Gendry's behaviour in AFFC - (Brienne's chapters with the Brotherhood)

jennyofnewstones

This is my first post here though I've been reading topics and threads for years

. I'm on AFFC in my Coronavirus ™ re-read and Brienne is after meeting Gendry. I think George highlighted Gendry being angry and scowling partially to contrast with Renly's easy and happy demeanour as Gendry does serve as sort of a "Ghost of Renly" in Brienne's eyes but we also see two other characters with a first impression of Gendry :Ned finds him to be stubborn as a primary characteristic, to Arya he is known as "The Bull" - he's the strongest and most intimidating of the younger NW recruits, but Gendry as we see him in Brienne's POV is angry and scowling - "eyes brimming with anger and suspicion", beating steel like it was a foe in contrast to it being previously described as an all-engrossing art, scowling even more than usual and pretty much his every interaction with Brienne. 

He seems to have gone through more of a personality change since the events of the Red Wedding, Beric's death and Stoneheart taking over the Brotherhood than he did while he was in Harrenhal. And Harrenhal was literal hell

In my opinion this might be indicative of him being at odds with Lady Stoneheart's methods but it's also likely because of Arya's disappearance. We hear him say "Him" when he thought it was the Hound in a way that was non-descript and almost... ominous? It was probably him or Harwin that was calling for Arya when she was taken by the Hound and the biggest difference in his character is this excess of anger so what do you think were George's reasons for rubbing it in quite so much? And do you think it might aid a coming plot point in Winds; whether it be with Brienne's search, Jaime's meeting with Stoneheart, or the theoretical second Red Wedding (he does seem to be developing a vengeful side with him being more violent that we've seen him so far, and of course, following Lady Stoneheart). 

• 1 month later...

He's definately getting more vengeful. It is important to note that when he mistook Rorge for the Hound because of the dog's helm, it was after the butchery of Saltpans which everyone attributed to the Hound. Anyways, Gendry was always a bit of a grouch. And the last few years of wandering through a warzone and then ending up with outlaws led by a revenge zombie would be enough to make anyone an unforgiving misanthrope.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:43 PM, jennyofnewstones said:

This is my first post here though I've been reading topics and threads for years

. I'm on AFFC in my Coronavirus ™ re-read and Brienne is after meeting Gendry. I think George highlighted Gendry being angry and scowling partially to contrast with Renly's easy and happy demeanour as Gendry does serve as sort of a "Ghost of Renly" in Brienne's eyes but we also see two other characters with a first impression of Gendry :Ned finds him to be stubborn as a primary characteristic, to Arya he is known as "The Bull" - he's the strongest and most intimidating of the younger NW recruits, but Gendry as we see him in Brienne's POV is angry and scowling - "eyes brimming with anger and suspicion", beating steel like it was a foe in contrast to it being previously described as an all-engrossing art, scowling even more than usual and pretty much his every interaction with Brienne. 

He seems to have gone through more of a personality change since the events of the Red Wedding, Beric's death and Stoneheart taking over the Brotherhood than he did while he was in Harrenhal. And Harrenhal was literal hell

In my opinion this might be indicative of him being at odds with Lady Stoneheart's methods but it's also likely because of Arya's disappearance. We hear him say "Him" when he thought it was the Hound in a way that was non-descript and almost... ominous? It was probably him or Harwin that was calling for Arya when she was taken by the Hound and the biggest difference in his character is this excess of anger so what do you think were George's reasons for rubbing it in quite so much? And do you think it might aid a coming plot point in Winds; whether it be with Brienne's search, Jaime's meeting with Stoneheart, or the theoretical second Red Wedding (he does seem to be developing a vengeful side with him being more violent that we've seen him so far, and of course, following Lady Stoneheart). 

Basically, Gendry’s got Renly’s looks and Stannis’s disposition.

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

We'll have a hidden Robert jumping out soon too... In the bed and battlefield 

That might make Gendry the best candidate for a leader left alive. He's handsome as Renly, as just as Stannis, and as ferocious in battle as Robert? Gendry could be the ultimate Baratheon in its final form. Like when Piccolo and Kami reunited and formed the Nameless Namekian again.

34 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

That might make Gendry the best candidate for a leader left alive. He's handsome as Renly, as just as Stannis, and as ferocious in battle as Robert? Gendry could be the ultimate Baratheon in its final form. Like when Piccolo and Kami reunited and formed the Nameless Namekian again.

One of the many reasons why I think he's best for the next LoSE.

On 8/4/2020 at 4:43 PM, jennyofnewstones said:

Ah welcome @jennyofnewstones!  Every word written from Brienne's taking dinner to Gendry to when she meets Jamie at Pennytree is dripping with "something is not right here".   Not only do we have the new knight Gendry loaded with negative wording, but Thoros an old knight displaying a marked change in personality.  Lem Lemoncloak (another old knight likely) is even acting weirdly out of character.  While I don't disagree that Gendry may well be the very best of all Baratheons, it may be too early to really pin that down.   He did give Brienne up to LSH after she defended him with her face even.  Then again, Gendry is a relatively new member of the BwB, making him prone to blindly follow orders.  Lem and Thoros could have become truly broken men. 

I cannot recall which specific topic I read about the Inn at the Crossroads being set up as a "trap" of sorts for Arya, but the idea hasn't left my radar.  Gendry could be with this particular faction of the BwB specifically to find Arya or not.   But I think he wants to find Arya as a matter beyond his membership in the BwB.   They were friends.  Arya saved Gendry more than once.  I would not be surprised to learn that finding and protecting Arya is a big honking deal to Gendry born of loyalty and guilt.  As to the aggressive stance Gendry takes specifically with Brienne, could he be angry that Brienne is looking for the wrong Stark sister (in his opinion)?    

Arya's disappearance has to be bugging Gendry.  He had the opportunity to join her on the remainder of her quest to return home.   He chose to stay with the BwB and his friend was lost to none other than The Hound.   Had I made this choice the guilt would eat me alive.   Arya is after all, just a little girl.  

The only other thing I've got for all the weirdness from Thoros to Lem to Gendry is the fact that they actually had Arya and allowed her to escape.  We know LSH is not Catelyn Tully, but a remnant of Cat's horror.  It's entirely possible LSH approached all of them exactly as she did with Brienne, with unwavering and irrational judgement.  That would make me weird and angry and frightened for any transgression (she deemed) I made against her even if it was Arya who left the company.  

23 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

He's definately getting more vengeful.

Instead of sticking around for the hangings he's gone back to the children, to protect them.

Gendry is angry at the world because he was born a bastard and a bastard can't marry a highborn girl/woman. And he may believe Arya is dead.

Gendry will be Kingsguard, the White Bull is his foreshadowing. The theme is love against duty, his love of Arya against his Kingsguard duty. He's going to break his vows the one time and bed Arya, and she will fall pregnant, just like the angry bastard Jon, Gendry too is going to father his own bastard.

Gendry will be on the losing side of Jon's conquest south, and refuse to bend the knee, that's (partly) what the stubbornness is about and the White Bull's dialogue. Jon will be of a mind to oblige Gendry's stubbornness and take his head, only Arya will give Jon what he wants in exchange for Gendry's life, that is she will marry who Jon says. 

Archived