What's the Most Ridiculous Editing of a Movie Scene Ever?

SpaceChampion

2 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

This famous scene from the fantastic Catwoman movie comes to mind. I love how many cuts there are to middle schoolers applauding these two adults stealing their basketball and playing by humping each other.

That was pure fucking insanity from start to finish. Jesus

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't know what that was but it is amazing!

I cheated a bit. It's The Last Slumber Party, a straight-to-video film ... that was featured on RiffTrax, from the MST3K guys:

I suspect there's a number of films in the MST3K/RiffTrax oeuvre that could fit in here. For example, the "classic" Manos: The Hand of Fate:

It's not editing as such, but the continuity in the LotR trilogy can be quite distracting at times, particularly as you can see they moved dialogue exchanges from later in the scene to earlier. It's particularly bad in Frodo/Bilbo and Gandalf's discussions in Bag End, and later at the Council of Elrond. People are standing one second, sitting down in the next, holding a drink to being bare-handed. It's one of those things you never notice on a first viewing but somewhere around the 50th becomes unmissable (like Ian McKellan knocking the table whilst talking to Bilbo and only the front half of the table wobbles, because of course the back half is a false perspective set for Ian Holm to sit at). Then there's stuff like Pippin finding Merry on the Pelennor Fields and the scene in daylight in the original cut is suddenly at night in the extended edition.

The editing of the opening of RotK in the cinematic cut is also dodgy AF, as they take out all the stuff with Saruman and Wormtongue with all the grace and subtlety of a sledgehammer.

TV would have a lot of good quality candidates. There's some stuff in Blake's 7 that is particularly nonsensical, like Brian Blessed's death scene which made zero sense (even for 1978).

I can't find a clip of it, but in the original Evil Dead movie, they wanted a full moon, but none of the nights during their shoot had it, so they edited the Moon in post-production. So in the shots where the Moon is seen, you can see a square around it of a different shade than the rest of the sky. :laugh:

If you don't notice it until the 50th watch, I don't think it can qualify as "ridiculous/worst" edits/continuity. Hell, I've seen the LOTR trilogy probably close to 50 times and I haven't noticed some of those things. I think if you watch just about any movie or show this much, things like this will eventually jump out at you.

The editing in the Isengard scenes in the cinematic edition of ROTK is definitely very off though, though.

13 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

I like this scene better than the Catwoman scene. 

I just noticed on rewatch that when they film the surgeon murderer person from the back the person playing him in those shots is not only not wearing a surgical mask, but is wearing glasses. Now that's quality filmmaking and continuity!

Nothing will ever top Manos, Hands of Fate for incompetent editing (or any other evidence of incompetence), but wan't Catwoman supposed to be a big hit?  I never saw it, but that clip above is terrible on several levels.

The Taken 3 editing is pointless unless Liam Neeson just couldn't do it in one shot, but the Catwoman stuff is garbage.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Nothing will ever top Manos, Hands of Fate for incompetent editing (or any other evidence of incompetence), but wan't Catwoman supposed to be a big hit?  I never saw it, but that clip above is terrible on several levels.

I've also not seen Catwoman but while it may have had a much bigger budget than Manos it was still a huge flop. It won several awards for Worst Film etc. at the Razzie awards, I remember hearing that Halle Berry was one of the first 'winners' to actually show up in person to collect the award.

Archived