US Politics: Butter Not Guns

DMC

Yawn, Harris is fine, and entirely expected. It's actually going to be interesting to see who takes her seat should they win. I'm sure Steyer is going to be going for it, but this could be a chance to get a stronger progressive in there.

9 minutes ago, sologdin said:

a lot of protestant schismatics in the US think that roman catholicism is some sort of paganism.

37 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You leave me speechless. Really.

Is Roman Catholic different than Catholic?  We have a Catholic Church in our town.  

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

HARRIS IS THE PICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is good news!  We are big Kamala fans in this house and she has always done a Great Job for Our State.

Harris has felt like the best pick for months, and I think that this was less about Biden making a decision and more just that strategically they wanted to wait on selecting a VP.  Which is fine, nobody remembers whether the VP pick was made in June or August. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Harris has felt like the best pick for months, and I think that this was less about Biden making a decision and more just that strategically they wanted to wait on selecting a VP.  Which is fine, nobody remembers whether the VP pick was made in June or August. 

I think, much like Obama, he wanted to spend a lot of time making sure that his choice was the right choice and that he could work well with her. I also think he did want to genuinely check out others just in case - especially Rice. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Warren's seat should be fine, even though MA doesn't have a Democratic gov.  Other than that, there's not many Senators that would prospective cabinet member in states without a Dem gov anyway.  Maybe Maryland or New Hampshire.

Last time we thought that, the Democratic caucus lost its filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I think Harris is a solid choice. She's run for office before, she brings no terrible baggage and thus does Biden no harm, and, if elected, she won't yield a tough seat for Democrats to defend.

5 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Yawn, Harris is fine, and entirely expected. It's actually going to be interesting to see who takes her seat should they win. I'm sure Steyer is going to be going for it, but this could be a chance to get a stronger progressive in there.

Yeah. In the grand scheme of things its relatively minor, but, considering how rarely senate seats open in California (Harris is new, but Boxer had that seat for 24 years and Cranston for 24 years before that; Feinstein has had the other seat for 28 years) and how many powerful elected officials are in the state, that'll be an epic race to fill Harris' seat.

McConnell feeling the heat.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is calling for the Trump administration and congressional Democrats to restart negotiations on a fifth coronavirus deal after talks collapsed late last week. 

McConnell, during an interview with Fox News, said it was "time for everybody to get back to the table," though the GOP leader gave no indication that he would reach out to Democratic leaders himself.  

"The stalemate needs to be ended. It doesn't make any difference who says let's get together again, but we ought to get together again," McConnell said, adding things were currently at an "impasse." 

This convinces me more and more that Meadows was a part of negotiations just to blow up any potential deal. I thought Trump wanted a deal out of self-preservation, but it appears that he has come completely unhinged.

Everyone has been so busy telling him what he wants to hear, no one thought to ask what happens when he only believes what he wants to hear. Pelosi probably could have gone all the way down to $1 trillion and Trump probably still would have blown up the deal. No-deal was the predetermined outcome.

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think, much like Obama, he wanted to spend a lot of time making sure that his choice was the right choice and that he could work well with her. I also think he did want to genuinely check out others just in case - especially Rice. 

I think it's both.  Biden absolutely wanted to make sure he's making the right choice and to do a thorough vetting.  But I also think Biden never wanted to announce his pick before mid-August, and thus the Veepstakes rumor mill was going to keep churning along. 

12 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Last time we thought that, the Democratic caucus lost its filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.

Unlikely to happen again.  A special election has to take place within 160 days of the vacancy.  I doubt MA will turn red by next June.

Illinois should be a safe place to pluck a senator for the cabinet, if Duckworth wants in on it, she'd be great as SoD.  That'd be a first too, right? A woman SecDef? Let alone one of color...That'd be just fine.

I suspect Biden will have quite the cabinet overall though.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Calling it now: Katie Porter.

Katie Porter would be great. :)

The only down tick about Harris for me is her avid support for the Israeli state. It's not a deal breaker [not that my opinion matters] and I know that's a mine-laden subject in US politics, but I don't know. Always bothered me a bit.  

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Unlikely to happen again.  A special election has to take place within 160 days of the vacancy.  I doubt MA will turn red by next June.

The loser of Markey v Kennedy would likely step in. If that loser happens to be Kennedy ... I'll be pulling for Pressly to make the leap. Well, I'd vote for her over both - just ESPECIALLY over Kennedy.

57 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

So I didn't follow the Democratic primaries particularly closely, basically because anyone not Trump would be fine, but I thought Harris did surprisingly badly? Is that not a concern?

Nah.

Just now, ljkeane said:

So I didn't follow the Democratic primaries particularly closely, basically because anyone not Trump would be fine, but I thought Harris did surprisingly badly? Is that not a concern?

She didn't do great, that's true. But we don't know how much of that is simply organization and the general environment. 

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

Calling it now: Katie Porter.

Katie Porter is definitely a rising star, but there will be a lot of competition.  The Lt Governor (Kounalakis), the AG (Becerra), Eric Swalwell, Adam Schiff, Karen Bass, Tom Steyer, and hell maybe even Newsome himself will want the job. 

Archived