Sign in to follow this  
Chataya de Fleury

Skincare - and death of Clarisonic

I used to find the whole humidifier thing really confusing - it comes up a lot in articles about skincare routines and products. It took me a while to realise that this was a north American thing. I guess the UK is so freaking damp that we don't have this issue? From a personal perspective, our flat is so efficient and well insulated that the heating hardly ever comes on even in winter so it doesn't tend to get dry in here. One less thing to worry about anyway.

Does anyone wear spf at home/indoors/if they aren't going outside? I've seen some articles say that we should wear it ALL THE TIME.

7 hours ago, Isis said:

Does anyone wear spf at home/indoors/if they aren't going outside? I've seen some articles say that we should wear it ALL THE TIME.

Yes, I do. I’ve read that the blue light of our electronic devices can also cause skin ageing, so I do use SPF and 3/4 of the time I’m inside and at home. I’m not perfect, though, so not all the time. Especially if it’s raining out, there’s a lack of motivation that hits me when it’s raining out.

12 hours ago, Isis said:

I opted out of it because it feels like a waste of product that just sits on my skin pretty much needlessly . The weather is dreary, the room I work in doesn’t get a huge amount of natural light, it gets dark at 4, so the only time I’m anywhere near the sun is at the weekend for two hours. For this reason, I do apply sunscreen on days I go out when it’s still light. Otherwise, no. I’m sure there’s research to counter this approach but I don’t see myself changing it. 

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yes, I do. I’ve read that the blue light of our electronic devices can also cause skin ageing, so I do use SPF and 3/4 of the time I’m inside and at home. I’m not perfect, though, so not all the time. Especially if it’s raining out, there’s a lack of motivation that hits me when it’s raining out.

Yeah, this was mostly why I was asking. I have my phone set to keep the blue light filter on permanently and I have my laptop set to 'nighttime'. This is because I'm photosensitive though, not for my skin. I am not sure if these settings make an appreciable difference to the damage screen time does to your skin. I have an spf mist spray which I could use while WFH (and not going outside) I guess. 

12 hours ago, Isis said:

No. I only put it on if I know I’m going to be in direct sunlight for 30 minutes or longer. 

I will also note that I have Fitzpatrick scale “1.5” (per my dermatologist; he says “most people would say 1, but your genetics are interesting and someone could really screw your face up if they didn’t see the slight olive undertone as well”) skin, and do a good number  of medium chemical peels (4 Perfect Peels per year, one every 4 weeks), and laser on the off-peel time; hence, the reason I am super careful. 

Edited by Chataya de Fleury

I have super sensitive skin (I've had eczema since I was an infant), so it's hard for me to find suitable stuff to use, especially on my face. And I need to use something, because even where I don't have eczema patches, I get painfully dry and cracked skin. Especially in winter.

I pretty much use Aveeno (or lately store brand oatmeal products because half the price), and I still do, but then I was finally able to go to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland on my way back from Worldcon in London. I can't recommend their products enough for people with sensitive skin. It is expensive, but totally worth it. To make their stuff last longer, I alternate with the oatmeal stuff.

I only wash my hair once a week (unless my scalp breaks out), and I use their shampoo, which I can make last for a while, because I have super short/shaved hair. I also scrub my hands with it after scrubbing my head. I actually ran out recently, so I switched to using their body wash on my head. Works just as good, and smells amazing. Hell, I'll even run the puff full of Aveeno body wash over my head if I'm out of Blue Lagoon stuff! Love having such short hair. 

Their masks are really good too. I've tried the algae and the lava as free samples, but I mostly stick to the silica mud mask. I use that once a week normally, but will use it more if I get a breakout (living with a cat I'm allergic to means I will, especially since he likes to sleep by/on my face). I also use it on my hands when the eczema breaks out (my worst spot). I have their body oil too, which holy crap is the only thing that really works on my legs (because of eczema, I get scaling on my shins, which as it sounds, looks like scales).

I use the shampoo, body wash, oil, body scrub, face exfoliator, and body moisturizer. The only product of theirs I tried that was a dud was the Mineral Intensive cream, because it has lanolin in it, which I'm allergic to. I read the ingredients on all the other stuff, but somehow not that one! Could have saved myself the expensive lesson on "what's it like to have your hands look and feel like fire". Glad I didn't put it on my face!

I haven't tried their sunscreen yet, and I really should. I developed an allergy to the sun several years ago (because of course I did!). I have fair skin and always burned quickly, but now I get swollen and a pretty bad rash after just a few minutes in the sun. Now I tend to hide in the shadows...

Using the Blue Lagoon stuff has also drastically reduced my use of fairly strong prescription steroid creams. I went from using them once or twice a day for 40+ years to once a day two to three times a week. This summer, I went almost a month without using any at all. And my skin is soft! Their stuff is amazeballz.

I used to have pretty bad eczema as a kid. Then once I was an adult it went away except for stress-based flare ups. In my 30s it almost totally disappeared (I got rid of a big stress source) and now it's very rare. I have a tiny patch between two fingers currently, partly stress (moving house, covid workload) and partly weather. 

Pretty sure that lanolin used to make my skin sting, but now I'm ok with it. Either I grew out of that sensitivity or it was only an issue on broken skin? But I definitely empathise with the scaly life. My skin gets so hot still. I shave my legs every day and I find that helps prevent any itching. 

Have you tried using face oil on top of your moisturiser? I love face oils. I just find them really comforting. 

Yeah, it was really bad when I was a kid. Like multiple hospital stays wrapped up like a mummy bad. It did get better in my mid-teens when I started UVB treatments, which I haven't done in about a decade, because it never came back bad enough. Now it's really only my hands that suck, but I still get scattered patches mostly on my face and feet. I'll always have things that make it flare up (sweat, dust, etc), but living with a cat again is what really sets me off. I really didn't want another one after my glorious chubby boy died last boxing day. I love the new little arsehole, but I was 90% eczema free not having a cat around for six months.

I'm the opposite with shaving my legs. It seems to make it worse. I only shave below the knee and only in the summer, and I have to use the body scrub to get rid of the scaling first or the razor just...catches. Luckily, I'm not super hairy and it doesn't grow back fast. I only have to shave them once a week.

I haven't tried face oils yet, but I got a Blue Lagoon email about a week ago, and they make one now! I'm totally getting it with my next order. I love their body oil, and I use it on my hands a lot. It's always wash then 'roids (if needed) then oil then moisturizer on top.

Edited by Tyria