Fantasy Football 2020

Whiskeyjack

I'd still like to get Dynasty and Keeper figured out (I'm not in Keeper, but they're similar). Given how my home conference, the Big10 just canceled their season and the Pac-12 is right behind them, I fear a lot of games will be cancelled. That will screw those leagues more than A-C.

Also, if people are good with it, is there a way to have a coronavirus injury spot? I have no idea how they can prevent some serious outbreaks. Basketball in a bubble is one thing, but traveling sports will be a lot harder to regulate. The Cardinals, for example, have only played 5 games while my Twins are 10-6. I just fear this is all going to be a mess in the end, but here's hoping for the best.

(It still won't be as big of a mess as opening the schools up, though. Idiots)

I don't run dynasty and keeper, but I'm sure groz will check in at some point.

For Westeros A-C, I'm definitely up for IR spots this season.  I know in baseball, Yahoo has added a COVID-19 designation, and I think those players can be placed on the IL.  Would probably work the same in football. 

Question is, how many spots should we have?  Looks like I can add a maximum of 10.  Though there's also a note about maximum roster sizes being 30 - I don't know if IR spots count against that, but if they do, and we have 22 player rosters, then that could limit us to 8 IR spots. 

Either way, will have to decide if we want to go for the max allowed, or if we'd prefer something like 5.  If anybody has opinions, let me know.

4 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

Question is, how many spots should we have?  Looks like I can add a maximum of 10.  Though there's also a note about maximum roster sizes being 30 - I don't know if IR spots count against that, but if they do, and we have 22 player rosters, then that could limit us to 8 IR spots. 

Are you able to take the IR slots and restrict what kind of injuries qualify for them? And can you change the rules during the season? I'd be down for 1 or 2 traditional IR slots and 2-3 COVID ones to start, and if it's a bigger problem then we expected we could expand it. But ugh, if we have to do that, we're gonna have guys starting on our teams who probably weren't even on a starting day roster.

Back for A, back for Dynasty. With (probably) two off-board leagues, I can maybe do a 3rd if you need people, but not super desirous of it. Very stoked for these leagues, though.

I have no preference one way or the other. I can see the benefit this year, but I don’t think they should be very large since the rosters are already large to begin with. Trying to track COVID related IR would be cumbersome for the commish IMO.

Going to try to finalize leagues and set draft dates in the next couple of days.

One thing I've been talking about with Jaime.

Given the unique problems presented by this season, and the 2 QB setup of our leagues, we were both thinking that we might need to modify the rules a bit.  We don't want to end up in a situation where a QB comes down with Covid and misses 2-4 games, and his owner is unable to find a replacement QB.  So we were thinking of changing to the rule that if you draft a starting QB for a team, then you have the right to all of the QBs on that same team.  If your starter goes down with illness or injury, then you are the only person who can pickup the replacement. 

The commish will not pickup the replacement QB for you.  Also won't set your lineup, even if your starting QB is a late scratch.  All of that is on each team owner.  The only change is that you're the only one who can pickup the backups and replacement QBs for an NFL team when you own the starter. 

A few other notes.
1) I wouldn't want this to create an opportunity for people to corner the QB market.  This is supposed to help people, not hurt them.  So might have to put a cap on the number of QB "teams" anybody can own at any one time.  Probably a limit of 3 - meaning everyone will be able to get 3, and at least 2 others will always be available to pickup.

2) For the purposes of the draft, you'd have to draft an NFL team's starter to get a claim on that team's QB situation.  As of right now, I think every team's starting QB is pretty much set (unless maybe Alex Smith takes the job from Haskins in Washington).  Reason we need clarity here is because we can't have somebody drafting a $1 backup to get a claim on a team's QB situation and circumvent spending money on a top QB.

3) Once the season starts, if you want to maintain a claim on a team's QB situation, you would have to always have at least 1 QB from that team on your roster.  You can have more than one.  You can drop one for another.  Whatever combination you want, so long as you keep one QB from that team on your roster.  If you drop all QBs from a team, then you lose your claim and that team becomes fair game for everyone else.

4) This is not a conventional Team QB spot, where you'd get every point scored by a team from the QB position each week.  You only get the points from the guy you start.  So if your QB gets hurt midway through the game, you don't get his points + the points from his replacement. 

People might ask why we'd want to use this rule now, when injuries have always been an issue in the past.  Answer is that I think Covid presents problems that go beyond what we'd see with normal injuries, and we really have no clue how big of an issue its going to end up being in the NFL.  Everything could work out fine, or it could spread like wildfire and cause a ton of problems.  And this type of rule isn't really an option at RB or WR or TE, but it could work out at QB.

