Is there Anything GRRM Could Write Which Make the New Book a DNF?

On 8/10/2020 at 8:51 PM, Seams said:

Maybe product placements would cause me to put down the book:

Arriving dusty and tired at the inn at the crossroads, Tyrion sat down to the meal set before him. "I'm sick of wine," he said in a loud voice. "Bring me a flagon of Mountain Dew!"

Like many young women of her circle, Sansa was delighted by the prospect of new clothes. "You may tell the dressmaker I will not need her for a fitting this afternoon," she told her handmaid. "Me and 'Randa are going to The Gap and Foot Locker to see what's new for fall."

"Highborn ladies throughout Planetos had taken an interest in a new fashion, the use of a wonderful piece of clothing called brassiere. Westerosi ladies had named it 'Wonder of Braavos' after it's place of origin, Braavos, or for short ' WonderBra'.

23 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

I'm on Dany's team.  Take her and her dragons away and I stop reading.  I'm not interested in the Starks and their Lannister enemies. 

Dany without dragons would be interesting though... and I find Dany to be a humorous character. She’d have to solve shit without dragons, her one and only weapon!

I feel I am going to have to read a lot about the iron born just to have them run their course and cease to be players and I will think as I thought when we first had to see a lot of them "not another culture! why do I have to read all this stuff about imaginary viking bullshit".

21 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

True, but imagine waiting an eternity for the books and then your favorite character dies horribly! Haha

My second (third?) favorite character is Ramsay, so your imagination will be my reality. Ive come to grips with it by now. My favorite character though, Lord Imp, is also probably gonna die horribly.

As a matter of fact, if they dont die horribly ill be pretty pissed

On 8/10/2020 at 1:51 PM, Seams said:

Maybe product placements would cause me to put down the book:

Arriving dusty and tired at the inn at the crossroads, Tyrion sat down to the meal set before him. "I'm sick of wine," he said in a loud voice. "Bring me a flagon of Mountain Dew!"

Lmaoo, Tyrion does the dew? Im filling my fridge now. Even if it is, hands down, the worst soda

On 8/13/2020 at 2:23 AM, Castellan said:

I feel I am going to have to read a lot about the iron born just to have them run their course and cease to be players and I will think as I thought when we first had to see a lot of them "not another culture! why do I have to read all this stuff about imaginary viking bullshit".

This, so much.

I am braced for more Ironborn, because they have obvious parallels with Others - all that resurrections and thralls and stuff. And I'd be happy to see the Others, of course.

What would kill it for me would be yet another civilisation, like Asshai or somewhere, with a whole new set of characters and plotlines. I have not the strength for it :blink:.

11 hours ago, Springwatch said:

This, so much.

I am braced for more Ironborn, because they have obvious parallels with Others - all that resurrections and thralls and stuff. And I'd be happy to see the Others, of course.

What would kill it for me would be yet another civilisation, like Asshai or somewhere, with a whole new set of characters and plotlines. I have not the strength for it :blink:.

Yes indeed I am happy for Asshai if seen at all to just be sinister glimpses, and Yi Ti, Sothoros and other places to remain token inclusions representing things pretty much beyond the ken of Westerosi. 

We have a long winter and a plague and an army of the undead already in motion, as well as battle in Essos, surely that's enough? I think everyone will keep reading to find out why happens to their favourite characters, he has enough to do resolving all that without bring in new stuff, please god..

On 8/9/2020 at 4:05 AM, Rondo said:

Death of the dragons.  Death of my favorite characters.  Those two things would stop me from reading.  I would lose interest.

Uh...  you may be setting yourself up here.  Every dragon fight in the prequel books results in dragons dying.  It's pretty clear that Dany will lose control of at least one of the dragons...  This logically leads to...

On 8/11/2020 at 8:23 AM, Aebram said:

Seriously? After 5000 pages, a dozen rereads, three companion books, and 12 maps, it's hard to imagine anything that would make me stop.

Maybe if he pulls a Tolkien, and puts something early in the next book that telegraphs the ending ...

And even then. I mean, it didn't stop you finishing LoTR, did it?

Also, I think he might already have put something in that telegraphs the ending. But we won't know until we read the end.

I do think this book will be the hardest read yet (ie.harder than AFfC). I have already resigned myself to important plot points spoiled by the show, Arianne and Hotah chapters, Meera's rape and Tyrion's death. But, to paraphrase Stephen Dillane, it can't be worse than not finishing.

4 hours ago, Walda said:

And even then. I mean, it didn't stop you finishing LoTR, did it?

Also, I think he might already have put something in that telegraphs the ending. But we won't know until we read the end.

I do think this book will be the hardest read yet (ie.harder than AFfC). I have already resigned myself to important plot points spoiled by the show, Arianne and Hotah chapters, Meera's rape and Tyrion's death. But, to paraphrase Stephen Dillane, it can't be worse than not finishing.

LOL, Yes, I did finish LotR.  But I was a teenager at the time; my tastes are more refined now. 

Seriously, almost every story telegraphs its ending to some extent.  There's a main character or hero, and you can expect him (or her) to triumph in the end.  ASOIAF is different because it has lots of major characters, and George has already killed off some of the good guys.

To paraphrase Yoda: telegraph, or telegraph not; there is no might-have.  Might-have-telegraphed is the same as didn't-telegraph, because there's still uncertainty.  If you've been on this forum for more than 5 minutes, you know that there are lots of theories about how the story will end. Many of them are supported by some evidence, but there's no clear concensus about any of them.

I don't think the HBO show was a spoiler for anything. The screenwriters made up their own ending (and a lot of the middle). We shouldn't assume that the books will follow any of  what we saw there.  

I'll agree with you that TWOW will probably not be a fun read. The middle story of any trilogy is usually the least interesting to me. But unlike some fans, I found ADWD to be the best book so far. It seemed to have a faster pace than the others, as if the stage was finally set, and it was time for the real action to begin. Also, I enjoyed reading about characters going to places like Volantis that we'd only heard about indirectly in the earlier books

Wait a minute... for a couple of minutes. 

This whole thread is based on the optimistic assumption that Georgie is gonna release TWoW at all. Don't start about ADOS. And that is growing more unlikely as time drags on. 

If GRRM dies without ending the series, he will be the most wanted man in heaven on hell, if it exists. 

Sam defeats the Others with his booksmarts and the world comes to realise the worth of paunchy bookish dudes. He authors several acclaimed books that take a long time to write because women with big brown nipples and heart shaped faces keep trying to distract him. No one ever complains about the wait.

I'm following this series for the fantasy but not that kind of fantasy.

I don't think anything in the range of possibilities would push me to stop reading. Even if something I don't like happens, like Jon staying dead, I would continue to read. To see how GRRM would fix the mess.

By the end, the only thing I would really don't like would be the world remaining the shitload it is, now and since the Andals invasions at least. And don't tell me Dany's superpower kingdom is the improvement, the solution for peace.

Archived