Rothfuss XVII: a performance art finish?

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Yes. it's a beautiful manuscript isn't it? 

I was a little paranoid when I joined this forum.  A long-dead french nobleman with a love of the chase is as unlike me as I can imagine, and a fun reference for a medieval history buff.  

I can see that.  Thank you for responding.  Just the sort of thing that makes me smile happily too.

13 hours ago, lysmonger said:

Didn't know there was 2 gaston de foix one from Spain a hundred so odd years later too

There were many.  It's like Edward of York or Brandon Stark of Winterfell.  There's a Gaston de Foix in the show Versailles as well.  It's just a very French name.  

Since this is ostensibly a thread devoted to PR's books I should point out that he does a good job of creating a world where nobility and titles really matter and can sometimes be matters of life and death.  But he didn't create a coherent peerage system for Vintas. 

To be fair neither did GRRM with his generic "Lords" and the silly appointment of Jamie Lannister as warden of the east. 

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

There were many.  It's like Edward of York or Brandon Stark of Winterfell.  There's a Gaston de Foix in the show Versailles as well.  It's just a very French name.  

Since this is ostensibly a thread devoted to PR's books I should point out that he does a good job of creating a world where nobility and titles really matter and can sometimes be matters of life and death.  But he didn't create a coherent peerage system for Vintas. 

To be fair neither did GRRM with his generic "Lords" and the silly appointment of Jamie Lannister as warden of the east. 

I think George wanted to creat essence that 'lord' in westeros was more of hereditary popular leader of his brood rather than the complicated administrative job some lordships were and were given directly by king. Ruins the  feel/magic of a thousands upon  thousands of years of history if you bring in characters/jobs which showed more evolution in a kingdom growing or such or progress is made. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, lysmonger said:

If you were in law enforcement, college, transportation industry, mail, or ups it was a very serious story. Him and his cohorts who were selling, developed techniques and 'how to wikipedia' where drugs were smuggled into the United States in through mail.  Drug trafficking through mail increased by 50 times from 2007. 

During this time he ran the website, he lived life as a frugal NEET living in San Francisco. 

In the end, the Justice Department ended up framing him with 3 attempted murders. One of the FBI agents involved in the case stole upwards of 100,000 dollars of Bitcoin from him. (Now worth over 50 million dollars give or take.)

At one point he himself ended up controlling about 50 percent of Bitcoin.

The Justice System gave him 2 life sentences. Major, major injustice. Presently he is waiting for pardon from Trump which may take from a year to 5 years from now.

Very interesting, given the legality of how the Justice Department took his life savings which was all in bitcoin at the time. So the possible counter lawsuit involved with the Federal Government may be in the rage of tens of billions of dollars. 

I have two agree that the double life sentence with no parole is too harsh. What happened to the FBI agent that stole the coins?

On 8/17/2020 at 8:15 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Nah, it’s not like you’re going to accidentally stumble across the dark web.

You’ll just know a lot more about some really shady and very interesting people.

For instance, Dread Pirate Roberts was basically with many millions of dollars in bitcoin, yet was...living in a basement, I think?

The super low profile lifestyle actually hindered the FBI a bit. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesdigitalcovers/2019/12/23/meet-the-dread-pirate-roberts-the-man-behind-booming-black-market-drug-website-silk-road/#4e7e3ed0482a

It was foolish of him to stay in the US. He should've moved to Russia or some obscure Carribbean Island or a country with no extradition treaty with the US.

• 5 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yeah, conversations on that score get quite heated on Tor.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, I'll read Doors of Stone as soon as it hypothetically becomes existent and available.

You know that one fast food place you love? Yeah, that one. You know not to go. But then you order, and god damn does it smell good. Really, really good. You wolf it down, enjoying every bite of saturated fat, salt, and artificial preservatives. It tastes like blissful childhood, perfect sex, your first day out of jail, your last Thanksgiving with your granma, and damn did you miss it. It's absolutely delicious. Then right near the end of your meal, your guts rumble a little. Unperturbed, you finish off those last greasy bites like a starved dog knawing at a withered bone. No one can judge you, not right now. Revel in it. Satiated, you sit back and wish perhaps you'd even bought one extra side dish after all. Time passes.

And then, your revery fades. Sure, you are full. It was delicious, right? Absolutely. Your favorite parts were just what you remembered from all those times past. But your guts are suddenly clenched. You start to think a bit more about that meal. Come on, you had fresh produce in the fridge, your friends had just told you about an amazing little take out place everyone loves. Heck, you'd been eating healthy for months! So why do you feel so gross all of a sudden? Surely one silly meal was worth it, you'll go back to proper food tomorrow. Gosh, your bowels are simply afire. Surely all those flavors you love were worth it? When you were a teenager, you'd eat that shit every night and a few lunches and tell all your friends there's nothing better in the world. In fact, maybe this time - this time surely that joint made it just right, just right and you won't regret it and maybe even will go back again next week. No, no, this feeling will not be ignored. Time to pay the piper. Your stumble to the toilet is fraught with nothing but regret and angst.

And then you shit.

.. Hey Pat, you gonna finish that book, or what?

7 hours ago, unJon said:

Have you seen the other videos? It’s definitely progress from him attitude wise. 

Yeah nothing of substance is harsh. He never directly goes 'well this is the deal, this is when I'll finish, sorry guys' but references to beta readers makes it seem pretty sure fears that he's not been writing at all are unfounded, he goes into some of the reasons why it's taken so long (and his references to revisions on previous books make it even clearer) and as you said just that he's willing to talk about it in a positive way seems a change. It's not gonna blow anyone's minds with new information, nor does it promise any kind of set date (which any GRRM reader should know would be vastly foolish of him) but it's nice to see.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah nothing of substance is harsh. He never directly goes 'well this is the deal, this is when I'll finish, sorry guys' but references to beta readers makes it seem pretty sure fears that he's not been writing at all are unfounded, he goes into some of the reasons why it's taken so long (and his references to revisions on previous books make it even clearer) and as you said just that he's willing to talk about it in a positive way seems a change. It's not gonna blow anyone's minds with new information, nor does it promise any kind of set date (which any GRRM reader should know would be vastly foolish of him) but it's nice to see.

Haven't seen the video but doesn't stop me from agreeing with this sentiment.  It would be nice for us to have more information about the book and criticism (however meritorious) will only mark a retreat to silence. 

I do think we have to be careful though not to assume his carefully framed statements are truthful or recent.  Authors aware of fan anticipation can frame carefully misleading statements or pass aspiration of as fact in order to people-please.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 3:20 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

I do think we have to be careful though not to assume his carefully framed statements are truthful or recent.  Authors aware of fan anticipation can frame carefully misleading statements or pass aspiration of as fact in order to people-please.  

He's admitted lying to his editor about progress in the past. It's not an enormous leap to imagine he's be willing to lie to all of us.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

When did he admit to lying to his editor?

I don’t tell Betsy about any of this, of course. Because I’m a newbie and I’m scared to death that I’m going to ruin my big chance with my for-real publisher. So I keep telling her everything is fine, and she keeps asking to see the draft of book two.

But I put her off again and again. Another month. Another two weeks. Four more days….

Eventually she says she *needs* it. Seriously. Now.

So I send it to her. It’s a mess.

It's an old blog post about him loving his publisher. In short, the book was a mess and he knew he was going to miss deadline, but he kept telling her everything was fine.

Link here if you want to see the whole thing. 

Archived