Arya Jon and Arya Still Endgame?

Wintersshewolf

5 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

And maester Aemon was tested again, too, when he learned of Dany and her dragons, and he himself came to another decision: he basically wanted to desert and disobey his order, to be with her, believing her to be Azor Ahai reborn (who might or might not help against the Others).

Prophecy is a powerful drug.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:23 PM, Wintersshewolf said:

Since there seemed to be evidence for a Jon and Arya romance in the novels even before the infamous original outline came out with them as the main love story of the series, does anyone still think this is the plan going forward or have the characters not aged up fast enough to get there?

Nope. Many things have changed along the way. Jon and any clan-sibling incest is not endgame. There is a chance that Jon and Dany do hook up, but it will not be a romance and such, but rather much more complicated a situation, and it would be a flash in the pan encounter with a dire outcome if it happens at all.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:23 PM, Wintersshewolf said:

I can go either way on it since I do see the foreshadowing and the intensity of Jon's affection for Arya which seems to dictate the type of women he is attracted to. On the other hand, GRRM seems to dither on the topic here. It could be that he's upset that some aspects of his ending were released, including not just Jon/Arya but Jon's parentage. But he might have also developed the story away from everything in that outline that hasn't happened yet in some way.

He was pretty clear that Jon and Arya are not endgame. Even that outline never gave the ending to the story, but rather details to the first book (of the then planned three).

Many changes were made, but more specifically, many things were shifted to another character because of the outcome GRRM wanted and whom he wanted those results associated with.

I won't go through all of the changes here (but I have done this before), and one of the shifts in storytelling was adding Ramsay (a character fromm GRRM's writing past) and then giving her a fake Arya. That is all part of the "lesson" that GRRM is avoiding with the Starks and somewhere along the way he decided to scrap it all together for them and gave it to Cercei and Jaime, Targ incest, Ramsay and Jeyne Poole (gene pool), etc.

27 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It was a hard test for Jon because it was about a lot more than just "killing Ramsay". This is even part of his questioning to himself when he asks his brothers for help. What Jon is doing is actually tapping back in to what the vows actually mean, saving humanity in any "realm", and the decision to make a preemptive strike to stop Ramsay (killed or captured then trialed), is about Jon acting out a larger duty. It wasn't an easy choice because of him being caught between trying to appease "Kings", Melisandre's tricky words, and stopping an incoming threat from the Others and Ramsay about to add to the wight population if Jon doesn't act. Jon chose the more altruistic act of thwarting these vows, supposed rules of conformity, accepting the stigma, and he acted in a manner that he postulates will do the most good in the immediate situation (not that it will solve everything, but that this battle will be over before THE war begins).

I dont know. I can think of harder decisions that he will have to make. And Is it "duty" when its something he's wanted to do for a long time? He will absolutely relish punching in Ramsay's face. And the "what to do with Ramsay's letter" part was pretty easy. If that part was so difficult, the author would not have written it happening off screen. 

1 hour ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I dont know. I can think of harder decisions that he will have to make. And Is it "duty" when its something he's wanted to do for a long time? He will absolutely relish punching in Ramsay's face. And the "what to do with Ramsay's letter" part was pretty easy. If that part was so difficult, the author would not have written it happening off screen. 

That's the thing, it was the right thing to do as we readers know, and as GRRM tends to favor: not just sitting by and "following orders". That is a place where (unfortunately) Barristan Selmy fails.

Also, not sure what you mean by "off screen" because this dilemma and debate happens a lot on page, to me it reads as it's building quite a lot between both the ADWD Jon chapters and Theon's chapters. Heck, I'd go so far myself to say all the way back to earlier books like AGOT when Ramsay is introduced off-page as that existential threat of the monster who is always scariest before seen. However, what Jon has to deal with in his own arc on page is something he struggles with for the reasons listed above. Sometimes it's a very thin fifth wall GRRM is constructing.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That's the thing, it was the right thing to do as we readers know, and as GRRM tends to favor: not just sitting by and "following orders". That is a place where (unfortunately) Barristan Selmy fails.

