Chataya de Fleury

Baru Cormorant ....the Tyrant - SPOILERS ABOUND

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Fascinating read.  So very non traditional.  Absolutely moving to book 2 next.  

For me the second book is such an improvement over the first it's crazy. Just tightened up every aspect of the writing.

Some way over halfway into Tyrant and it's... pretty crazy. Having to take short breaks to read other stuff coz it's piling so much stuff on.

Finished Tyrant now. Good, although it's always a little weird reading a book where

the climactic confrontation is ultimately described and won hundreds of pages before it even begins. It also left a lot more on the table than I expected- I suppose there was no reason to think this was gonna be just a trilogy but for a lot of the book it was setting up like a trilogy capper. The next book will be very very different.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, JEORDHl said:

I'm not sure if the new external threat was necessary, unless SD couldn't figure out how to resolve everything without a universal uniter.  

Couple of thoughts on why this might not be entirely as it seems:

The first is that them sharing the brain out to their prisoners is

very Cancrioth. The second is far, far more tenuous and possibly the name has an explanation I missed, or forgot from previous books, but Iraji refers to Apparitor as The Lightning Man. That one doesn't make much sense admittedly and Cancrioth related stuff is much more likely. Especially since the Eye tells us he knows lands far beyond Falcrest's maps.

i also swear I remember someone referring randomly to having business across the endless sea or beyond the end of the world or something like that that stood out in the moment but I didn't note it or anything and may be misremembering the phrasing.[.spoiler]

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Finished Tyrant now. Good, although it's always a little weird reading a book where

Reveal hidden contents

the climactic confrontation is ultimately described and won hundreds of pages before it even begins. It also left a lot more on the table than I expected- I suppose there was no reason to think this was gonna be just a trilogy but for a lot of the book it was setting up like a trilogy capper. The next book will be very very different.

Couple of thoughts on why this might not be entirely as it seems:

Hide contents

The first is that them sharing the brain out to their prisoners is

very Cancrioth. The second is far, far more tenuous and possibly the name has an explanation I missed, or forgot from previous books, but Iraji refers to Apparitor as The Lightning Man. That one doesn't make much sense admittedly and Cancrioth related stuff is much more likely. Especially since the Eye tells us he knows lands far beyond Falcrest's maps.

i also swear I remember someone referring randomly to having business across the endless sea or beyond the end of the world or something like that that stood out in the moment but I didn't note it or anything and may be misremembering the phrasing.[.spoiler]

Hmn. There was also...

Spoiler

the bit in the book where Svir is considering his experience with the Lightning, and how [winging from memory here] it accelerates his thoughts/decision making processes.

To me that suggests something else, non-Cancrioth. Remains to be seen, I guess.

I suppose I just wish it had been foreshadowed a little more, unless there's details I've forgotten [which it very well may have been. I'm definitely due for a back to back reread]

About to start Book 2. The map in the front of this volume already elevates this one for me...

On 8/31/2020 at 5:33 PM, JEORDHl said:

Hmn. There was also...

Hide contents

the bit in the book where Svir is considering his experience with the Lightning, and how [winging from memory here] it accelerates his thoughts/decision making processes.

To me that suggests something else, non-Cancrioth. Remains to be seen, I guess.

I suppose I just wish it had been foreshadowed a little more, unless there's details I've forgotten [which it very well may have been. I'm definitely due for a back to back reread]

I need to reread but I recall:

Svir has a scene in maybe book 2 where he recalls the far continent and his adventure there and something about the Lightning.

Based in the author note at the end of book 3, I think the Lightning is a different phenomenon from the Cancrioth.

Book 2 so far: Definitely stronger, though requires just as much back and forth every couple pages to catch everything.  It's dense in its way, and trying to discern how each thought and paragraph fit...occasionally challenging, though I suspect that's just me.  

On 9/1/2020 at 3:04 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

About to start Book 2. The map in the front of this volume already elevates this one for me...

HA! You're a Map Person. 

I am a non-Map Person, but I figure I can just have you Map People explain things to me if necessary.

23 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

HA! You're a Map Person. 

I am a non-Map Person, but I figure I can just have you Map People explain things to me if necessary.

I'm a total Map Person.  Maps are, when they're done well, wonderful additions to stories.  

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm a total Map Person.  Maps are, when they're done well, wonderful additions to stories.  

I can't read a map in real life. It's just meaningless to me, sadly. Probably has to do with my difficulty with spatial relationships.

Nearly done with book 2 finally...trippy in many ways.  Still trying to sort out exactly what is going on...

Is just me or are the secret powers behind the throne not really that secret..

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Nearly done with book 2 finally...trippy in many ways.  Still trying to sort out exactly what is going on...

Is just me or are the secret powers behind the throne not really that secret..

Not really that secret :) IMO.

7 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Not really that secret :) IMO.

It's almost comical in some ways...there is supposed to be this big, bad secret cabal, but they all seem hell bent on letting everyone know who they are as the seemingly bumble from place to place...it's a weird dynamic...

I think the twist works well as the state makes the authoritarian governments of Nazi Germany, Rome, and Stalinist Russia look like geniuses but the actual historical record shows them to be varying degrees of morons as well as madmen.

About to start book 3...now I can catch up to you guys...and hopefully the start of three will help me understand exactly what the eff happened at the end of two...

And the book has its map, but adds a dramatis personae at the start. Helpful...

Been a slow read...mainly due to work getting in the way...but a little over half way through Tyrant and it almost finally feels like the pieces are starting to fit together a bit more...