US Politics: Butter Not Guns

DMC

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Haven't you heard, after 3 months in office he's stepping down once he's installed a communist regime.

The joke was more about having to live another four years with the orange one. And I don't think he would install a communist regime. A sorta military junta with his fuckwitted Uday and Qusay versions in charge, that I could believe.

15 hours ago, Castellan said:

Bike riding really doesn't count!

It counts when the opponent is a morbidly obese figure who has to be driven everywhere in a golf cart. This is particularly true when Biden provides a real media-happy zinger to repeat while doing it when an awful Fox person shoved a mike in his face and demanded to know if Biden had picked a VP running mate -- and he responded, "Yes I have -- it's you."

I actually heard about this, and I pay no attention to almost any of it because media idiocy and meaninglessness.

The rioting can potentially become a tipping point for swing voters if they view things as having gotten out of control in the urban centers. 

Stories like these are likely a net negative for Democrats seeking election.  

Chicago police arrest more than 100 people after shootout and looting downtown

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/10/us/chicago-crowds-police-looting/index.html

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

It counts when the opponent is a morbidly obese figure who has to be driven everywhere in a golf cart.

Donnie Dipshit is playing the long game here, letting Biden use up his predetermined amount of life energy.

Pretty fitting for a bad Bond Villain. 

12 hours ago, mcbigski said:

In the long run, it's the sum of the short term.  Democracy isn't perfect, but I don't think the anti populist bias you seemed to be showing is healthy either.  And not sure what you mean exactly about "conning everyone", when you correct for the media filter, Trump has tried to complete far more of what promised than anyone since Reagan at least.  I don't want someone to grow in office, I want someone who tries to do what he or she says they'll do.

Sacrificing the future does not a statesman make, especially when its all self-serving. And it goes without saying that Trump is the biggest conman of our times. He projects all his flaws onto his opponents and relies on low information and partisan voters to stay afloat. He's basically a cult leader at this point.

And I'm not sure Trump has tried to complete far more than any president since Reagan. His only accomplishments are a ton of court appointments and a terrible tax bill and McConnell did pretty much all of that for him. Former employees of The Trump Organization have gone on record that he actually does do very much and just comes out for the photo-op.  

I want to start the week off positive, I want to focus on good news-

"Obesity knocks 20 years of good health off your life and can accelerate death by eight years," the Mail Online reports. A study has estimated very obese men aged 20 to 39, with a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or above, have a reduced life expectancy of eight years.Dec 5, 2014

The good news, quite obviously here, is that Trump cant be long away from a massive chest exploding heart attack and will exit stage left sooner than later. Leaving everyone to feel much better about life and the direction of our previous good life here in the U.S.

Just trying to think positive here at the beginning of a new week:thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

"Obesity knocks 20 years of good health off your life and can accelerate death by eight years," the Mail Online reports. A study has estimated very obese men aged 20 to 39, with a body mass index (BMI) of 35 or above, have a reduced life expectancy of eight years.Dec 5, 2014

The good news, quite obviously here, is that Trump cant be long away from a massive chest exploding heart attack and will exit stage left sooner than later. Leaving everyone to feel much better about life and the direction of our previous good life here in the U.S.

I hate to be a downer, but irredeemable sacks of shit without an ounce of compassion tend to hang on longest. Too stupid to die is my theory, but it's less than scientific.

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

There are riots going on in Belarus right now over a stolen election. More or less President for life Lukashenko says he won the election 93% to 7%.

I was bingeing the West Wing over the weekend, and one of the episodes had a subplot about how Belarus sent a team to the White House to learn about the US political system since they wanted to write their own Constitution. At which point one of the Americans says its a terrible idea to mimic their constitution based on the US since most countries that adopt a Presidential system descend into chaos since it confers too much power on the executive, and a parliamentary system would be their best bet (even though the fictional Belarus 'President' was a good man, what happens 10-20 years after him?.  The subtext also was that the US got lucky....have to chuckle about that.

