Rothfuss XVII: a performance art finish?

Ser Scot A Ellison

On 9/5/2020 at 12:39 AM, Proudfeet said:

Am I the only who thinks the recent shots at Rothfuss are gratuitous and tasteless?

Sure, but Rothfuss suggesting that people asking for updates “fuck off and die” wasn’t the epitome of civil discourse either. No heroes here. 

39 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

You might be right but it would be helpful to be specific.  

Well, maybe those from lysmonger over the past couple of pages? Might have been more but I can't be bothered to look over the entire thread. I take my fair share of shots at Rothfuss too, but recently its been very petty.

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

Sure, but Rothfuss suggesting that people asking for updates “fuck off and die” wasn’t the epitome of civil discourse either. No heroes here. 

Sure, but I thought that we were a bunch of decent people here. I just thought that we were better than this.  Its a new level of low that makes me want to quit this thread to be honest. Like, really?

11 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Look at it this way. If I, the etiquette doyenne of the Board (by acclamation) told you that I have not yet found the level of discourse to be upsetting, would you -

a. Consider that there might be one or two people whom you might want to put on “ignore”,

b. Think of exploring other threads in the forum to perhaps find a discussion more to your liking?

c. Also, consider that if someone were truly offensive that you might want to report them to the mods (thereby saving all of us, potentially, from offensive behavior), or

d. All of the above?

Its not quite upsetting as disappointing. Maybe with a touch of disgust.

I'm just pointing it out to get a feel if this is the trend we are going down and also hopefully to rein it in. But yes, if this continues I'll just stop following this thread. 

Usually he has done something first though. And it wouldn't be so bad if he was at least witty about it, instead of just pointing and laughing. As I've said, I take my fair share of shots too. I'm certainly not defending Rothfuss. I just think that they are unprompted, tangentially related and crass.

So, yes, it is a drop in standards.

10 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

Did he ever address his publishers comments on his Twitch channel even if it was just to yell at the person?

He has not. 

Feels understandable too, because there's really no upside. People who are big mad at him will just take it as an opportunity to yell at him more. Eventually he'll probably be doing some sort of promotion for his charity, will be inundated with questions about it, and say that he and Betsy have spoken and it's private. I also expect that he will tell us that despite what you may have heard, he is working on the book.

If we were going to get much more than that, I think it already would have happened. 

18 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't really participated in these topics for years now but they must be a real font of Dinsey-esque sweetness and light usually that jabs as gentle as Lysmongers are considered a disappointing and disgusting drop in standards.

BOO YOU!!! I pointed out rothfuss/Whedon do silly things online. 

9 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

He has not. 

Feels understandable too, because there's really no upside. People who are big mad at him will just take it as an opportunity to yell at him more. Eventually he'll probably be doing some sort of promotion for his charity, will be inundated with questions about it, and say that he and Betsy have spoken and it's private. I also expect that he will tell us that despite what you may have heard, he is working on the book.

If we were going to get much more than that, I think it already would have happened. 

Ive met multiple people on colonist.io and on discord servers who have character names from his books, and they all agree he is never going to finish the third book.

15 hours ago, lysmonger said:

Ive met multiple people on colonist.io and on discord servers who have character names from his books, and they all agree he is never going to finish the third book.

I'm always surprised by that take. 

I don't think we're getting the book anytime soon, but I'm reasonably confident we'll get it eventually.

16 hours ago, lysmonger said:

https://coffeeandjunk.com/lindy-effect/

This article could describe Rothfuss as too inexperienced as an Author/ writer to have a robust system of writing work effort to last long in the industry. Perhaps if Rothfuss didn't burn too much in the public light it would've been easier for him to finish his novel. 

He did finish his novel.  Two of them in fact.  

The second have evidently been rewritten dozens of times.  I don't think for a moment laziness is the cause of delay.  It's the perfectionism-procrastination complex (as any lawyer will tell you). 

19 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

He did finish his novel.  Two of them in fact.  

The second have evidently been rewritten dozens of times.  I don't think for a moment laziness is the cause of delay.  It's the perfectionism-procrastination complex (as any lawyer will tell you). 

The second one was heavily pushed and doctored by his editors. Not saying they wrote it. There is just a significant amount of pushing help along with some authority, an editor, provides that gets Rothfuss  to write, and I don't see anyone doing this for him. 

His editor hasn't spoken to him about said book for over 5 years. 

Gaston de Foix This is off topic in the extreme, but I've been speculating for a very long time now whether or not your handle is a reference to Count Gaston Fébus de Foix, author of the classic Livre de chasse, and, eventually an ally of the Black Prince. If so, I confess to great curiosity as to how you were inspired to take that handle. :cheers:

2 hours ago, lysmonger said:

The second one was heavily pushed and doctored by his editors. Not saying they wrote it. There is just a significant amount of pushing help along with some authority, an editor, provides that gets Rothfuss  to write, and I don't see anyone doing this for him. 

His editor hasn't spoken to him about said book for over 5 years. 

I don't understand the bolded statement.  Can you please explain? Are you saying that his editors helped him write book 2 but for unknown reasons are refusing to help him finish book 3.  That would be self-defeating in the extreme.

Also - is there any evidence for the first sentence in your post?

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Gaston de Foix This is off topic in the extreme, but I've been speculating for a very long time now whether or not your handle is a reference to Count Gaston Fébus de Foix, author of the classic Livre de chasse, and, eventually an ally of the Black Prince. If so, I confess to great curiosity as to how you were inspired to take that handle. :cheers:

Yes. it's a beautiful manuscript isn't it? 

I was a little paranoid when I joined this forum.  A long-dead french nobleman with a love of the chase is as unlike me as I can imagine, and a fun reference for a medieval history buff.  

Archived