US Politics: Butter Not Guns

DMC

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Seriously, that interview, anyone who thinks it was okay Mueller didn't interview this idiot needs to open their eyes. He could have made him sing like a canary if he just asked him what his fucking name was.....

Abandoning my salient on the AG of NY's announcement, I am much more interested in this line of thinking than most folks it seems.

I am of the opinion that Mueller should be brought to task for dereliction of duty.

Me from the last thread...

My issues aren't with the charges, it with the "dissolve the NRA" because that is what's making the headlines right now. I hope you guys are right, I really do. But I'm eyeing battleground states like Florida and even Texas which has had the races neck and neck. 

And I also think we could have had MORE feckless handwringing in 2016 when I saw SO MUCH overconfidence from people here and elsewhere.

Why does this title make me thing of Butters?....

Anyways, I do agree this will probably just be null in the end, but I wanted to offer what seems like the logical retort to it.

Also, given this is a state law issue, how does that even work if they just want to relocate and cut bait with the leadership being accused of said crimes, technical in nature as they may be?

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

And I also think we could have had MORE feckless handwringing in 2016 when I saw SO MUCH overconfidence from people here and elsewhere.

Heh, fair enough, but I don't think the two are really comparable.  Neglecting to prosecute the NRA for widespread fraud because you are worried about the political consequences is much different than being cautious/non-complacent about winning a presidential election.

3 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Abandoning my salient on the AG of NY's announcement, I am much more interested in this line of thinking than most folks it seems.

I am of the opinion that Mueller should be brought to task for dereliction of duty.

No, he's just someone with an ultra (small c) conservative view of the law. If every i and t isn't dotted and crossed, he's not going to make a move. I think he thought in earnest that he gave Congress enough to do their job, but he was wrong. And history will be his justice, which he may fear more than anything. We must remember, this isn't some dickless coward. He lead troops in a forward position in a major theater of war. A lot will haunt him, but I suspect this may as much as any. That's his prison sentence. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, he's just someone with an ultra (small c) conservative view of the law. If every i and t isn't dotted and crossed, he's not going to make a move. I think he thought in earnest that he gave Congress enough to do their job, but he was wrong. And history will be his justice, which he may fear more than anything. We must remember, this isn't some dickless coward. He lead troops in a forward position in a major theater of war. A lot will haunt him, but I suspect this may as much as any. That's his prison sentence. 

So he's a fucking fool? I don't believe this.

Deutsche Bank was also served a subpoena by NY prosecutors for Trump's financial records, which they complied with. There should be some new revelations, by which time this whole NRA kerfuffle will be forgotten,

I dont think such a story has legs 3 months out when we still have the overarching stories of COVID and the economic collapse. The number of actual members of the NRA are also not that high, I suspect.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

One of the rare Republican governors who has taken the virus seriously from the beginning. Hopefully he recovers quickly, his state needs him.

As serious as he has been, DeWine has also been feckless and waffled on some things, like having some heft to the mask mandates.  He's done some good, but he's still a Republican, so expect little and rejoice when things are better than you hoped.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh, fair enough, but I don't think the two are really comparable.  Neglecting to prosecute the NRA for widespread fraud because you are worried about the political consequences is much different than being cautious/non-complacent about winning a presidential election.

Again, to me it's not prosecuting the NRA...they appear to have a mountain of evidence against them. It's the "dissolve" part. That is what people will be hearing and everything else might get drowned out. 

10 minutes ago, Trebla said:

It's the "dissolve" part. That is what people will be hearing and everything else might get drowned out. 

Yeah, I agree that's not the best messaging.  Anyone with a brain should know what James is referring to is banning them for New York state, but sure that'll definitely be something the GOP will try and use.  I just think the numbers and precedent suggest that won't be successful for swing voters.  Regardless, t is kind of a silly way to put it though.  Trump suggested they move to Texas, which obviously they could do. 

And their headquarters are in Fairfax.  I've been there!  When I was at AU I did this "Washington Semester" where the two professors in charge organized field trips to a bunch of places and/or meetings with politicians/political operatives.  Got to meet Max Cleland.  When we went to the NRA they first had a spokesperson give a presentation to us.  Man, I've rarely ever gotten such creepy cultish vibes as that.  Then they offered to have us go shoot in the gun range they have downstairs.  Many did, but about 5-7 us just went outside to hang out and smoke.  I did like how cool they were with us chain smoking right by their main entrance.  Probably saw almost all the employees that were there come out and do the same during the hour or so we were waiting.