23 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

He’d have had to be very obese at ages 20-39, and sadly he was not

5 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I hate to be a downer, but irredeemable sacks of shit without an ounce of compassion tend to hang on longest. Too stupid to die is my theory, but it's less than scientific.

They aren’t plagued with the anxiety that self examination and the consideration of others inflicts on the rest of us. 

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Also, and veering a bit off topic, the scientific underpinnings of the BMI seem questionable as well. I've read some pretty good threads about it recently. Kind of wish Twitter had a way to bookmark. I'd share if I didn't have to filter through seventeen tons of chaff,

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

At which point one of the Americans says its a terrible idea to mimic their constitution based on the US since most countries that adopt a Presidential system descend into chaos since it confers too much power on the executive, and a parliamentary system would be their best bet (even though the fictional Belarus 'President' was a good man, what happens 10-20 years after him?

Yeah that'd be Toby Ziegler.  I like Christopher Lloyd's response to him though - that what's important is to instill a sense of democracy among its leaders/framers that will be reflected in the constitution.  Anyway, Toby is essentially accurate on that point - whereas a decent amount of assertions made on West Wing are not.

I agree a parliamentary system would be better, but there's a next to nonexistent chance it will ever happen here. Rank choice voting is probably our best hope for better representation, of course alongside doing away with all means of voter suppression. 

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The average life expectancy of a man Trump's age is almost 12 years. Which means even if he were "very obese" (and medically he is almost surely just plain obese, not "very obese") he would still have a life expectancy of four more years. And of course you can't really focus on just one factor -- the facts that he doesn't smoke or drink alcohol, his father lived to be 93 and his mother 88, and that he gets among the best medical care in the world are all going to raise his life expectancy above average, so that even with the obesity his life expectancy is probably up to at least the 12 years average again.

Although it wouldn't be surprising if Trump had a heart attack tomorrow, him dying within the next 4 years really is not likely enough for anybody to count on it. 

(P.S. And as Fury Resurrected pointed out above, the study was of those who were very obese in their 20s and 30s and so doesn't apply to Trump at all really. Sorry I didn't catch that aspect myself before I wrote the above.)

51 minutes ago, Ormond said:

The average life expectancy of a man Trump's age is almost 12 years. Which means even if he were "very obese" (and medically he is almost surely just plain obese, not "very obese") he would still have a life expectancy of four more years. And of course you can't really focus on just one factor -- the facts that he doesn't smoke or drink alcohol, his father lived to be 93 and his mother 88, and that he gets among the best medical care in the world are all going to raise his life expectancy above average, so that even with the obesity his life expectancy is probably up to at least the 12 years average again.

Although it wouldn't be surprising if Trump had a heart attack tomorrow, him dying within the next 4 years really is not likely enough for anybody to count on it. 

(P.S. And as Fury Resurrected pointed out above, the study was of those who were very obese in their 20s and 30s and so doesn't apply to Trump at all really. Sorry I didn't catch that aspect myself before I wrote the above.)

Well, let's assume the rumors of his cocaine abuse during the 1970s/1980s and after are true (personally I think him hitting the clubs in NYC during that area makes them believable), that should cost him a few years. His wealth/SES is usually connected to a somewhat healthier diet. I think the group of MacDonalds fans in that group is sadly underrepresented [so sad, really sad]. But yeah, his access to higher quality healthcare probably ensures he won't drop dead any day now.

29 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Well, let's assume the rumors of his cocaine abuse during the 1970s/1980s and after are true (personally I think him hitting the clubs in NYC during that area makes them believable), that should cost him a few years. His wealth/SES is usually connected to a somewhat healthier diet. I think the group of MacDonalds fans in that group is sadly underrepresented [so sad, really sad]. But yeah, his access to higher quality healthcare probably ensures he won't drop dead any day now.

You also have to factor in the weight of the presidency. His stress levels have to be through the roof unless he really doesn't care like most, if not all, presidents would. 

Archived