Myst Documentary

IlyaP

Figure this might be of some interest to some folk here. There's a kickstarter campaign up to help documentary filmmaker Philip Shane fund an expansive documentary on the Myst games. (It's currently 56K away from its funding goals.)

Wow, very cool! Myst was the first game that I ever really dove into (the way so many of us did). Sure I played a ton of Zelda and Madden, but boy oh boy was it a blast to use up a whole half a notebook with my scribbles. I got it on Christmas and hardly left the computer room until school was back in session. Was in college when Riven came out, and my roommate and I played the crap out of that as well - we'd literally compare notes on our theories and puzzle solutions. Heck, I even read a few of those pretty bad books.

15 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Wow, very cool! Myst was the first game that I ever really dove into (the way so many of us did). Sure I played a ton of Zelda and Madden, but boy oh boy was it a blast to use up a whole half a notebook with my scribbles. I got it on Christmas and hardly left the computer room until school was back in session. Was in college when Riven came out, and my roommate and I played the crap out of that as well - we'd literally compare notes on our theories and puzzle solutions. Heck, I even read a few of those pretty bad books.

So many stories that I've come across are similar to this. So many. 

Just wait till Cyan finish Starry Expanse - then you'll be able to revisit Riven in proper 3D! (It started out as a fan-made game and amalgamated with Cyan late last year, just before Covid hit, but it's still being worked on.)

Fantastic, man! Riven I felt like was a masterpiece in its own right. I think I'll have to go experience the two again now that you've got me thinking about them. It's gotta have been a decade. I'll be just fuzzy enough that the hardest puzzles are still completely maddening, but I'll at least know that the much smarter 18 year old Me did actually finish and even master them.

Archived