Yup, agreed on it being the right thing and questioning obedience is #1 in a story of feudal mind slaves. But readers have noted that a lot of things seem to have aligned for Jon to get what he wants in this plotline. He gets an out to attack Ramsay like he wanted. He has freed Arya. He doesn't even care in the end about his NW brothers...he says he doesnt need them. That doesnt sound like he feels much conflict, to be honest. True, he has to pretend he doesn't have a sister but that keeps slipping. The doubts he has leading up to this mostly hinge on whether sending Mance was the right thing or not because of the word of Mel.

Also, not sure what you mean by "off screen" because this dilemma and debate happens a lot on page, to me it reads as it's building quite a lot between both the ADWD Jon chapters and Theon's chapters. Heck, I'd go so far myself to say all the way back to earlier books like AGOT when Ramsay is introduced off-page as that existential threat of the monster who is always scariest before seen. However, what Jon has to deal with in his own arc on page is something he struggles with for the reasons listed above. Sometimes it's a very thin fifth wall GRRM is constructing.

I mean the decision on how to handle Ramsay and Hardhome simultaneously. Why off screen? If it was difficult, shouldn't we see this? As with many decisions Jon makes, he just seems to blaze on through and regrets later.

22 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Yes, and love of whom? Duty to what? These things are just going to get more complicated and overlapping. It was relatively easy to choose killing Ramsay, it wasnt that hard of a test for him. 

I don’t think it’s like that...  “I will forgo duty X because of my love for person Y” sort of thing. If that makes any sense? I think it’s much broader and less specific than that. The whole thing, actually. In regards to the Free Folk, the Boltons, the black brothers who are more prejudiced, etc. The Night’s Watch has already failed, it’s been failing for centuries at this point. And Jon is, in part instinctively, putting it back on track. In doing so, he may be going against some generic “rules” of the organisation, but I would argue that these “rules” are far more recent than the NW itself. In other words, Jon is “fixing” the NW by breaking some rules traditions that I think aren’t the true core and purpose of the Watch. 

In regards to the discussion between Jon and Tormund happening off screen, I think a lot of that has to do w/ Martin not wanting to reveal certain things just yet. 

17 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

:agree:

14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t think it’s like that...  “I will forgo duty X because of my love for person Y” sort of thing. If that makes any sense? I think it’s much broader and less specific than that. The whole thing, actually. In regards to the Free Folk, the Boltons, the black brothers who are more prejudiced, etc. The Night’s Watch has already failed, it’s been failing for centuries at this point. And Jon is, in part instinctively, putting it back on track. In doing so, he may be going against some generic “rules” of the organisation, but I would argue that these “rules” are far more recent than the NW itself. In other words, Jon is “fixing” the NW by breaking some rules traditions that I think aren’t the true core and purpose of the Watch. 

In regards to the discussion between Jon and Tormund happening off screen, I think a lot of that has to do w/ Martin not wanting to reveal certain things just yet. 

:agree:

I agree.

Jon drove a coach and horses through the tradition of Nights Watch neutrality through A Dance with Dragons.  And he was right to do so,  Nights Watch neutrality is no longer fit for purpose.  

One can have a degree of sympathy with those who think he's leading the Nights Watch to disaster, but Bowen Marsh & Co, were wrong.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:22 AM, kissdbyfire said:

But you didn't mention family. They loom large in his story.  Personally, I dont care about the Watch reforms. I'm more interested in the sacrifices he will make for the Starks like Ned did. So far, he's gotten away with protecting the realm and protecting his family - those two align. Where's the future internal conflict?

And while Jon does have a good idea of what the Watch should be doing, he also doesnt' really have a "plan." His "reforms" aren't really "reforms" - it's just fighting stubborn people and being reactionary. You know he's a hot mess, right?

4 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Personally, I dont care about the Watch reforms. I'm more interested in the sacrifices he will make for the Starks like Ned did.

Your personal interest does not define the literary "conflicts" he has faced.

So far, he's gotten away with protecting the realm and protecting his family - those two align. Where's the future internal conflict?

