US Politics: Presidential Harris-ment!

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, I'm not going to re litigate whether or not Bernie Bros are the evil boogeyman or r not, neither of us are going to change each others minds. All I'm saying is that from what I saw, and many other people in the Bernie Sphere saw, was a lot of bullshit thrown our way from Harris supporters. I"m not even complaining that the K-hive folks were too toxic, I don't care about civility politics personally the examples that I gave earlier were examples that most people would find objectionable. What I care about is that one side was vilified and the other is now being touted as a glorious boon to the ticket.

I don't know that I've seen this expressed anywhere, unless you're referring to the much needed level up to the digital campaign machine that Biden really needed [which Harris brings in spades] If that's the case, they're not the same. 

1 minute ago, JEORDHl said:

I don't know that I've seen this expressed anywhere, unless you're referring to the much needed level up to the digital campaign machine that Biden really needed [which Harris brings in spades] If that's the case, they're not the same. 

I'm referencing this

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

I'm referencing this

That blatantly and purposefully ignores context.  While I've heard of the "K-Hive" before, they aren't nearly what happened with the "Bernie Bros" bullshit.  Which I agree was mostly bullshit, and said so at the time right here.  But Harris having a devoted online constituency is certainly a plus - which is what the second headline was about.  The Bernie Bros did become a political liability for him, at least among the talking heads - I don't think it actually had much of an electoral effect.  So, sure, you can have a beef about that unfairness among the political media I suppose.  But it really don't matter.

I'm going to say its an outlier, but it makes me feel better when the outliers are looking like this:

They pushed all the undecideds, and didn't let voters choose third party candidates, but the third party candidates have not been polling nearly as well as they did in 2016; so I don't think that changes things too substantially.

24 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, I'm not going to re litigate whether or not Bernie Bros are the evil boogeyman or r not, neither of us are going to change each others minds. All I'm saying is that from what I saw, and many other people in the Bernie Sphere saw, was a lot of bullshit thrown our way from Harris supporters. I"m not even complaining that the K-hive folks were too toxic, I don't care about civility politics personally the examples that I gave earlier were examples that most people would find objectionable. What I care about is that one side was vilified and the other is now being touted as a glorious boon to the ticket.

As for you saying that I am excusing anything, that is untrue, though I can see how you misunderstood what I was saying. As I said, her supporters were the worst of the non-Bernie supporters in terms of their interactions with others, that is not saying that K-Hive was representative of all Harris supporters, nor were Bernie Bros representative of all Bernie supporters.

Calling them psychotic is definitely hyperbole, gotta get my brain out of primary mode. That said, I think one of the reasons that you don't see the articles about K-hive being bad is because of the difference between the people who caught the brunt of the two sides ire. Bernie Bros went after journalists who they saw as spreading misinformation. In my experience K-Hive folks were going after Bernie supporters directly (not that Bernie supporters didn't go after other candidates supporters too). Obviously when it is journalists and public figures who get attacked, you're going to hear about it more because they are more visible have a larger platform.

This is a little ironic considering that the thing that was memorably Bernie Bro about this Primary cycle was Warren supporters of any stripe getting snake emojis and hissing comments to anything they posted about her from... Bernie Bros. The harassment was pretty comprehensive and focussed on her supporters, to the point that my 150 follower Instagram account got inundated with snake emoji replies when I linked to a Warren plan on Medium. And I checked, and these weren't bots, for the most part. 

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

Also, my brain must be working slow today, but I just realized that one confirmed pleasure I can definitely look forward to this year is Pence getting eviscerated by Harris. That's going to be... Glorious. 

I can see Pence's furtive glances around the room now. Kamala will hang his whole ass out there, and he'll be all on his lonesome. It'll be a bloodbath, of the chickenskin dimpled, cold sweat variety.

And if it was made ppv, it'd rake in good coin.

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

That blatantly and purposefully ignores context.  While I've heard of the "K-Hive" before, they aren't nearly what happened with the "Bernie Bros" bullshit.  Which I agree was mostly bullshit, and said so at the time right here.  But Harris having a devoted online constituency is certainly a plus - which is what the second headline was about.  The Bernie Bros did become a political liability for him, at least among the talking heads - I don't think it actually had much of an electoral effect.  So, sure, you can have a beef about that unfairness among the political media I suppose.  But it really don't matter.

My objection has always been how the media portrayed them. They became a liability because the media made a big deal of them in 2016, which in turn lead to a backlash among Bernie supporters who felt attacked and ended up doubling down against media types. I think the fact that most media folks tend to be of a centrist (or establishment) mindset and usually toe the party line of their corporate media employers who were already disinclined to like Sanders contributed to a bias against Bernie supporters that just ended up in a giant feedback loop.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with Harris and Biden sounded in their little event today. I still don't like the fact that Biden is the nominee, but I'm slowly coming around to not feeling totally disgusted at the prospect of filling in the bubble on my ballot.

1 minute ago, fionwe1987 said:

This is a little ironic considering that the thing that was memorably Bernie Bro about this Primary cycle was Warren supporters of any stripe getting snake emojis and hissing comments to anything they posted about her from... Bernie Bros. The harassment was pretty comprehensive and focussed on her supporters, to the point that my 150 follower Instagram account got inundated with snake emoji replies when I linked to a Warren plan on Medium. And I checked, and these weren't bots, for the most part. 

The Warren situation is different in my mind. That wasn't a situation where it was just standard supporter on supporter hostilities, a lot of Bernie folks were pretty hurt by her actions, not that it excuses the whole snake thing. It was so clear that the establishment candidates were all going to present a mostly united front against Bernie and Warren, and then to see Warren pull that shit in the debate was a blow because it wasn't going to help her, but seemed to be meant to damaged Bernie. It felt like a betrayal.

59 minutes ago, DMC said:

Is Pence even allowed to be in the same room as Harris?  I don't know how those rules work?

I imagine there's some kind of religious defence committee he'd have to get an exemption from, Mrs Pence's preference(s) not withstanding.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's certainly a fair and important objection, I agree on that.

We've been agreeing fairly often lately. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Time for a Trump briefing, strap in for some stupid.

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

We've been agreeing fairly often lately. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

If you'd like I could take 6 shots to blackout in the next hour then make an ass out of myself...

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

That's certainly a fair and important objection, I agree on that.

The KHive didn't exist 5 years ago - the media is reporting on year five of frothing BernieBros. I stopped speaking to multiple friends back in 2016 for a significant period of time. Many never changed although some did (after much introspection - anathema to the constituency we're talking about).

Archived