How exactly were Aemond, Vhaegar and Dark Sister recovered?

Alyn Oakenfist

So I've read a pretty shit fan fiction that suggested white walker could attach chains to dragons and drag them out of the water, bu seeing as here were talking about actual quality content and not fan fiction, how were Vhegar, Aemond and Dark Sister recovered, given that we know Dark Sister returned to the family?

I've thought about this as well. Keep in mind though, they took off from within Harrenhal & the dying Caraxes was able to pull himself ashore before expiring, so it seems the dragons clashed only a short distance over the lake. Perhaps the Gods Eye's infamous currents eventually washed them up or there was a severe drought during Aegon III's reign, exposing Vhagar's bones. After all, not only is Dark Sister recovered some years after the draconic fight, but Vhagar's skull ends up in the Red Keep.

This would happen in the 150s, I'd think, after they dealt with Alys Rivers and her pretender son - just as they did only then bury the remains of Larys Strong at Harrenhal.

I expect the carcass eventually washed up at the shore, possibly even before Alys and her son were done, so her pretender could not only ride a dragon in his war but also wield Dark Sister as another token of his status as the rightful king.

Though I concur with comments above it would be derelict to ignore a place where lots of stuff shows up...

We are blessed here. Where the river meets the bay, the currents and the tides wrestle one against the other, and many strange and wondrous things are pushed toward us, to wash up on our shores. Driftwood is the least of it. We have found silver cups and iron pots, sacks of wool and bolts of silk, rusted helms and shining swords . . . aye, and rubies."  AFFC Brienne VI

Archived