Fight Club

Gaston de Foix

14 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Other than, say, Star Wars or LOTR fandom stuff, I don't think there's ever been a movie I didn't want to re-watch so soon. Like karaddin preaches, the movie is just so fun the second time, especially seeing his/their girlfriend completely baffled by this lunatic she's dating.

Saw it on theatre release with friends. Watched it again with some of these friends and a totally newbie one, at New Year's Eve. No need to precise it didn't go that well :D

Alas, contrary to Gaston's expectation, Fight Club got robbed and only got a nomination for Sound Editing... Kevin Spacey won for American Beauty (a movie Gaston should watch one day, if he hasn't). I can live with that, but Ed Norton should've been nominated at the very least. I still think there was some stealth-censorship against Fight Club at the time - not because it praised "toxic masculinity", but because of the massive criticism of capitalism gone amok and of our society based on massive consumption to get the economy running.

2 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

...What's the funniest movie ever made, in your opinion?

I agree that Fight Club is a depressing one.

As to the funniest?  I am bad at choosing one, but I would suggest that it might be found among the following.

• Buster Keaton in either Sherlock Jr. or Seven Chances
  • Mon Oncle
  • It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
  • Peter Sellers in After the Fox or Shot in the Dark
  • Blazing Saddles
  • Police Files (TV shows) and The Naked Gun (movie series)
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Trading Places
  • Drunken Master
  • Romancing the Stone
  • Three Amigos
  • Without a Clue
  • This is Spinal Tap
  • Clue
  • Dragnet
  • So I Married an Axe Murderer
  • Waking Ned Devine
  • Oh Brother, Where Art Thou
  • Anchorman
  • Casa de me Padre
  • Hunt for the Wilderpeople
  • Logan Lucky

5 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I don't know about funniest ever made, but one film I keep going back to which always makes me laugh is Step Brothers.

This.  The Fucking Catalina Wine Mixer!

Fight Club is depressing but also hilarious. I also found it amusing how, thematically, it's basically identical to American Beauty which came out in the same year. Such different approaches to the same subject matter. It does have to be said that though Fight Club is obviously a better film and has aged far better in most ways, AB did a better job in not doing the accidental glamourising thing.

Funniest movie ever made is the french stop-motion oddity A Town Called Panic! though. In my whole life I can remember laughing so hard I hurt myself three times at movies, and two of them were for this (the other one was a certain scene in The Other Guys).

5 hours ago, Kalibear said:

He's pretty restrained in the Batman movies - he has his swelling music, his slightly twisty bits, but there's very little ruminations on memory and the mind and what a person actually is, and what reality actually is. It's hard to explain, but when you see Memento you'll see how basically all of his other movies ever came about and why. 

You a fan of Satoshi Kon perchance (everyone should be a fan of Satoshi Kon and Nolan definitely is). Big presence of that kind of thing in his work.

Humor is terribly tough to recommend depending on the audience. I adore a lot of foul-mouthed or dark humor. My mom would abhor It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, though I am often brought to tears laughing so hard at it. I also like a lot of stupid stoner comedies - because, well, obvious reasons. But although I can still laugh for 90 minutes straight at Grandma's Boy, I realize it's a pretty terrible movie, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone as something worth watching. In no particular order, movies I think are both absolutely hilarious specifically to my taste, but also as a first-time watch to someone I don't even know:

• Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
  • What About Bob? 
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Airplane!
  • Clue
  • Hot Fuzz!
  • The Hangover
  • Wedding Crashers
  • The Big Lebowski 
  • Bridesmaids
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • The Other Guys
  • Anchorman / Zoolander (I love em both but neither can be watched if you don't think they're hilarious within 90 seconds or so)

I tried not to put repeats of the same lead, though you can generally see who I find the funniest. I am an 80s kid, so alas, older films are often brilliant, but i don't laugh at quite as much as films generally my age or younger. Finally, some movies that I consider absolutely hilarious, but for one reason or another - mostly your level of sobriety - many people would disagree with or not identify with the content:

Black Dynamite, Army of Darkness, Step Brothers, Stripes, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, [6 other Bill Murray movies], Office Space, Super Troopers, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, 

