Sign in to follow this  
Ser Scot A Ellison

Rothfuss XVII: a performance art finish?

15 hours ago, lysmonger said:

Ive met multiple people on colonist.io and on discord servers who have character names from his books, and they all agree he is never going to finish the third book.

I'm always surprised by that take. 

I don't think we're getting the book anytime soon, but I'm reasonably confident we'll get it eventually.

16 hours ago, lysmonger said:

https://coffeeandjunk.com/lindy-effect/

This article could describe Rothfuss as too inexperienced as an Author/ writer to have a robust system of writing work effort to last long in the industry. Perhaps if Rothfuss didn't burn too much in the public light it would've been easier for him to finish his novel. 

He did finish his novel.  Two of them in fact.  

The second have evidently been rewritten dozens of times.  I don't think for a moment laziness is the cause of delay.  It's the perfectionism-procrastination complex (as any lawyer will tell you). 

19 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

He did finish his novel.  Two of them in fact.  

The second have evidently been rewritten dozens of times.  I don't think for a moment laziness is the cause of delay.  It's the perfectionism-procrastination complex (as any lawyer will tell you). 

The second one was heavily pushed and doctored by his editors. Not saying they wrote it. There is just a significant amount of pushing help along with some authority, an editor, provides that gets Rothfuss  to write, and I don't see anyone doing this for him. 

His editor hasn't spoken to him about said book for over 5 years. 

Gaston de Foix This is off topic in the extreme, but I've been speculating for a very long time now whether or not your handle is a reference to Count Gaston Fébus de Foix, author of the classic Livre de chasse, and, eventually an ally of the Black Prince. If so, I confess to great curiosity as to how you were inspired to take that handle. :cheers:

2 hours ago, lysmonger said:

The second one was heavily pushed and doctored by his editors. Not saying they wrote it. There is just a significant amount of pushing help along with some authority, an editor, provides that gets Rothfuss  to write, and I don't see anyone doing this for him. 

His editor hasn't spoken to him about said book for over 5 years. 

I don't understand the bolded statement.  Can you please explain? Are you saying that his editors helped him write book 2 but for unknown reasons are refusing to help him finish book 3.  That would be self-defeating in the extreme.

Also - is there any evidence for the first sentence in your post?

Edited by Gaston de Foix

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Gaston de Foix This is off topic in the extreme, but I've been speculating for a very long time now whether or not your handle is a reference to Count Gaston Fébus de Foix, author of the classic Livre de chasse, and, eventually an ally of the Black Prince. If so, I confess to great curiosity as to how you were inspired to take that handle. :cheers:

Yes. it's a beautiful manuscript isn't it? 

I was a little paranoid when I joined this forum.  A long-dead french nobleman with a love of the chase is as unlike me as I can imagine, and a fun reference for a medieval history buff.  

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Yes. it's a beautiful manuscript isn't it? 

I was a little paranoid when I joined this forum.  A long-dead french nobleman with a love of the chase is as unlike me as I can imagine, and a fun reference for a medieval history buff.  

I can see that.  Thank you for responding.  Just the sort of thing that makes me smile happily too.

13 hours ago, lysmonger said:

Didn't know there was 2 gaston de foix one from Spain a hundred so odd years later too

There were many.  It's like Edward of York or Brandon Stark of Winterfell.  There's a Gaston de Foix in the show Versailles as well.  It's just a very French name.  

Since this is ostensibly a thread devoted to PR's books I should point out that he does a good job of creating a world where nobility and titles really matter and can sometimes be matters of life and death.  But he didn't create a coherent peerage system for Vintas. 

To be fair neither did GRRM with his generic "Lords" and the silly appointment of Jamie Lannister as warden of the east. 

4 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

There were many.  It's like Edward of York or Brandon Stark of Winterfell.  There's a Gaston de Foix in the show Versailles as well.  It's just a very French name.  

Since this is ostensibly a thread devoted to PR's books I should point out that he does a good job of creating a world where nobility and titles really matter and can sometimes be matters of life and death.  But he didn't create a coherent peerage system for Vintas. 

To be fair neither did GRRM with his generic "Lords" and the silly appointment of Jamie Lannister as warden of the east. 

