Rothfuss XVII: a performance art finish?

Ser Scot A Ellison

What's with fantasy novelists living in Wisconsin? Gaiman, Rothfuss and there's another one I forget. It's nice in the summer but boy the winters are brutal...

Kind of weird that Wisconsin and New Mexico are the leading centers for SFF author communities in the US.  Although I suppose Sanderson puts Utah at number 1 by himself. 

31 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

What's with fantasy novelists living in Wisconsin? Gaiman, Rothfuss and there's another one I forget. It's nice in the summer but boy the winters are brutal...

Kind of weird that Wisconsin and New Mexico are the leading centers for SFF author communities in the US.  Although I suppose Sanderson puts Utah at number 1 by himself. 

Sanderson’s only advantage is productivity.  It’s not great but there is lots of it.  Sort of like school cafeterias.

35 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Gaiman lived in Wisconsin because that was the home of his ex-wife. If Wikipedia is correct, he does not live there any more and seems to have relocated to the UK.

38 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Gaiman lived in Wisconsin because that was the home of his ex-wife. If Wikipedia is correct, he does not live there any more and seems to have relocated to the UK.

He semi-lives in the Boston area as well. 

56 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sanderson’s only advantage is productivity.  It’s not great but there is lots of it.  Sort of like school cafeterias.

There is more to Sanderson than just productivity.  There is an old fashioned romanticism about kingship and duty.  There is ambition and scope writing stories of a scale nobody is really telling anymore.  There are rigorously logical magic systems (and many of them).  There is innovation in including endpapers, artwork, symbols, poems and other artistic devices in the Way of Kings series. 

You may find his prose pedestrian or his characters two-dimensional, fair enough.  But there's a LOT to learn from him if you write or read fantasy IMHO.  If you could clone him, cut off the clone's writing hand and transplant it onto PR our problem would be solved. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

[nerd] Actually Gaimen's ex-wife was from the Twin Cities, when Gaimen separated from her he went to Wisconsin, that might have just be coincidence of timing though and unrelated.  And she might have family there too. [/nerd] 

Scott Lynch used to live in Wisconsin as well. He has since moved to the Massachusetts when he married Elizabeth Bear. Gaiman moved to Boston when he got in a relationship with musician/performance artists Amanda Palmer. They moved to Australia and then New Zealand. He split with Palmer this year and last I heard moved to the UK, where he hasn't lived for a long time. He had a monstrous reference library built up during his time in Wisconsin. I wonder what happened to it. 

12 minutes ago, Jerol said:

Scott Lynch used to live in Wisconsin as well. He has since moved to the Massachusetts when he married Elizabeth Bear. Gaiman moved to Boston when he got in a relationship with musician/performance artists Amanda Palmer. They moved to Australia and then New Zealand. He split with Palmer this year and last I heard moved to the UK, where he hasn't lived for a long time. He had a monstrous reference library built up during his time in Wisconsin. I wonder what happened to it. 

He has a property on the Isle of Skye in Scotland. I think he's had it for quite a while, it just wasn't as in regular use.

I believe Gaiman has multiple properties in the US and UK, and just uses whichever one is most convenient for whatever project he's working on at the moment. It's a bit of an unusual way of thinking for those of us who can only (or barely) afford to have one property. My friend who used to work in Tower Records in London noted that when Elton John came in, he'd pick whatever CDs or DVDs or whatever he wanted, and had a standing arrangement with the store to have 5 copies sent by mail, one to each of his five different houses in several different countries.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What does that make Rothfuss? Some sort of government works project maybe? Over promising, behind schedule, and eventually cancelled?

On 8/28/2020 at 10:47 AM, Guy Kilmore said:

[nerd] Actually Gaimen's ex-wife was from the Twin Cities, when Gaimen separated from her he went to Wisconsin, that might have just be coincidence of timing though and unrelated.  And she might have family there too. [/nerd] 

Just goes to show you can't trust Wikipedia even on things like that!

24 minutes ago, lysmonger said:

Lol everyone needs to google the lindy effect now

in regards to rothfuss

Well geez... that’s not promising

With human projects and ventures we have another story. These are often scalable, as I said in Chapter 3. With scalable variables ... you will witness the exact opposite effect. Let's say a project is expected to terminate in 79 days, the same expectation in days as the newborn female has in years. On the 79th day, if the project is not finished, it will be expected to take another 25 days to complete. But on the 90th day, if the project is still not completed, it should have about 58 days to go. On the 100th, it should have 89 days to go. On the 119th, it should have an extra 149 days. On day 600, if the project is not done, you will be expected to need an extra 1,590 days. As you see, the longer you wait, the longer you will be expected to wait.[5]

I mean... what is Pats number up to now?!!?

Archived