Wasn’t Travyon Martin a kid as well by those standards? How come that word wasn’t used back then?* Is there some obvious distinguishing feature between these two “kids”? Hmmm... :idea:

*ETA: by the same crowd using the term “kid” in this case, to be clear

It's a good point. I even remember people talking about Donald Trump Jr as a "good kid" when discussing how he couldn't possibly have known what trouble he could get into for taking a meeting with Russian ratfuckers during the 2016 campaign.

I called the Trumpen-Jugend a "kid" to emphasize how inappropriate it was for him to have crossed state lines to be out after curfew with a long gun, but I'll find other ways to express my contempt for him. 

On 8/28/2020 at 12:55 AM, The Great Unwashed said:

Trust me, their hypocrisy is definitely not lost on me; Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, and Michael Brown were dangerous thugs, apparently, but this kid is supposed to be a cherubic angel. 

I didn't understand how it was legally possible to not treat them as a kid then. But I also think that this boy ought to be treated as a juvenile. Because that's what he is, a juvenile.

For me the science is pretty clear. We assume that they are in a stage of development where they shouldn't be considered fully developed adults and thus deserve a different treatment.

Of course your law system over there is different and the lines are blurred and it's sucks that there is this obvious reason why the dices will fall on one side or another - but still try not to forget that the shooter is a juvenile.

Orange shoggoth essentially told them to kill him, on twitter. Death squads -- well the cops always were that, at least for people of color. But now it doesn't matter what color of skin one might have.  They lurve their shoggoth.

10 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

crackpottery warning: I've seen and heard it kicked around around by left wing conspiracy type people that Reinhoel was a Cointelpro-type plant.  For evidence they are saying that his social media accounts only show lefty politics and antifa sentiments recently.  Seems super thin on its own.

I wonder what could be happening recently that could have caused someone to suddenly start leaning left and being antifascist?

... Nope can't think of anything.

ETA: Shit, "his social media accounts only show lefty politics and antifa sentiments recently." describes me, so it's not even like this is necessarily a matter of him not being left wing before, he could have just been quieter about it.

Archived