How has he managed to protect his family? As far as he knows Bran and Rickon were dead while he was north of the Wall on his infiltration mission. Ned Stark died while he was teaching his fellow recruits how to hold a sword. Robb Stark died while he was aisling from the arrow wounds Ygritte gave him at CB. Arya's actually in Braavos and Sansa's in the manipulative hands of LF. All he managed to do was protect Alys Karstark from a murder-wedding plot by her great uncle and cousin and send Mance in search of fake Arya that Jon presumed to have escaped already.

And while Jon does have a good idea of what the Watch should be doing, he also doesnt' really have a "plan." His "reforms" aren't really "reforms" - it's just fighting stubborn people and being reactionary. You know he's a hot mess, right?

Can you clarify what you mean with "reactionary" exactly. The meaning can vary. But if you mean "he's just making stuff up to fight stubborn people"... euhm no. Jon does not make decisions with the intent to rattle Marsh's cage. He's thinking of the big picture - man the wall and castles with the men (and women) available and prevent the Others from getting an even larger army of wights. He makes his decisions based on a big-scope-goal, not because he wants Bowen Marsh to go red as a pomegranate.

4 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Your personal interest does not define the literary "conflicts" he has faced.

I like the part of the story where he is torn about helping his family/Winterfell - which happens often. Are you seriously saying thats not happening in the text?

The reason I like the family conflict is that I dont think the "true purpose of the Watch" stuff is where he is most conflicted. In fact he's uber confident about what the Watch should do, to the point of shutting down all argument and thinks his NW brothers are useless.

Can you clarify what you mean with "reactionary" exactly. The meaning can vary. But if you mean "he's just making stuff up to fight stubborn people"... euhm no. Jon does not make decisions with the intent to rattle Marsh's cage. He's thinking of the big picture - man the wall and castles with the men (and women) available and prevent the Others from getting an even larger army of wights. He makes his decisions based on a big-scope-goal, not because he wants Bowen Marsh to go red as a pomegranate

His plans lack strategy and finesse. He doesnt understand how to use charisma or the usefulness of friends. The two big scenes where he sends Mance and when he plans the Ramsay attack happen off screen. The first one he has regrets about, which suggest that he made it impulsively. The second one is also impulsive because he makes a big speech and doesnt see the danger of announcing his plans so publicly. I dont think eliminating Ramsay + settling the wildlings in the North were all part of one big master plan, he just realizes what the right thing is, as events are happening.

How has he managed to protect his family?

Thats the tragic irony. He tries really hard to do it, but its often unnecessary and gets tangled up in plots of his own making. Like Ned. 

I like the part of the story where he is torn about helping his family/Winterfell - which happens often. Are you seriously saying thats not happening in the text?

That wasn't my point. But you came with the notion of "three trials between heart and duty", pretty much ignoring there are more heart challenges presented than three, and then argue that the sole conflict you're interested in is Jon's conflict over his family. What interests you is up to you, but it is not the basis to determine which heart conflicts or challenges Jon experiences throughout the story, as in "it is not limited to the conflicts you are particularly interested in". That's what I'm saying.

to the point of shutting down all argument and thinks his NW brothers are useless.

He doesn't think his NW brothers are useless... he thinks Bowen Marsh and Yarwick are useless. And they are, especially Bowen. All they do is point out problems, but reject any solution to it. The sole solution Bowen sees is "seal the tunnels, huddle and hide in a room and wait out ragnarok". The last two go against the NW purpose. There is always and always will be a set of people who are and will be unreasonable and no amount of tricks will make them become reasonable for all sorts of reasons. At some point, a good leader accepts this, and alters the manner in which he proceeds with his plans, while circumventing these people's agreement. One such way is by calling a big meeting where these members realize they're in a minority, show that a large portion of the other group members think quite differently. It's quite a legitimate psychological strategy in a leader's bag of tricks. However, one must remain very aware that this minority may act out to perform a backstabbing coup, and take the necessary precautions to safeguard against it.

His plans lack strategy and finesse.