Anyway, even if you could disband the NRA nationally, another group will just replace them.  And that group will probably be even more fascistic and corrupt.

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump said Biden hates the Bible today. Trump's brain works in very strange and bizarre ways, but I don't understand why claiming your opponent, who is actually a devout RC who regularly attends church, hates the Bible would help you.

Well that's 2 of the 3 G's of Republican Red Meat: God and guns. They've won a lot of elections scaring Republicans that Libs are gonna take their guns and ban God. They are just missing the 3rd G: gays. What's next today? Gay Rights make everyone gay? 

So it's looking more and more like Lindsey Graham is indeed in a real fight with Jaime Harrison.  Six polls have been conducted since May, and 5 of them have been within the MOE.  Today Quinnipiac has it tied.  

Obviously, it's three months out and Graham is still favored.  But the fact that an incumbent in a R+15 state is in real trouble is a pretty damn good sign for flipping the Senate.  

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

So it's looking more and more like Lindsey Graham is indeed in a real fight with Jaime Harrison.  Six polls have been conducted since May, and 5 of them have been within the MOE.  Today Quinnipiac has it tied.  

Obviously, it's three months out and Graham is still favored.  But the fact that an incumbent in a R+15 state is in real trouble is a pretty damn good sign for flipping the Senate.  

Interestingly it doesn't look like its from his early flirtations of being kinda anti-Trump (remember those days?). When polled on it, 10% of Republicans said he was not supportive enough of Trump, which is about standard for most Republican senators, maybe even a little better than most.

Instead, for whatever reason, he seems to have lost way more from the relative center than you'd expect for a state as red as SC and is seemingly running quite a bit behind Trump.

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Trump said Biden hates the Bible today. Trump's brain works in very strange and bizarre ways, but I don't understand why claiming your opponent, who is actually a devout RC who regularly attends church, hates the Bible would help you.

Idk, same reason a mildly spiritual agnostic Jew could figure out what you meant by RC while a self-identified religious zealot had no clue what you were talking about while saying people are Christians even if they don't know they are?

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

And their headquarters are in Fairfax.  I've been there!  When I was at AU I did this "Washington Semester" where the two professors in charge organized field trips to a bunch of places and/or meetings with politicians/political operatives.  Got to meet Max Cleland.  When we went to the NRA they first had a spokesperson give a presentation to us.  Man, I've rarely ever gotten such creepy cultish vibes as that.  Then they offered to have us go shoot in the gun range they have downstairs.  Many did, but about 5-7 us just went outside to hang out and smoke.  I did like how cool they were with us chain smoking right by their main entrance.  Probably saw almost all the employees that were there come out and do the same during the hour or so we were waiting.

As an aside, apropos of nothing relevant, I once had a meeting at a cigarette manufacturer's plant here in Ontario, an international brand name. The company I worked for was doing a major project (it was the mid 90s) checking every single manufacturing site it ever had for contaminants. The site, beside the cigarette factory, showed up PCBs in the ground under one corner, that had drifted underground onto their property.

The reception area at the building had these wooden boxes on the tables by the chairs, filled with loose cigarettes, for a visitor's pleasure. Our meeting was in a smallish conference room to one side, and the three of us were faced with 10 middle-aged white guys in suits, all of whom looked stressed and all of whom were chain-smoking in this fucking little room. Smoking in offices hadn't been banned yet. The VP of Environmental made his presentation and tried to reassure them we would take care of all of the clean-up on their property, quickly and without fuss, so no one could associate cigarettes and PCBs. He sort of said that as a joke, and sort of to stick a knife in them. The silence in the meeting, except for puff-puff-puffing, was hilarious. I don't know how we kept a straight face. For that matter, I'm not sure we all kept a straight face.

It was truly one of the creepiest places I had ever been to. The VP cursed them under his breath as we drove away, back to hq, muttering about the nerve of the cancer-stick bastards being so worried about our PCBs.

I think your comment about going outside to chain smoke reminded me of that day.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, same reason a mildly spiritual agnostic Jew could figure out what you meant by RC while a self-identified religious zealot had no clue what you were talking about while saying people are Christians even if they don't know they are?

Er, Americans wouldn't know RC means Roman Catholic?

Archived