I think George wanted to creat essence that 'lord' in westeros was more of hereditary popular leader of his brood rather than the complicated administrative job some lordships were and were given directly by king. Ruins the  feel/magic of a thousands upon  thousands of years of history if you bring in characters/jobs which showed more evolution in a kingdom growing or such or progress is made. 

On 8/15/2020 at 11:29 PM, lysmonger said:

If you were in law enforcement, college, transportation industry, mail, or ups it was a very serious story. Him and his cohorts who were selling, developed techniques and 'how to wikipedia' where drugs were smuggled into the United States in through mail.  Drug trafficking through mail increased by 50 times from 2007. 

During this time he ran the website, he lived life as a frugal NEET living in San Francisco. 

In the end, the Justice Department ended up framing him with 3 attempted murders. One of the FBI agents involved in the case stole upwards of 100,000 dollars of Bitcoin from him. (Now worth over 50 million dollars give or take.)

At one point he himself ended up controlling about 50 percent of Bitcoin.

The Justice System gave him 2 life sentences. Major, major injustice. Presently he is waiting for pardon from Trump which may take from a year to 5 years from now.

Very interesting, given the legality of how the Justice Department took his life savings which was all in bitcoin at the time. So the possible counter lawsuit involved with the Federal Government may be in the rage of tens of billions of dollars. 

I have two agree that the double life sentence with no parole is too harsh. What happened to the FBI agent that stole the coins?

On 8/17/2020 at 8:15 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Nah, it’s not like you’re going to accidentally stumble across the dark web.

You’ll just know a lot more about some really shady and very interesting people.

For instance, Dread Pirate Roberts was basically with many millions of dollars in bitcoin, yet was...living in a basement, I think?

The super low profile lifestyle actually hindered the FBI a bit. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesdigitalcovers/2019/12/23/meet-the-dread-pirate-roberts-the-man-behind-booming-black-market-drug-website-silk-road/#4e7e3ed0482a

It was foolish of him to stay in the US. He should've moved to Russia or some obscure Carribbean Island or a country with no extradition treaty with the US.

Honestly, I'll read Doors of Stone as soon as it hypothetically becomes existent and available.

You know that one fast food place you love? Yeah, that one. You know not to go. But then you order, and god damn does it smell good. Really, really good. You wolf it down, enjoying every bite of saturated fat, salt, and artificial preservatives. It tastes like blissful childhood, perfect sex, your first day out of jail, your last Thanksgiving with your granma, and damn did you miss it. It's absolutely delicious. Then right near the end of your meal, your guts rumble a little. Unperturbed, you finish off those last greasy bites like a starved dog knawing at a withered bone. No one can judge you, not right now. Revel in it. Satiated, you sit back and wish perhaps you'd even bought one extra side dish after all. Time passes.

And then, your revery fades. Sure, you are full. It was delicious, right? Absolutely. Your favorite parts were just what you remembered from all those times past. But your guts are suddenly clenched. You start to think a bit more about that meal. Come on, you had fresh produce in the fridge, your friends had just told you about an amazing little take out place everyone loves. Heck, you'd been eating healthy for months! So why do you feel so gross all of a sudden? Surely one silly meal was worth it, you'll go back to proper food tomorrow. Gosh, your bowels are simply afire. Surely all those flavors you love were worth it? When you were a teenager, you'd eat that shit every night and a few lunches and tell all your friends there's nothing better in the world. In fact, maybe this time - this time surely that joint made it just right, just right and you won't regret it and maybe even will go back again next week. No, no, this feeling will not be ignored. Time to pay the piper. Your stumble to the toilet is fraught with nothing but regret and angst.

And then you shit.

.. Hey Pat, you gonna finish that book, or what?

3 hours ago, unJon said:

Watched second video. Actually impressed he answered a bunch of Doors of Stone questions without swearing or calling the questioners stupid. 

He says almost nothing of substance and certainly nothing about his progress.

11 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

:rolleyes:

ZOMG!!!!  Why didn’t you say that the top video features Rothfuss talking Sword of Truth in the first place!!!!! :lol: