Watch, Watched, Watching: I missed the last thread?

RedEyedGhost

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I meant the original observation was odd about her looking unexplainably worse on Sopranos than other shows.  As for her being the GOAT, again I dunno, I'd have to think about it.  This is obviously biased, but I'll take Eva Green in (the original) Penny Dreadful ahead of her every time, even if the series has less than half the episodes.

I realized that after I responded. I edited my post. As for Eva Green in Penny Dreadful? She was great. Edie Falco was better, imo. There’s been some other great performances since The Sopranos like Keri Russell in The Americans, Carrie Coon on The Leftovers, but for me Gandolfini and Falco are still the best as far as tv goes. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

The Godfather is amazing. The second one is good, but also kinda redundant? I don't even remember if I finished the third. 

I’m in the minority of people that seems to prefer the first one over the second. I absolutely adore both, but I think part 1 is just a little tighter. And Michael’s arc in original is one of the best in film history. That said, the De Niro young Vito scenes in 2 might be my favorites to rewatch. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

The Godfather is amazing. The second one is good, but also kinda redundant? I don't even remember if I finished the third. 

I'm not sure if this is facetious or not, but Two is definitely not redundant.  It finishes the story while also providing us with the actual beginning of the story in a very ingenious presentation.  I honestly go back and forth on whether One or Two are my favorite.

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I realized that after I responded. I edited my post.

No worries.  And thinking about it a bit..yeah, I gotta say, there aren't as many "great" female television performances as I assumed there would be.  I don't know if that says something bad about me, or Hollywood, or just the world, but it's certainly disappointing in some way.

42 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m in the minority of people that seems to prefer the first one over the second. I absolutely adore both, but I think part 1 is just a little tighter. And Michael’s arc in original is one of the best in film history. That said, the De Niro young Vito scenes in 2 might be my favorites to rewatch. 

Agreed, and when he lies to Kay and that door is closed it's basically over. II is just more of him being evil. It's entertaining, but I don't like it nearly as much. The flashbacks are the best part, but that's like what 40 minutes of a 3+ hour movie? 

29 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Agreed, and when he lies to Kay and that door is closed it's basically over. II is just more of him being evil.

Oh c'mon.  The door-shutting does not mean it's basically over.  He still had the opportunity for redemption after that.  That's why Kay says this near the beginning of two, which is a callback to one:

It made me think of what you once told me: "In five years the Corleone family will be completely legitimate." That was seven years ago.

Michael's story isn't over until the final scene in Two where half of his face is shadowed.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’ve always liked the first better too(tighter is the perfect way to describe it). It’s a masterpiece from start to finish with really no weaknesses. Some parts in 2 drag some, but the young Vito scenes are absolutely brilliant.

The only things I remember about the third one are Pacino’s silent scream at the end, Sofia Coppola being awful and it bored me.

The Last Full Measure

Its the emotional true story of a 30 yr mission to get an overlooked Enlisted Airman the Medal of Honor.

The movie is worthy of your time just on the basis of the extraordinary cast they assembled for this.

Very poignant story, well done all the way around:thumbsup:

14 hours ago, DMC said:

No worries.  And thinking about it a bit..yeah, I gotta say, there aren't as many "great" female television performances as I assumed there would be.  I don't know if that says something bad about me, or Hollywood, or just the world, but it's certainly disappointing in some way.

I've been thinking about it and cant think of another female tv performance that was so good that I'd say with certainty that it shows Falco's performance isnt the best. I guess I owe @Nictarion an apology. Maybe CJ in the west wing, maybe Selina in veep. But it's not a given they were better. 

I used to prefer G II because there seemed to be more directorial virtuosity between the gorgeous Vegas/Cuba+splicing of young Vito.  Now  that I'm old, I can't take the darkness of GII so I prefer GI. GIII is better forgotten, I was shocked when looking something up and found out it had been nominated for 7?? Oscars, how did that happen?  

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I used to prefer G II because there seemed to be more more directorial virtuosity between the gorgeous Vegas/Cuba+splicing of young Vito.  Now now that I'm old, I can't take the darkness of GII so I prefer GI. GIII is better forgotten, I was shocked when looking something up and found out it had been nominated for 7?? Oscars, how did that happen?  

The same way the final season of GoT was nominated for so many Emmys...

Getting close to the end of my Lost rewatch. Season 6, unfortunately, is still not impressive on rewatch.

Spoiler

The first eight episodes or so are especially pretty bad, all in all. It's so strange after the breakneck speed of seasons 3B and 4-5 to suddenly slow down to a snail's pace in the final season with the Temple plotline and the very, very slow reveals of what's happening with Jacob and the Man in Black. And the flash sideways really, really don't help. Things do pick up with the Richard episode (which I still think is great), because at that point our characters get motivations beyond walking to random landmarks or sitting around doing nothing.

But aside from the flash sideways, the thing that bothers me the most: how is it that nobody wants to ask the smoke monster for a) his name and b) the reason why he was rampaging around the jungle threatening and killing them for five seasons? I just watched the scene in The Last Recruit where Smokie tells Jack he's just been trying to protect the 815ers and get them off the island the whole time. How is it that nobody is like: "uhhhhh... what about the pilot you killed? And Mr. Eko?" It's so strange, given how tightly plotted seasons 3B-5 are, that season 6 feels in some ways like a completely different show.

I’ve watched 4 eps of S2 of The Umbrella Academy.  It’s very good so far.  The energy and humor is great, the balance between the characters and their storylines is good, the setting time and place is used very well, and there’s less emo angst between the siblings even though they all brought their individual patterns of self-destructiveness with them.  Klaus, 5 and Alison continue to be big hits as characters and actors, the parts of Diego and Ben are well acted despite being not-great parts, and the less said about Luther and Vanya (as characters or actors) the better.  The Commission characters are very good again.

We also discovered The Windsors on Netflix.  A very funny parody.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

The same way the final season of GoT was nominated for so many Emmys...

Three is undeniably a steep drop in quality from one and two, but it's pretty damn insulting to compare it to GoT's last season.  Three may be slow and plodding, but it's still overall at least an average movie in terms of quality.  I..would not say the same thing about the final season.

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Season 6, unfortunately, is still not impressive on rewatch.

As I said earlier, it goes by a lot better if you just fast forward through the flash sideways storylines.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Three is undeniably a steep drop in quality from one and two, but it's pretty damn insulting to compare it to GoT's last season.  Three may be slow and plodding, but it's still overall at least an average movie in terms of quality.  I..would not say the same thing about the final season.

My point was part 3 probably got votes by people who hadn’t even seen it. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

As I said earlier, it goes by a lot better if you just fast forward through the flash sideways storylines.

Eh, even so. After the premiere, the island action is pretty bad too.

Spoiler

Jack and co. hang out at the temple. Dogan and the new Others refuse to answer questions for no real reason, like the days where they were back in the cages on Hydra island, except now they knoew that our main characters are the most important people on the island. Jacob shows up and tells people to walk here. They walk there and then something happens at the end, like a lot of season 2 or early season 3 episodes. Ilana says vague things about "Locke." Sun asks where Jin is. Repeat. Even the episode where Smokie attacks the temple doesn't amount to much, since we don't find out anything about why the temple is important or care about the characters there.

The one really good episode in the early season is probably The Subsitute, which at least has good Smokey/Sawyer banter and an important reveal.

40 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yellowstone is far from perfect but Rip is easily one of my favorite characters on any show I have ever watched. What a man

Agreed. And really, I like the show a lot. We're blasting our way through it, midway through season 3 now and wildly entertained. 

Archived