Fantasy Football 2020

Whiskeyjack

Isn't the simplest option to not have any special rules?  Managers will have to manage their teams and deal with injuries like they always have, just like real managers will have to deal with their teams as stuff pops up.  It's gonna be a wild ride, might as well buckle up and see what the season brings.

I agree with simplicity as the priority - I don't think the setup WJ proposed is totally ideal (I enjoy, strategically, trying to draft 4-5 QBs sometimes in these 2 QB leagues) but I can't think of a better system that is equally simple and builds in some COVID protection off the top of my head; if I think of one I will shout it out, though.

ETA @ Ace - the issue is that QB is uniquely vulnerable re: COVID b/c it creates a situation where it's pretty easy to get a 0 at the highest-leverage spot on the roster (for our leagues, at least). There's always another WR or RB who will get *some* play - only 32 QBs play each week. But I'm not totally out on the "fuck it, let's ride the variance train" stance.

I’m not a fan of limiting the number of QBs you can draft with the understanding that you can’t draft or sign backups. I also think you shouldn’t have automatic rights to the backup if a QB goes down. I think there should be a 24 or 48 hour window in which only you can take the backup, but after that it’s fair game with the exception that once the starter is back, the backup has to be released.

I’m also think including injuries is a bad idea. The special rule should just apply to COVID. Specking of which, how many COVID slots will there be? What if you have multiple starters out with it at the same time and your roster is full?

I'm fine with drafting team QBs. This is going to be a crazy year, and I don't like it, but it makes sense. 

The only other option I see is to add 2 or 3 roster spots so teams can carry QB backups on their roster. In that situation it's on the owner to make sure they draft trubisky if they draft foles. Or Tua if the draft fitz. This might be the better way to go as it holds the owner responsible.  There can be no bitching if you chose not to draft the backup or didn't manage your money well enough during the draft. 

I'm Ok with the proposed rule change from Whiskeyjack.  Some of the other ideas require too much work to implement and keep track of.

If there isn't enough support for the proposed rule change, I'd be OK with defaulting back to the standard rules, and crossing our fingers. 

It's probably going to be a crazy season, with a reasonable chance that some games will be postponed because teams won't be able to field a team.  Not sure how they would deal with a large outbreak in one team, since it's likely that infected players will be out for at least 4 weeks.  Rescheduling one game might be doable, but rescheduling 4 games seems unworkable.  With so much contact in the game, I think the only way they make it through the season is if the NFL implements a quarantine bubble like the NBA.  Can't make up games with double headers like they do in baseball.

8 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

I'm Ok with the proposed rule change from Whiskeyjack.  Some of the other ideas require too much work to implement and keep track of.

If there isn't enough support for the proposed rule change, I'd be OK with defaulting back to the standard rules, and crossing our fingers. 

It's probably going to be a crazy season, with a reasonable chance that some games will be postponed because teams won't be able to field a team.  Not sure how they would deal with a large outbreak in one team, since it's likely that infected players will be out for at least 4 weeks.  Rescheduling one game might be doable, but rescheduling 4 games seems unworkable.  With so much contact in the game, I think the only way they make it through the season is if the NFL implements a quarantine bubble like the NBA.  Can't make up games with double headers like they do in baseball.

Woof, how do you even control for that? Say one of us had all our guys play and have a 30 point lead over our opponent, but they still have a QB who needs to make up a game. Do we not award the win? What if the game is made up once the playoffs have already started, and the difference in that game is what determines who does and doesn't make the playoffs? 

Also, you probably can't do a bubble for football. You'd need so much more lodging, and the games would have to be played somewhere which has a ton of practice fields like we did in HS training camp scrimmages. You can't keep playing games on the same field (or fields, if there are just a few of them, you need a lot of fields to play on in a small space).

And regarding experts, @Jaime L, perhaps relegation should be suspended for this season if there are issues. It would seem unfair to get knocked out of it because the pandemic fucked everything else (I'm not in experts). Maybe we just have to accept that given the likelihood of problems arising, this year is more for fun and a bit of a distraction rather than how things traditionally play out. 

I honestly do not believe they can have a season this year.  Football is a game which by its very nature involves trying to knock the spit out of each other.

That having been said, I'm fine with the idea proposed by WJ.  Like BluRay, I'm fond of the Army of Squibs QB strategy.  But as WJ rightly notes, this is going to be an unusual season, if it happens at all.

My own proposed solution would be slightly different and I'm not sure it's better.

The Slut QBs.

Each Fantasy Team (FT) may carry only 2 or 3 QB.   No FT can pick up a QB who is on the same NFL team (NFLT) as another owned QB.