An opinion, not a fact. He manages to negotiate an unprecedented loan with the Iron Bank, after he pondered on the food issue for a while and having already thought previously of the Iron Bank being a possible solution. The IB shows up and he grabs the opportunity. He sent men to look for the free folk early on. Then he sends Val. He had the coming over of the free folk planned beforehand for a long while. He manages to have them hand over their precious few belongings and children as hostages, and still earn their respect and gratitude. Seems to me you're reading his actions with shutters, which shouldn't be that surprising, since you admitted not caring about this part of Jon's story or chapters.

He doesnt understand how to use charisma or the usefulness of friends.

He doesn't? So, Tycho Nestoris, Val, free folk voluntarily honoring him while handing over their children as hostages, the response of the majority of the NW men and free folk to his shield hall speech is because "he doesn't understand how to use charisma"? :lmao:He puts his friends to great use too: Val to fetch Tormund, his trusted men building out forces at various castles of the NW, Sam to Oldtown (he needs a maester). What should he have done? Put the brothers he didn't trust in charge of the castles, as he once tried with Slynt (and a good thing Slynt was too stupid to realize what obstructive position he would have gotten)? Let the Citadel decide and send a new maester to CB for him?

His mistake is to underestimate how far enemies within his own ranks may want to go, and to not have guards (human and wolf) around at crucial moments around NW. The adagio goes: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. He did that. He kept his enemies real close and watched them. But he relied too much on his own sword skill to defend himself if his enemies did make a move. 

The two big scenes where he sends Mance and when he plans the Ramsay attack happen off screen.

So what? By your own admission you're not interested in any of this, and when plans are made in his mind you apparently skipped reading that, so seems something you should be happy about, no? And it's a none argument. Discussions happening off screen are not evidence of impulsiveness. They mean they happened off screen, for various literary reasons.

The first one he has regrets about, which suggest that he made it impulsively.

One can have regrets about decisions and choices that were pre-planned. Regret is not evidence of impulsiveness. Impulsive people rarely "regret" their choices. Regret is only evidence of either getting the desired result but realizing it is not as satisfying as you believed it to be, or it is evidence of being able to see more potential outcomes than the one you desired or hoped for. In the end, "regret" is evidence that your mind is prone to learn from your mistakes, and the ability to admit you can make mistakes.

The second one is also impulsive because he makes a big speech and doesnt see the danger of announcing his plans so publicly. I dont think eliminating Ramsay + settling the wildlings in the North were all part of one big master plan, he just realizes what the right thing is, as events are happening.

A big speech is not evidence of big impulsiveness, but evidence of understanding the use of charisma. The majority's response was an uproar in support of Jon. The danger was the news of Stannis' death, which he could never stop from getting into Bowen's ears.

You seem to have this notion that a leader has this blank slate of 5 years to make some excel sheet with time schedules and then put it into motion purely on charisma alone. That's not how it works: you inherit the already existing problems on your plate to solve, search for solutions, make plans to create opportunities that can solve the issues as well as seize opportunities that present themselves ad hoc, as well as "change plans" to deal with incoming new issues, while you're going forward to alter the company's/country's/group culture and traditions to where it needs to be to actually accomplish long term goals.

3 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Thats the tragic irony. He tries really hard to do it, but its often unnecessary and gets tangled up in plots of his own making. Like Ned. 

The irony is that you claim that he "gets away with protecting his family because it aligns with his NW mission to protect the realm. I point out how Jon was never in any position to "protect his family" in particular. You're making gross claims that just completely miss out on the story.

15 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

But you didn't mention family. They loom large in his story.  Personally, I dont care about the Watch reforms. I'm more interested in the sacrifices he will make for the Starks like Ned did. So far, he's gotten away with protecting the realm and protecting his family - those two align. Where's the future internal conflict?

Jon's joining the Nightswatch in the 1st place was an enormous sacrifice for the entire North.  His sacrifice made more significant by taking vows after he understood the type of people (rapers, etc.) in play in the NW.  He was going to be pushed out by Cat any way.  That is part of the heartbreaking beauty of Jon's story.  He has nothing and isn't like to get anything.  He joins the NW then opts to go help his brother and turns back because of vows...to the NW.  Unlike Jamie, Jon hasn't got the luxury of picking and choosing which vows to keep.  

