Rothfuss XVII: a performance art finish?

Ser Scot A Ellison

I feel like he has been giving this exact speech for a good 4 - 5 years now. We got more actual progress reports from GRRM. I also vastly prefer Lynch’s approach of just not saying anything. Rothfuss just says the same stuff over and over but refuses to state where he actually is progress wise. 

That being said, JV Jones has the preferred method of communication for these types of situations, which is actually substantially communicating her progress.

10 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I feel like he has been giving this exact speech for a good 4 - 5 years now.

I agree with this, but I will note that he seems more willing to give it lately, and there's a change in tone. I'm choosing to believe that it means he's actually working on it now. 

(As opposed to 4-5 years ago when his personal life was falling apart and I believe he was very rarely working on it.) 

On 3/30/2021 at 4:28 AM, jurble said:

I think Rothfuss should skip book 3 at this point.  Just open book 4, everyone has eyepatches and cyborg arms, Kvothe uses a katana and there's just oblique references to mysterious past events 

I've got a feeling this is pretty much what he already did, to some degree. There's one story where Kvothe is a young and promising wizard who optimistically sets out to brave whatever challenges the world throws at him. The world in general is doing quite well, there's peace, the supernatural forces are subdued, etc. Then there's one story where Kvothe is a beaten and broken man in a beaten and broken world ravaged by war and supernatural forces. The present of the framing story has very few references to the past of Kvothe's story - effectively, the past and present are radically different settings playing by radically different rules. Tying the two narratives together appears to be one of the biggest challenges Rothfuss is facing. 

On 4/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, Ninefingers said:

I agree with this, but I will note that he seems more willing to give it lately, and there's a change in tone. I'm choosing to believe that it means he's actually working on it now. 

(As opposed to 4-5 years ago when his personal life was falling apart and I believe he was very rarely working on it.) 

Rothfuss and I share the same agent and I've been in touch with Matt because I've submitted a new manuscript a few weeks back. Off the record, we did talk about Rothfuss and I can confirm that he is indeed in a much better state of mind. The main problem with Rothfuss is that he rewrites things constantly, over and over again, until he's satisfied.

So while he is working on book 3, it's impossible to tell when the manuscript will be done. He won't submit it to his editor until he feels like he's finished. Whether we're 5 months or 5 years away from that moment, your guess is as good as mine.

12 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Rothfuss and I share the same agent and I've been in touch with Matt because I've submitted a new manuscript a few weeks back. Off the record, we did talk about Rothfuss and I can confirm that he is indeed in a much better state of mind. The main problem with Rothfuss is that he rewrites things constantly, over and over again, until he's satisfied.

So while he is working on book 3, it's impossible to tell when the manuscript will be done. He won't submit it to his editor until he feels like he's finished. Whether we're 5 months or 5 years away from that moment, your guess is as good as mine.

Seems like you don’t know what “off the record” means.

Not at all. Everyone can see that he is in a much better state of mind and seems to want to engage with his fans more. It's been said everywhere in the last couple of weeks, not just in this thread. The way he works and revises everything are also common knowledge.

The rest, I've kept to myself. ;)

Archived