The QB for any NFLT whose QB is not owned in the league becomes a "Slut QB" (because she is being pissy in this thread, all Slut QB are all named Jace).  Any FT (up to every FT) can play a Slut QB, by making a roster slot available and taking a off-the-wall backup QB (preferably from the Jace's team, but not required - if there is any confusion, use the thread to identify which Jace you are playing that week - you don't get a team slut QB - you gotta pick one of them - if you don't pick, you get whichever NFLT's best QB plays but does worse).  In the very unlikely event the placeholder QB you pick scores points, those points shall be edited out by the Commissioner when he/she subs in the points scored by the Jace. 

You can pick up a Jace, but only before the first game of the week and only if that does not put you over 3QB.  You cannot pick up a Jace and drop the necessary QB if the QB you drop has a bye that week or a game threatened with cancellation.  It can never be the case that every Jace available has the same bye week, unless that week has passed.  You can't leave all remaining Jaces with the same bye.  The identity of the available sluts only becomes final when the first game kicks off.  If the slut looked to be LAC on Wednesday, that doesn't mean that someone can't pick up whoever is pretending to be an NFL QB for them that week and make a different eligible slut available.

In the draft, you cannot pick a 4th QB and need not pick any backups.  The Commissioner will enforce the drop of a 4th QB pickup AFTER the draft is complete.  Special 29th QB rule:  If you pick the 29th QB and the two Jaces have the same bye, you lose yours and must take one of the sluts.  In the very unlikely case the last few QB ALL have the same bye week, you go back until you get two Jaces with different byes.

Probably a waste of time to even mention it.  But it was an excuse to call out Jace for being a pissbucket.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And regarding experts, @Jaime L, perhaps relegation should be suspended for this season if there are issues. It would seem unfair to get knocked out of it because the pandemic fucked everything else (I'm not in experts). Maybe we just have to accept that given the likelihood of problems arising, this year is more for fun and a bit of a distraction rather than how things traditionally play out. 

Agree 100% here.  No involuntary relegations in 2020.

44 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

I honestly do not believe they can have a season this year.  Football is a game which by its very nature involves trying to knock the spit out of each other.

That having been said, I'm fine with the idea proposed by WJ.  Like BluRay, I'm fond of the Army of Squibs QB strategy.  But as WJ rightly notes, this is going to be an unusual season, if it happens at all.

My own proposed solution would be slightly different and I'm not sure it's better.

The Slut QBs.

Each Fantasy Team (FT) may carry only 2 or 3 QB.   No FT can pick up a QB who is on the same NFL team (NFLT) as another owned QB.

The QB for any NFLT whose QB is not owned in the league becomes a "Slut QB" (because she is being pissy in this thread, all Slut QB are all named Jace).  Any FT (up to every FT) can play a Slut QB, by making a roster slot available and taking a off-the-wall backup QB (preferably from the Jace's team, but not required - if there is any confusion, use the thread to identify which Jace you are playing that week - you don't get a team slut QB - you gotta pick one of them - if you don't pick, you get whichever NFLT's best QB plays but does worse).  In the very unlikely event the placeholder QB you pick scores points, those points shall be edited out by the Commissioner when he/she subs in the points scored by the Jace. 

You can pick up a Jace, but only before the first game of the week and only if that does not put you over 3QB.  You cannot pick up a Jace and drop the necessary QB if the QB you drop has a bye that week or a game threatened with cancellation.  It can never be the case that every Jace available has the same bye week, unless that week has passed.  You can't leave all remaining Jaces with the same bye.  The identity of the available sluts only becomes final when the first game kicks off.  If the slut looked to be LAC on Wednesday, that doesn't mean that someone can't pick up whoever is pretending to be an NFL QB for them that week and make a different eligible slut available.

In the draft, you cannot pick a 4th QB and need not pick any backups.  The Commissioner will enforce the drop of a 4th QB pickup AFTER the draft is complete.  Special 29th QB rule:  If you pick the 29th QB and the two Jaces have the same bye, you lose yours and must take one of the sluts.  In the very unlikely case the last few QB ALL have the same bye week, you go back until you get two Jaces with different byes.

Probably a waste of time to even mention it.  But it was an excuse to call out Jace for being a pissbucket.

I got a little lost in the verbiage. Can you say that again?

I don't mind getting creative. What I will not endure is someone getting 20 points off of one play because they started Carson Wentz who threw a sixty yard screen to Jalen Hurts. Now if you started Wentz as your QB1 and Hurts as your Qb2, I can live with that because you're a fool who got lucky. But there's too many gimmick QBs floating around for team QB scoring. That's my position.

