Explosion in Beiriut

karaddin

Geez, the shot from the car, with the force of the second explosion blowing out the car’s windows...

It looks like the fireworks exploded first, the smaller explosion, and then the ammonium nitrate. Seeing those top three videos seems to confirm the story about the warehouse being true. I guess someone could have deliberately set fire to the fireworks knowing the ammonium nitrate was stored nearby.

I was reading something this morning [not sure how accurate] about the prevalence of blindness due to flying glass et debris. :(

The footage being recovered, the scale, just an incredible tragedy.

On top of everything else, it'd be real hard to maintain social distancing when trying to recover from something like this. Both the immediate aftermath and the recovery. 

So beyond the directly attributable deaths and injuries, I wonder how many will die or suffer permanent damage from a bout with COVID that they would not have gotten if not for the explosion.

Just an immense catastrophe.

@Fez and that's all true even before you take into account the hospital's being damaged by the blast as well.

Looks like my fear about the food supply was right as well :(

The combination of cutting off the supply route and destroying the stockpile in the huge silos is really bad. 

Just for some quick comparison, the OKC federal building bombing used around 2 metric tons of ammonium nitrate. This was 2,750 tons, so more than 3 orders of magnitude more powerful. 

168 people were killed in the OKC bombing, so I'd be shocked if the death toll doesn't rise considerably. The only (possible) saving grace is that it occurred in a port, so maybe it wasn't as heavily populated in the immediate vicinity of the blast.

What a terrible tragedy.

Archived