6 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Humor is terribly tough to recommend depending on the audience. I adore a lot of foul-mouthed or dark humor. My mom would abhor It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, though I am often brought to tears laughing so hard at it. I also like a lot of stupid stoner comedies - because, well, obvious reasons. But although I can still laugh for 90 minutes straight at Grandma's Boy, I realize it's a pretty terrible movie, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone as something worth watching. In no particular order, movies I think are both absolutely hilarious specifically to my taste, but also as a first-time watch to someone I don't even know:

• Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
  • What About Bob? 
  • Young Frankenstein
  • Airplane!
  • Clue
  • Hot Fuzz!
  • The Hangover
  • Wedding Crashers
  • The Big Lebowski 
  • Bridesmaids
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • The Other Guys
  • Anchorman / Zoolander (I love em both but neither can be watched if you don't think they're hilarious within 90 seconds or so)

I tried not to put repeats of the same lead, though you can generally see who I find the funniest. I am an 80s kid, so alas, older films are often brilliant, but i don't laugh at quite as much as films generally my age or younger. Finally, some movies that I consider absolutely hilarious, but for one reason or another - mostly your level of sobriety - many people would disagree with or not identify with the content:

Black Dynamite, Army of Darkness, Step Brothers, Stripes, The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou, [6 other Bill Murray movies], Office Space, Super Troopers, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut, 

What... no love for Pootie Tang?!!? :lol: 

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Funniest movie ever made is the french stop-motion oddity A Town Called Panic! though. In my whole life I can remember laughing so hard I hurt myself three times at movies, and two of them were for this (the other one was a certain scene in The Other Guys).

French Canadian television broadcast episodes of the Panic au Village TV show around the time that the movie was coming out, and I agree that it is some of the funniest stuff ever made.

We have never seen it in English (or the movie), but I would do simultaneous translation for my daughter, and between the nonsense story lines and my imperfect language skills, a normal five-minute episode would usually take us ten or fifteen minutes to laugh our way through.

The ridiculous situations, one-note characters, childish behavior, and low-budget stop-motion toy animation are a great combination for The Laffs.

Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels would be excellent comedies for this format as they still have plenty of room for speculation on how the twists and turns are going to play out.

On 8/11/2020 at 10:56 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

What's the funniest movie ever made, in your opinion?

Life of Brian

Hot Fuzz

Airplane

Honourable mention goes to What We Do In The Shadows - especially if looking for something less well known

On 8/12/2020 at 5:18 AM, polishgenius said:

Fight Club is depressing but also hilarious. I also found it amusing how, thematically, it's basically identical to American Beauty which came out in the same year. Such different approaches to the same subject matter. It does have to be said that though Fight Club is obviously a better film and has aged far better in most ways, AB did a better job in not doing the accidental glamourising thing.

A Town Called Panic is brilliant. It came to my attention after they did a series of milk adverts in the UK for Cravendale “Milk Milk!!”

I think there was also a tv series.

I would recommend watching in the original undubbed version as well, it just seems to be even funnier in French / Belgian.

7 hours ago, karaddin said:

Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels would be excellent comedies for this format as they still have plenty of room for speculation on how the twists and turns are going to play out.

While I love both, they mostly just make me sad these days because I can't help thinking about how Guy Ritchie's potential led to a very disappointing career after Snatch.  I like his Sherlock films, but other than that..yeesh.  I know it's typical for men to blame women, but I really do suspect in this case it was Madonna's fault.

Also on Wright/Pegg films, I think I actually prefer Hot Fuzz to Shaun of the Dead after dozens of viewings of each.

Simple way to avoid that problem is not to have watched his stuff post Snatch. I saw Layer Cake when it came out but nothing else since then other than the occasional rewatches of those two.

Yeah I haven't seen most of his stuff post-Snatch (that sounds dirty) other than Holmes either.  Just, I remember seeing Snatch in theaters and being like "this guy's gonna be one of the greats."  And then..a bunch of shit I'm not even interested in watching.  What's he doing now, the Aladdins?  *shake head emoji*

14 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Simple way to avoid that problem is not to have watched his stuff post Snatch. I saw Layer Cake when it came out but nothing else since then other than the occasional rewatches of those two.

That was Matthew Vaughn. 

I personally liked The Gentlemen a lot. 

Just now, Nictarion said:

That was Matthew Vaughn. 

I personally liked The Gentlemen a lot. 

It was?? I thought I remembered it being advertised as GR. I don't really remember it at all. Maybe it was sold as Ritchiesque.

Make that nothing since those two then lol.

Archived