22 hours ago, Whiskeyjack said:

I don't want to defend this too much, because I'm kind of middle of the road on whether or not its a good idea.  Just trying to make the best of a bad situation.  Hopefully Jaime can chime in too.

Agree we probably need to do something. It can be hard to find 2 starting QBs in our leagues in the best of times, and these are far from the best of times. I think what WJ is proposing is a reasonable solution. And even with it it still doesn't guarantee every team will be able to field two starting QBs each week. Could easily be a situation where 1 of your 3 QBs is on bye and your other QB team is quarantined like the STL Cardinals due to a team-wide covid outbreak.

So I'd probably be in favor of the "you're entitled to all the QBs on the team of the starter you draft" rule WJ is proposing and limiting each team to 3 QBs AND turning one of the QB spots to a superflex just to ensure in the worst case scenario, that team still has a chance to earn some points from that position. 

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ok, I see two people not in Experts in favor of this. If the board FF community is in alignment on this, we'll go ahead and suspend relegation. Takes some of the excitement out of Experts but would be pretty crappy to get Jaxomed because Joe Burrow went clubbing. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Ok, I see two people not in Experts in favor of this. If the board FF community is in alignment on this, we'll go ahead and suspend relegation. Takes some of the excitement out of Experts but would be pretty crappy to get Jaxomed because Joe Burrow went clubbing. 

Only suspend it if there are serious irregularities. I'm more concerned about games getting cancelled than individual dudes getting it.

To keep this moving, I'm going to put it up for a vote.  Appreciate all of the ideas people have suggested, but going to stick with the 3 options that I think are most reasonable and easiest to implement. 

Option 1
If you own a QB, then you get the rights to all of the QBs on his team.  Each owner has a cap of 3 "QB team situations" at all times.  Owners will be responsible for adding, dropping, and starting QBs, and you only get the points for the QBs who are in your lineup.  Basically no commish involvement other than making sure everyone sticks to the rules and nobody adds a QB who they don't have the rights to add.  All of the more detailed rules are here - QB Option 1.

Option 2
Turn the 2nd QB spot into a Superflex.  Would allow people to start a QB, RB, WR, or TE.  The goal would be to provide extra flexibility, in a situation where somebody is desperate and can't find a 2nd QB for the week, since there's an increased risk of that this year.  I would still highly recommend everyone try to fill that Superflex spot with a QB, because even mid-tier and bad QBs tend to score more than the other positions, especially in our scoring system (non-PPR).  But this would give people more safety net options. 

In comparison to Option 1, one upside is that it doesn't require monitoring of teams to make sure people don't claim QBs they aren't allowed to add and to make sure people stay at or below the QB cap.  But one downside is that roster requirements of our leagues and especially the 2 QB format is part of the unique challenge, and it has led to some of the most fun and competitive leagues I've seen - would suck to mess with that, even a little.

Option 3
Do nothing, ride it out, and see what happens.  Less flexibility and insurance, but we're all in the same situation heading into the season.  And there's always the option to trade if necessary.

Everyone - please rank these three options 1-3, which 1st being the option you most favor.  Going to ping everyone again, to hopefully get as many votes as possible.

@Jaime L @Tywin et al. @Jace, Basilissa @Prince of the North @Bronn Stone @Lord Dracarys @fuentez1138 @BLU-RAY @JJ Lannister @Dunknegg @Jaxom 1974 @Mudguard @aceluby @mcbigski @boiled leather @RaceBannon42

3-1-2, but like I said, this year should be more of a fun distraction from the country crumbling than anything else, so I won't protest the results (I really do dislike the capping of QBs though. That's part of the strategy, pandemic or no pandemic, just make sure no one can sign back ups from teams that are claimed).

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I really do dislike the capping of QBs though. That's part of the strategy, pandemic or no pandemic, just make sure no one can sign back ups from teams that are claimed

Trust me.  You aren't thinking about the market ramifications of the rule without the cap, which would make QBs an even more valuable commodity.

But I know at least one person who would think about it and possibly dedicate their draft toward making use of it, and it could cause a lot of unforeseen issues for other people who don't realize whats happening until its too late (pretty hard to recover after you've already spent your auction dollars elsewhere).

(his name rhymes with Gone, as in all of the QBs will be gone and you'll be forced to trade him your RB1 for Dwayne Haskins just so you can survive for a few weeks)
(he did it with defenses in experts one year!)
(this is meant as a compliment)

Archived