If anybody has thoughts or feedback, let us know.  Trying to not do anything that would be too complicated, and if the majority feels this is too difficult to make work, then we don't have to do it.  But if people are in favor of it, then we could try to make it work this year.

@Jaime L @Tywin et al. @Jace, Basilissa @Prince of the North @Bronn Stone @Lord Dracarys @fuentez1138 @BLU-RAY @JJ Lannister @Dunknegg @Jaxom 1974 @Mudguard @aceluby @mcbigski @boiled leather @RaceBannon42

Are you suggesting first crack at the back up, or that its automatic to get the back up, you know, on the off chance there is a different QB (however unlikely) out there?

What happens when the back up has already been picked up?  Or are we only allowing starting QBs during the draft?  The situation in Chicago comes to mind.  What if I'd rather pick up and bank Nick Foles for his inevitable assumption of the starting QB job, but one of the others is stuck with Trubitsky and Covid fells him before he's actually pulled as the starter?

Think all that makes senses...

What about the option of two undrafted spots that after the draft can be filled by any undrafted backup QB on your team?  I can think of 3 backups that people might want, but that way you don't have to have special rules on the draft or limit your QB selections because you can't possibly have 2 QBs with the same bye week?

Many considerations to consider including those already mentioned. I’d be ok with it; however, I also think the owner needs to share some burden of keeping up. Perhaps the backup QB’s for a team whose starter is designated COVID I/A can’t be picked up by anyone for “x” number of days after said starter is placed on the COVID list. After that, they are fair game to be picked up.  Denoting the actual day they were placed on the list would be determined by the transaction date he was placed on the list. Or, to make it easier, they are off limits until after that team’s next game and then the backups can be picked up via waivers.

57 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Are you suggesting first crack at the back up, or that its automatic to get the back up, you know, on the off chance there is a different QB (however unlikely) out there?

What happens when the back up has already been picked up?  Or are we only allowing starting QBs during the draft?  The situation in Chicago comes to mind.  What if I'd rather pick up and bank Nick Foles for his inevitable assumption of the starting QB job, but one of the others is stuck with Trubitsky and Covid fells him before he's actually pulled as the starter?

Think all that makes senses...

I'm saying that if you have a QB from a team, then you are the only one allowed to pickup other QBs from that team. 

So to use an easier example, if you draft Lamar Jackson and anything happens to him (Covid, injury, whatever), you are the only one allowed to pickup RG3. 

If there are tough situations where the starting to QB is difficult to determine heading into the draft (like Foles vs Trubisky), then we can list out those situations beforehand and say that once one player is drafted out of the pair, then the other one is not allowed to be drafted or picked up.  Getting one locks down that team's QB situation.

40 minutes ago, aceluby said:

What about the option of two undrafted spots that after the draft can be filled by any undrafted backup QB on your team?  I can think of 3 backups that people might want, but that way you don't have to have special rules on the draft or limit your QB selections because you can't possibly have 2 QBs with the same bye week?

I hear you on this, but I also don't want to complicate things too much. 

I guess all of the options are complicated, and they all have their pros and cons.  Tough situation to navigate.

That said, my initial feeling has been along the lines of - if you want somebody like Tua (for example), then just prioritize getting Fitzpatrick.  Not ideal, but you're basically lumping them together and getting the rights to both, rather than splitting them apart.  Same with any other similar QB situations.

10 minutes ago, Dunknegg said:

Many considerations to consider including those already mentioned. I’d be ok with it; however, I also think the owner needs to share some burden of keeping up. Perhaps the backup QB’s for a team whose starter is designated COVID I/A can’t be picked up by anyone for “x” number of days after said starter is placed on the COVID list. After that, they are fair game to be picked up.  Denoting the actual day they were placed on the list would be determined by the transaction date he was placed on the list. Or, to make it easier, they are off limits until after that team’s next game and then the backups can be picked up via waivers.

I think a priority goal is to keep things simple.  In this case, the simplest option is if you own a QB then you have the rights to his backup. 

If we say that somebody can pickup an unclaimed backup who has been sitting out there for a week, then:

1) It forces me to keep track of when people were added to the Covid list.  Which is something I definitely don't want to do.

2) It creates confusion in a situation where a different team adds the backup.  Using a previous example, now we have L-Jax on one fantasy team and RG3 on another, and it becomes more complicated to know who gets a claim on the 3rd QB if necessary.  Also makes it harder for the L-Jax owner to find a replacement for him if he realizes he needs one.

Archived