Aerys & The Starks

nyser1

6 hours ago, frenin said:

Hardly, Lyonel Baratheon rebelled and seceded, after his defeat in a trial by combat

Didn't the Rebellion end with the loss of trial by combat by Lyonel? Or did he start his rebellion after his loss?

6 hours ago, frenin said:

Egg didn't lose reputation for that.

Well Egg didn't have the most fearsome of reputation..... His progressive reforms didn't serve him well against the Ruling class....... But he had friends such as Lyonel who had his back..... The selfishness of his children cost him that as well.....

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 10:34 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:

King Aerys II cannot allow Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon to put themselves in positions to challenge him.  I do believe in giving them a chance to obey.  And if they refuse to obey and change their plans, then yes, they must be executed.  

Definitely give them a chance to do right and obey their king.  Make them share one urn if they defy Aerys' command.

;) A small urn.  Like an ash tray.  

Arrest Brandon on the spot but do not summon Rickard Stark, summon Rhaegar and Lyanna to try to understand what happened.

If Rhaegar shows up with a bastard or a pregnant Lyanna geld him and send him to the wall. Free Brandon afterwards.

If Lyanna is not pregnant, but Rhaegar took her maidenhood, then you summon Rickard and Robert and ask them how to placate them for the offense that Rhaegar did to them, money, lands, positions etc, and then give them, make Rhaegar pay for all the costs you have, maybe even exclude him from the sucession.

• 2 weeks later...

The original post posed the question as how Aerys could have avoided war. Lyanna's disappearance/abduction coupled with Brandon's hot-headed response might have led to war anyways. A Machiavellian (like Littlefinger) might have instead asked himself how do I use this to my advantage. I'm not that Machiavellian. My natural response, if I was Aerys, would have been how do I keep this limited to the Starks. If it's a war of just the Starks against the rest of the Seven Kingdoms then the Starks lose. Aerys' giant mistakes were killing the heir to the Vale and demanding the heir to the Stormlands be turned over. Totally unnecessary moves that made this much more than just a problem with the Starks. He could have kept his throne if he hadn't done those two things. 

30 minutes ago, Groo said:

The original post posed the question as how Aerys could have avoided war. Lyanna's disappearance/abduction coupled with Brandon's hot-headed response might have led to war anyways. A Machiavellian (like Littlefinger) might have instead asked himself how do I use this to my advantage. I'm not that Machiavellian. My natural response, if I was Aerys, would have been how do I keep this limited to the Starks. If it's a war of just the Starks against the rest of the Seven Kingdoms then the Starks lose. Aerys' giant mistakes were killing the heir to the Vale and demanding the heir to the Stormlands be turned over. Totally unnecessary moves that made this much more than just a problem with the Starks. He could have kept his throne if he hadn't done those two things. 

Brandon cannot be allowed to threaten the royal family.  His life was forfeit.  But there is no making up with House Stark.  I do believe the Starks were plotting against Aerys and that gives Aerys the right to do as he wished with the Starks.  But he only needed to destroy one house at a time.  I say destroy House Stark, kill them all.  Tear Winterfell down to rubble.  Offer to marry Viserys to Cersei if need be to get the Lannisters on his side.  Release Jaime from the Kingsguard.  Pardon the Golden Company and divide up the Stark lands for them.  Secretly promise their leaders parts of the Stormlands.  That would weaken the coalition that Rickard Stark and Robert were trying to build.  Hire an assassin to poison all of the Baratheons at a later time.  Do the same for Jon Arryn and his heirs. 

Archived