It's what? 2000 Wildlings at the Wall now?  Castles are being repaired and the NW is being populated by fierce brave people.  He's arranged for a loan from the IB in order to grow food.  He has a huge rescue mission planned.  Sounds like he has a firm plan for reform to me.   He planned to march on Winterfell to save his little sister from Ramsay Bolton and was stabbed for it.  He saved his cousin and possibly the Karstark house by arranging the marriage between Alys and Sigorn.   Everything Jon does in his capacity at the Wall is for his family by extension.   At this point in the tale, Jon is willing to forego his NW vows for the only family he thinks he has left.  

I want to add his turning Stannis' dream come true offer down as further proof of the sacrifices he is willing to make for House Stark, but even I think that one was more for the watch than the family.   

I know I'm rambling and apologize.   I haven't had a good Hell Yes moment for Jon in a long time and it feels good to list what I consider some of Jon's very best qualities and deeds.   

3 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

It's what? 2000 Wildlings at the Wall now?  Castles are being repaired and the NW is being populated by fierce brave people.  He's arranged for a loan from the IB in order to grow food.  He has a huge rescue mission planned.  Sounds like he has a firm plan for reform to me.   He planned to march on Winterfell to save his little sister from Ramsay Bolton and was stabbed for it.  He saved his cousin and possibly the Karstark house by arranging the marriage between Alys and Sigorn.  

Jon has good ideas. But plans for reform should also come with contingencies and this is why he's dead right now. If he could think maybe 2 steps further about how people will react, he could have anticipated that Ramsay might come attack him for his actions instead of being thrown off guard. He should also know that he will need to win support through other lords because the hate is coming for the Alys marriage - but he does not consider this. He also needs to wise up about prophecy (this is a mule that will kick him). He needs more people in his corner than just free folk. He thinks he can do it all (lone wolf syndrome) - and this is flawed. He's also too trusting of dragons and tales from Targaryens (Daeron the Young Dragon). Why does he have to be corrected on basic history by Benjen, Tycho, and Stannis?

I'm not bashing Jon here. What I'm saying is that his mistakes, weaknesses, and faults make him more interesting. Jon Snow, sacrificial Civil Rights Hero, fighting for the free folk, bringing Westeros together to fight zombies, educating people on the dangers of building walls, is probably the least interesting plotline I can imagine. The reason I like that his family is a potential weakness is because it makes him less than perfect. I actually want him to abandon the NW when (if?) he wakes up.

10 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I want to add his turning Stannis' dream come true offer down as further proof of the sacrifices he is willing to make for House Stark, but even I think that one was more for the watch than the family.   

Well said! One thing we don’t see totally eye to eye is the above quote... When Jon decides to turn down Stannis’s offer it’s not b/c of the Watch, but home and, by extension, family and his roots (pun intended):

Ygritte wanted me to be a wildling. Stannis wants me to be the Lord of Winterfell. But what do I want? The sun crept down the sky to dip behind the Wall where it curved through the western hills. Jon watched as that towering expanse of ice took on the reds and pinks of sunset. Would I sooner be hanged for a turncloak by Lord Janos, or forswear my vows, marry Val, and become the Lord of Winterfell? It seemed an easy choice when he thought of it in those terms . . . though if Ygritte had still been alive, it might have been even easier.”
[…]

“He wanted it, Jon knew then. He wanted it as much as he had ever wanted anything. I have always wanted it, he thought, guiltily. May the gods forgive me. It was a hunger inside him, sharp as a dragonglass blade. A hunger . . . he could feel it. It was food he needed, prey, a red deer that stank of fear or a great elk proud and defiant. He needed to kill and fill his belly with fresh meat and hot dark blood. His mouth began to water with the thought.
It was a long moment before he understood what was happening. When he did, he bolted to his feet. “Ghost?” He turned toward the wood, and there he came, padding silently out of the green dusk, the breath coming warm and white from his open jaws. “Ghost!” he shouted, and the direwolf broke into a run. He was leaner than he had been, but bigger as well, and the only sound he made was the soft crunch of dead leaves beneath his paws. When he reached Jon he leapt, and they wrestled amidst brown grass and long shadows as the stars came out above them. “Gods, wolf, where have you been?” Jon said when Ghost stopped worrying at his forearm. “I thought you’d died on me, like Robb and Ygritte and all the rest. I’ve had no sense of you, not since I climbed the Wall, not even in dreams.” The direwolf had no answer, but he licked Jon’s face with a tongue like a wet rasp, and his eyes caught the last light and shone like two great red suns.
Red eyes, Jon realized, but not like Melisandre’s. He had a weirwood’s eyes. Red eyes, red mouth, white fur. Blood and bone, like a heart tree. He belongs to the old gods, this one. And he alone of all the direwolves was white. Six pups they’d found in the late summer snows, him and Robb; five that were grey and black and brown, for the five Starks, and one white, as white as Snow.”

