Changes to FaB I in the paperback edition

Lord Varys

Received my copy today, as promised there are more illustrations there, most notably:

- Headless Prince Jaehaerys with a grieving Helaena and Jaehaera.

- A stunningly beautiful Larra Rogare with Sandoq the Shadow and a guy who may supposed to be one of her brothers but cannot be because he has dark hair.

- Vermax entagled in a maze of ships about to drown.

- Baela Targaryen on Moondancer about to kick Aegon II's ugly ass (the latter being not in the picture).

- Sandoq the Shadow butchering the fools trying to enter Maegor's Holdfast.

Sunspear is no longer burned during the First Dornish War, although we unfortunately don't get all those speculations about the reasoning behind that tactic. @Ran is there a chance you can share those speculations you and George came up with in full?

Archmaester Vaegon is 'not yet forty' in 101 AC, making his age fit better fit with the facts. While Borros the Illiterate is still as confused about his own family tree as Renly Baratheon was in ACoK (intentionally, most likely), Archmaester Gyldayn has remembered whose uncle and great-uncle Boremund Baratheon actually was.

The little detail about the mask Grand Maester Ollidar - from bronze to copper - isn't changed. Does this mean the appendix of AFfC is in error?

We do have few Dornish lords take the field against the Targaryens in the Second Dornish War.

The tidbit about Jaehaerys Targaryen being Maegor's rightful heir by all the laws isn't changed to the way it was in the novella version.

Alyssa and children do now flee from Dragonstone, not KL, although Alyssa still had to witness Rhaena's marriage to Maegor which is literally wrong.

We no longer have a young old septon among the Seven Speakers.

Corlys Velaryon consistently doubles his wealth on his first voyage, only to become the richest man in Westeros after the ninth and last voyage.

Prince Gaemon dies before the start of the new year, not thereafter.

Laena Velaryon's birth year changed from 93 AC to late 92 AC, in accordance with the time Rhaenys' pregnancy is discovered.

Jeyne Arryn is over twenty years older Jacaerys Velaryon now.

We have the Lads being welcomed by Gyles Belgrave and three other Kingsguard, not four.

Olyver Baratheon's name has been properly changed to Royce Baratheon, considering that Lady Elenda supposedly named her only son after her own father, Royce Caron. This would be the biggest change in my opinion, something somebody should update in the wiki as soon as possible.

The Three Widows present at the royal wedding now leave in proper order.

Manfryd Mooton now offers proper input when the succession of Aegon III is discussed at council.

We have only Ser Willis Fell the only KG dying of the Winter Fever and Regis Grovis earlier at Harrenhal, explaining why both Aegon III and Unwin Peake only fill two empty spots in the KG, not four.

Peake now rules the Seven Kingdoms only for the best part of two years.

Ser Robert Rowan lives and dies as a knight, not a lord.

We finally have the Dornish union properly reflected in the appendix - the Daenerys-Maron marriage being the deciding factor, not the Myriah-Daeron marriage.

I could not check everything right now, somebody could check whether Laena is consistently Daemon's second wife now, not his first.

I could not check everything right now, somebody could check whether Laena is consistently Daemon's second wife now, not his first.

@Lord Varys Daemon Targaryen married Rhea Royce first, Laena Velaryon second, and Rhaenyra Targaryen third. I think you have forgotten of Daemon's "Bronze Bitch". :D
I'll update characters entries on the wiki later today.

1 hour ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

@Lord Varys Daemon Targaryen married Rhea Royce first, Laena Velaryon second, and Rhaenyra Targaryen third. I think you have forgotten of Daemon's "Bronze Bitch". :D
I'll update characters entries on the wiki later today.

I didn't right here, but George and the many people going through the manuscripts did. On two occasions in the hardcover edition we had Laena as Daemon's first wife. Which is corrected now.

@zionius gives an independent summary of the changes here. Somewhat better than mine, considering he bothered to give the actual changes rather than retelling them in my quirky style.

It would be great if somebody could figure out if the ebook files have been corrected as well, and whether the pictures will be/have included there, too.

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Lord Varys

Is there any way you can share the new pictures?

Not at the moment. I could try to take pictures of them and upload them somewhere, but that would most likely ruin my new paperback ;-).

I guess the fact that we still have this here should be seen as an oversight:

The court rejoiced when Lady Rhaena announced that she was with child by Lord Corwyn Corbray, but joy turned to grief a moon’s turn later when she miscarried.

This should be Ser Corwyn Corbray since Lord Leowyn, Corwyn's elder brother, remains the Lord Corbray up until his death, and he is still succeeded by Lord Quenton Corbray whose uncle Ser Corwyn remains.

