Chataya de Fleury

Baru Cormorant ....the Tyrant - SPOILERS ABOUND

Posted (edited)

Ok, so I’m super excited about this book. I thought the style diverged a bit from book 1 to book 2, but re-read book 2 and have a bit of a new appreciation. 

very much looking forward to Book 3. 

which, of course, is in ONE WEEK!!! (August 11)

Edited by Chataya de Fleury
Excitement and thread title

I really liked the first one and I have the second but haven't read it yet.  I'll get to them at some point relatively soon.   

Posted (edited)

What is this...?  I can't recall ever hearing about it, but I'm always up for something new...

Edited: Okay.  This is interesting...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

I'm looking forward to this one too.

Didn't realize it was coming out so soon , going to have to put some pepper on the book I'm currently reading so I can enjoy The Tyrant with the least distraction.

1 hour ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

I didn't even realise book 2 was out. There was like 0 buzz on the blogs I frequent despite there being hype for the first book. 

Book 2 felt....slightly different, stylistically.

8 hours ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

I didn't even realise book 2 was out. There was like 0 buzz on the blogs I frequent despite there being hype for the first book. 

Probably because they read the first book :P 

Posted (edited)

I think the first book went out of print in the UK. No interest or buzz around it at all here (I'm not helping, I've had it for over a year and not got round to it yet). Doesn't help they gave it a different name.

Edited by Werthead

Remember quite a healthy bit of buzz around the first book and - expecting to be disappointed as usual - found that it was quite good. Felt the second book lost the thread a bit, but intrigued at how the story will resolve in the third.

On the whole, a lot more impressed with this trilogy than, say, the Jemisin one people seem to love. That's one that hit a brick wall for me after an impressive debut.

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

Doesn't help they gave it a different name.

Yeah, the UK titles of these books are ... not great.  (I guess the idea behind the renaming is that books with explicitly fantasy-sounding names don't sell as well? Or was there some other reason?)

I rather liked the first book (althougb the only discussion of it online I can remember seeing was a thread on this forum full of people saying how much they hated it),  so I've been meaning to try the other two at some point.  But The Traitor... was a bit more depressing than anything else I've been trying to read this year, and I'm guessing the sequels aren't much more cheerful.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:13 AM, Werthead said:

I think the first book went out of print in the UK. No interest or buzz around it at all here (I'm not helping, I've had it for over a year and not got round to it yet). Doesn't help they gave it a different name.

Whoa, hold up.

You haven't read The Traitor yet, Wert?

18 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Whoa, hold up.

You haven't read The Traitor yet, Wert?

Nope.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Nope.

Yeah, sorry. I got that, more of a statement of incredulity.

It's a very different take on where The Dagger and the Coin series somewhat went with Cithrin. Definitely interested to read your thoughts on it once you do [it's really good, imo]

Edited by JEORDHl

14 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Yeah, sorry. I got that, more of a statement of incredulity.

It's a very different take on where The Dagger and the Coin series somewhat went with Cithrin. Definitely interested to read your thoughts on it once you do [it's really good, imo]

Yes, Baru is an accountant by training and HENCE, I AM SO IN LOVE...

Spoiler

Remember how Nicholas de Fleury grows up with an understanding of accounting and economics and sets out to wreck the economy of Scotland?

similar, for Baru, with the difference being she / her culture is somewhat forcibly assimilated by an economic conqueror.

Posted (edited)

Yeah.

Also she's, on occasion, arrogantly blinded by her own brilliance, yet still a complete bad ass. Until the latter part of The Traitor, anyway, which carries into The Monster. The mask gets some cracks.

edit: I should try to crunch in a reread before The Tyrant, but I know I won't have the time. :(

Edited by JEORDHl

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:edit: I should try to crunch in a reread before The Tyrant, but I know I won't have the time. :(

I did a reread of book 1 after finishing book 2, and then also re-read book 2, which answered many questions and also provided more of a stylistic bridge for me.

There were some surprises, which are good, but I don't recall The Monster being too much of a departure for me.

YMMV, obvs.   

Posted (edited)

You know, I just came to the shocking realization that any story with an accountant as the protagonist is like Chataya-bait.

Dagger and the Coin (Cithrin)

The [Traitor, Monster, Tyrant] Baru Cormorant (Baru)

House of Niccolo [Niccolo AND shit, uh, damn it - his wife. Please forgive my brain fog, I just had jaw surgery today] GEILIS. That’s right. Just popped into my head.

Edited by Chataya de Fleury
A name