He had his answer then.”

13 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

The irony is that you claim that he "gets away with protecting his family because it aligns with his NW mission to protect the realm. I point out how Jon was never in any position to "protect his family" in particular. You're making gross claims that just completely miss out on the story.

As usual, hindsight is a brilliant judge.  A reader is in possession of more information than any one character.

Jon is making mistakes, obviously, but he's also doing a lot that is right, and all the time, operating with imperfect information.

A love triangle filled with jealousy and rage involving Jon, Arya, and Gendry would make for good reading material.  Arya gets pregnant and doesn't know who the father is.  Jon and Gendry fight over Arya.  Gendry wins.  Then Gendry has to forge LB by stabbing Arya. 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well said! One thing we don’t see totally eye to eye is the above quote... When Jon decides to turn down Stannis’s offer it’s not b/c of the Watch, but home and, by extension, family and his roots (pun intended):

Ygritte wanted me to be a wildling. Stannis wants me to be the Lord of Winterfell. But what do I want? The sun crept down the sky to dip behind the Wall where it curved through the western hills. Jon watched as that towering expanse of ice took on the reds and pinks of sunset. Would I sooner be hanged for a turncloak by Lord Janos, or forswear my vows, marry Val, and become the Lord of Winterfell? It seemed an easy choice when he thought of it in those terms . . . though if Ygritte had still been alive, it might have been even easier.”
[…]

“He wanted it, Jon knew then. He wanted it as much as he had ever wanted anything. I have always wanted it, he thought, guiltily. May the gods forgive me. It was a hunger inside him, sharp as a dragonglass blade. A hunger . . . he could feel it. It was food he needed, prey, a red deer that stank of fear or a great elk proud and defiant. He needed to kill and fill his belly with fresh meat and hot dark blood. His mouth began to water with the thought.
It was a long moment before he understood what was happening. When he did, he bolted to his feet. “Ghost?” He turned toward the wood, and there he came, padding silently out of the green dusk, the breath coming warm and white from his open jaws. “Ghost!” he shouted, and the direwolf broke into a run. He was leaner than he had been, but bigger as well, and the only sound he made was the soft crunch of dead leaves beneath his paws. When he reached Jon he leapt, and they wrestled amidst brown grass and long shadows as the stars came out above them. “Gods, wolf, where have you been?” Jon said when Ghost stopped worrying at his forearm. “I thought you’d died on me, like Robb and Ygritte and all the rest. I’ve had no sense of you, not since I climbed the Wall, not even in dreams.” The direwolf had no answer, but he licked Jon’s face with a tongue like a wet rasp, and his eyes caught the last light and shone like two great red suns.
Red eyes, Jon realized, but not like Melisandre’s. He had a weirwood’s eyes. Red eyes, red mouth, white fur. Blood and bone, like a heart tree. He belongs to the old gods, this one. And he alone of all the direwolves was white. Six pups they’d found in the late summer snows, him and Robb; five that were grey and black and brown, for the five Starks, and one white, as white as Snow.”

He had his answer then.”

Thanks.  Jon's sure a complicated guy.

2 hours ago, Son of Man said:

A love triangle filled with jealousy and rage involving Jon, Arya, and Gendry would make for good reading material.  Arya gets pregnant and doesn't know who the father is.  Jon and Gendry fight over Arya.  Gendry wins.  Then Gendry has to forge LB by stabbing Arya. 

How much do you want to bet there's a fanfic out there of this?

Archived