Also, this is the only instance that Corwyn Corbray is called 'Lord' rather than Ser, despite the fact that he shows up rather often after the death of his elder brother, Lord Leowyn. Not to mention that Quenton is explicitly referenced as being the Lord of Heart's Home when Corwyn dies, meaning he cannot have succeeded Corwyn in that capacity. Instead it is effectively confirmed that Quenton is a son of Lord Leowyn Corbray.

Mine came from analyzing the ebook, of course. How else could I catch so many corrections of a single letter? :P Thus, this is the complete list of every changes.

Except a few typos that was already corrected in previous kindle versions.

21 minutes ago, zionius said:

Mine came from analyzing the ebook, of course. How else could I catch so many corrections of a single letter? :P Thus, this is the complete list of every changes.

Except a few typos that was already corrected in previous kindle versions.

Well, being an old-fashioned guy, I went through the actual paperback with the errata page as a guideline ;-).

The transcript of the interview implies that George plans to write in considerable detail about the reign of Aegon III, especially the deaths of the last dragons as well as the troubles and rebellions he faced.

Which seems pretty promising for a scenario involving some last dragon actions with Alys Rivers and her son fighting Aegon III/Viserys/the girls, as well as stuff about those fake Daerons.

Really hope the Cannibal gets a chance to shine there.

We still have two 'iron-and-ruby crowns' popping up when King Aenys is crowned for the first time on Dragonstone, and later when Prince Aemond takes up his brother's crown as the Prince Regent.

I expect those were overlooked and are not supposed to be other crowns of Aegon the Conqueror ;-).

Edit:

Unfortunately they weren't able to catch both instances were Laena is confused with Daemon's first wife:

This sentence is still the same:

In truth, there were only two claimants the realm was like to accept: the king’s half-sisters Baela and Rhaena Targaryen, Prince Daemon’s twin daughters by his first wife, Lady Laena Velaryon.

This should also be 'his second wife, Lady Laena Velaryon'.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 4:42 PM, Lord Varys said:

I guess the fact that we still have this here should be seen as an oversight:

This should be Ser Corwyn Corbray since Lord Leowyn, Corwyn's elder brother, remains the Lord Corbray up until his death, and he is still succeeded by Lord Quenton Corbray whose uncle Ser Corwyn remains.

Also, this is the only instance that Corwyn Corbray is called 'Lord' rather than Ser, despite the fact that he shows up rather often after the death of his elder brother, Lord Leowyn. Not to mention that Quenton is explicitly referenced as being the Lord of Heart's Home when Corwyn dies, meaning he cannot have succeeded Corwyn in that capacity. Instead it is effectively confirmed that Quenton is a son of Lord Leowyn Corbray.

Ser Corwyn Corbray served as regent to Aegon III.

All of his regents held the title of lord, regardless of if they were lords in their own right.  

Torrhen Manderly and Kevan Lannister were not lords when they took on the Regency, yet both hold the title of Lord( Appendix of ADWDs confirms this). Torrhen became lord of White Harbor in his own right only after the regency started and his father and brother died. 

1 hour ago, dsjj251 said:

Ser Corwyn Corbray served as regent to Aegon III.

All of his regents held the title of lord, regardless of if they were lords in their own right.  

Torrhen Manderly and Kevan Lannister were not lords when they took on the Regency, yet both hold the title of Lord( Appendix of ADWDs confirms this). Torrhen became lord of White Harbor in his own right only after the regency started and his father and brother died.

That argument would make sense if (1) Ser Torrhen Manderly was referred to as Lord Torrhen Manderly while one of the regents, which he isn't (he only becomes a lord after his father and elder brother die and steps down as regent and returns home and is consistently called Ser Torrhen (Manderly) while serving as regent), (2) Corwyn Corbray would be consistently styled 'Lord' rather than 'Ser' while a regent, which he isn't, it is one time aberration that he is referred to as lord, and that takes place at a time when Ser Corwyn is still just a knight, considering he is only much later, in the last chapter of the book, in fact, appointed a regent, and (3) Ser Kevan would be actually seen as a lord rather than a mere Ser while he served Tommen as regent. Which he isn't, Ser Kevan is 'the Lord Regent, Ser Kevan Lannister', not 'the Lord Regent, Lord Kevan Lannister'. Or do you recall anybody thinking and talking about Ser Kevan as Lord Kevan while he is the Lord Regent? This is an temporary office, it does not come with a lordship or even a lordly title aside from the 'my lord' address which you get if you are a person of high rank even if you aren't actually a proper lord.

You also have to keep in mind that this is a history book where the author in question, a learned archmaester, should keep the titles straight. He should not make mistakes like that, and if it were that knights or other non-lords were temporarily promoted to the rank and title of lords while serving on the regency council, then this should be properly established by the learned author, just it should be remarked upon when a person stepping down from the regency council lost that honor. But there is nothing of that sort in the text.

This is a clear mistake.

Archived