US Politics: Presidential Harris-ment!

Fragile Bird

38 minutes ago, DMC said:

Heh.  Perhaps he should just go for the gusto and re-nominate Palin.

Don't even joke about that.

I don't think my brain could handle the unmitigated onslaught of stupidity that would result.

The "Harris slept her way to the top" angle was tried a year ago by Tomi Lahren, who might have thought that attacking Harris that way was her ticket to go from Deep Cable to Basic Cable (imagine selling your dignity and soul and only getting a Fox Nation show out of it).  She got shouted down by other Fox blonde-bots.

So I guess the Willie Brown thing might really score with people who weren't exactly Harris's natural constituency anyway, but I also think levying such a nakedly misogynistic attack at a successful woman is not going to help the Republicans with their suburban white woman problem.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Obviously this is disgusting, but it does raise the point that her prior relationship with Willie Brown is probably gonna be used by Trump/GOP.  Frankly I'm surprised it wasn't used during the primary season.

Would that really hurt her though? It's hard to imagine it'd be polarizing enough to alienate votes away from the ticket. Many would think it sexist to even suggest, and perhaps many would think so what, bully for her.  

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

So I guess the Willie Brown thing might really score with people who weren't exactly Harris's natural constituency anyway, but I also think levying such a nakedly misogynistic attack at a successful woman is not going to help the Republicans with their suburban white woman problem.

Yes, because clearly in 2016 white women (who voted for Trump in a majority) were turned off by naked misogyny

Gotta say, I it's pretty funny to see the picture Trump is trying to paint of the Democrats. The idea that Biden is being puppeted by communists is super funny, and now he seems to be suggesting that Corey Booker is coming for white suburbanites, as if he was out there talking about how we need to cut down the tall trees.

Remember when Alex Jones was a big deal and would go do shit at major events? Now he is reduced to harassing lifeguards at Austin parks

Just now, Kalibear said:

Yes, because clearly in 2016 white women (who voted for Trump in a majority) were turned off by naked misogyny.

A fair point, but lots of white women turned on Hillary Clinton the minute she said she wouldn't bake cookies for a contest. I don't think Harris has that baggage.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

A fair point, but lots of white women turned on Hillary Clinton the minute she said she wouldn't bake cookies for a contest. I don't think Harris has that baggage.

Clinton had all sorts of baggage, but in general don't underestimate how much women have internalized the misogyny in the system - particularly the misogyny around women daring to achieve anything. 

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Gotta say, I it's pretty funny to see the picture Trump is trying to paint of the Democrats. The idea that Biden is being puppeted by communists is super funny, and now he seems to be suggesting that Corey Booker is coming for white suburbanites, as if he was out there talking about how we need to cut down the tall trees.

Remember when Alex Jones was a big deal and would go do shit at major events? Now he is reduced to harassing lifeguards at Austin parks

But remember, kids, deplatforming is REALLY WRONG and we should all care very deeply about this person's right to broadcast bullshit on youtube

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

Would that really hurt her though?

Nah, I don't think it'd have much of an effect.  I think they think it would though, which is why I expect it to be brought up.  Hell, with Trump's rambling tweets, once he finds that out I'm sure he'll mention it.

As for comparing Kamala Harris as the VP nominee in 2020 against President Trump to Hillary Clinton against Trump after eight years of a Democratic president, it's simply not a valid comparison.  Just stop.  Not to mention Trump simply got incredibly lucky in order to win - and a significant part of that had to do with depressed black turnout in urban areas within Michigan, Pennsylvania, and even Wisconsin.  Hm, I wonder who could help Biden with black turnout...

1 hour ago, Kalibear said:

But remember, kids, deplatforming is REALLY WRONG and we should all care very deeply about this person's right to broadcast bullshit on youtube

Milo would like a word. Or a tear or two.

1 minute ago, Kalibear said:

Clinton had all sorts of baggage, but in general don't underestimate how much women have internalized the misogyny in the system - particularly the misogyny around women daring to achieve anything. 

Sure. But also maybe the oft-touted "53% of white women voted for Trump" thing is a little overblown, according to this article, which argues that white women more or less broke evenly in 2016. Still not great in the pussy-grabber election, but the article also points out that he got 35% of college-educated white women. Since that demographic has been identified as a swing constituency since the days of blathering about "soccer moms," I still think that's a bad angle for Republicans to take.

2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Sure. But also maybe the oft-touted "53% of white women voted for Trump" thing is a little overblown, according to this article, which argues that white women more or less broke evenly in 2016. Still not great in the pussy-grabber election, but the article also points out that he got 35% of college-educated white women. Since that demographic has been identified as a swing constituency since the days of blathering about "soccer moms," I still think that's a bad angle for Republicans to take.

My point even if the 52% or 53% is not precisely accurate is that in general, white women were not particularly turned off by Trump in massive fashion, and betting on them to be turned off by Trump in 2020 is probably not a winning strategy, at least to a great degree. Furthermore, the idea that misogyny will somehow make them less likely to vote for Trump when he's been running on that for years and won with it doesn't seem realistic to me either. They're probably worse than they were in 2016 given the 2018 results, but I doubt very seriously anyone is on the fence about Trump; what they might be, however, is on the fence on whether Biden/Harris is worse or not. 

Just now, Kalibear said:

My point even if the 52% or 53% is not precisely accurate is that in general, white women were not particularly turned off by Trump in massive fashion, and betting on them to be turned off by Trump in 2020 is probably not a winning strategy, at least to a great degree. Furthermore, the idea that misogyny will somehow make them less likely to vote for Trump when he's been running on that for years and won with it doesn't seem realistic to me either. They're probably worse than they were in 2016 given the 2018 results, but I doubt very seriously anyone is on the fence about Trump; what they might be, however, is on the fence on whether Biden/Harris is worse or not. 

Dude, I just don't think the "you slept with Willie Brown" attack will be effective against Harris. I'd imagine she's got half a dozen zingers to return the volley if it comes up.

Seeing the same people who freaked out over Bernie Bros are now talking about the K-Hive as if they aren't the most psychotic of the Democratic candidates supporters. Bernie Bros have nothing on K-hive in terms of being toxic, and you're not going to hear a peep about them.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Seeing the same people who freaked out over Bernie Bros are now talking about the K-Hive as if they aren't the most psychotic of the Democratic candidates supporters. Bernie Bros have nothing on K-hive in terms of being toxic, and you're not going to hear a peep about them.

Haven't seen it or experienced it at all. This framing seems ... biased. Any links?

I have never heard this term either but I suppose that's just the nefarious influence of the mainstream media and DNC again.

One delightful part of the Harris nomination is the Bernie fans using it as a fresh occasion to pick at their scabs and complain about her lack of purity.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

This ignores all available data since 2016.  The most significant shift in 2018 was among white women, and polling for 2020 demonstrates an increased gender gap across the board.

It's a shift of 2% per your links. I think that's entirely aligned with what I said, where I said specifically "They're probably worse than they were in 2016 given the 2018 results, but I doubt very seriously anyone is on the fence about Trump"

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

What the hell is a K-hive? Killer bees?

It's her online supporters/fans. [edit: they coined the name themselves]

They're definitely no bullshit, on the mean. They went after Warren a lot for allegedly cribbing Harris' policy proposals.

___

On another note, Bird, figured you'd like this doozy: 

Archived