Watch, Watched, Watching: I missed the last thread?

RedEyedGhost

33 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

In what world are some cheesy car movies and kids flying around on brooms on par with a Goodfellas or a Mean Streets? 

Mission accomplished when an offhand reference by Maith to F&F in a conversation about Creed 2 leads to an multi-page appreciation of the F&F series culminating in its comparison to Goodfellas. This is what happens when you live your life one quarter of a thread at a time. 

This thread should be orderly as the lineups to the ordering counter for the Soup Nazi.  None of this discussion crap for pages and pages of F&F or the god damned Godfather.  Step forth meekly,  state what you're watching, watched or might watch, shuffle aside for the next boarder to do the same.   Let's do it in member number order.  Who is #1?

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, this is America, where the all mighty $$$ is God, so technically the franchises about witches and flying cars and the franchise about cars falling gracefully in the sky are of more value than Goodfellas. :P

I mean...not really. This is a global market dominated by overseas ticket sales. Especially now when the US has fucked things up to the point where I can't even go see tenant without my reverse entropy killing my grandma. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

We have whole threads for the Marvel universe but a few pages talking about Fast and Furious is too far? No fair.

Any post devoted to Fast and Furious is too far.

Last night I watched Lost in Translation for the first time and I though I fully expected it to be an anti-climax...it really was an anti-climax. I feel like I could have just turned off after the opening shot and not really have missed out on anything. It just felt weak and watery and and it didn't really have very much to say for itself. 

10 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

One of my New York buddies was Italian, but not really much of a stereotype. That did not hold true for his cousin, who I met a few times. Myself and many others often wondered if it was all an act. Adidas jumpsuits in summer, badly fitting suits or Knicks jerseys in winter, garish jewelry, exaggerated "Eyyyyy, fuggetabowdit!"s all the time. He took himself so seriously, though, that you couldn't help but think that if you ever teased him about any of it, he might actually bring back a couple goombas for a second conversation. As a Midwesterner transplant, I always got such a kick out of it when he'd go on a rant about something, with his wildly evocative hand gestures and over-the-top machismo. I always imagined he was a closet nerd, and had to give himself bathroom mirror, Jersey Shore-level pep talks to dive into his persona. The man only dated absolute knockouts, though, so at least some of his game must have been legit.

Perhaps he was a customer of Will Ferrel/Gator as seen up thread ;) 

Interesting though to hear that there are people like that in real life, whether they have to psych themselves up for it or not. I think I wouldn't be able to stand that in real life XD

10 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

She won an Oscar for that role.

Don't know what the competition was that year, but that does seem a little excessive at first glance :idea:

10 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Tell me about the two Yutes!

They were kind of non-entities in the film :P

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh it was a dumb Rock movie from the parts I saw. Oddly enough he's usually really good in his kids' movie roles. 

But those movies are bad even by the Rock standards. I can stand a Jumanji from time to time as a pallet cleanser, but there are limits to everything.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Jumping from building to building in fast cars wasn't enough for you?

I'm just waiting to see how they'll get us to cars.....in space!!!!!

If Tom Cruise can go to actual space for a new (MI?) film, than why the fuck not :D I think everyone is expecting F&F to make that leap eventually, so I wonder how long they'll put it off :)

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think it is inevitable at some point in the franchise they will have to defend the Earth from aliens by driving really really fast.

I mean, I'd watch* that, wouldn't you.

*at least I'd buy a movie ticket to it. Don't know about watching it per se, but that would be a stunning piece of post-modern film making.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Discussing great directors is one thing.  Discussing a ridiculous action franchise that has absolutely no discernible merit whatsoever is entirely another.

I think F&F has more staying power than you'd think. I can see this being like the subject of dissertations over popular film making at the start of the 21st century. 

At least the cast is super diverse. Don't think any other franchise comes close to showing the reality of America in its cast than these movies. It's also nice that it is not based on any previously established IP. Plus, the shear insanity of how everything is malleable in this universe (timeline wise, death wise and definitely genre wise is pretty cool) 

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean the films aren't terrible, but they have more merit than say the bad marvel and DC movies.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

I mean...not really. This is a global market dominated by overseas ticket sales. Especially now when the US has fucked things up to the point where I can't even go see tenant without my reverse entropy killing my grandma. 

So hyped to see Tenent on Friday :D 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Last night I watched Lost in Translation for the first time and I though I fully expected it to be an anti-climax...it really was an anti-climax. I feel like I could have just turned off after the opening shot and not really have missed out on anything. It just felt weak and watery and and it didn't really have very much to say for itself. 

It's a raging garbage fire. Glad to see that I'm not alone in hating it.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

At least the cast is super diverse.

Can't deny that the cast is impressively diverse - in fact I like a lot of the people involved.  But that's like giving out participation trophies.

I watched the Prime Suspect prequel, which I never knew existed.  It was in that generic generally good but somehow not that good category.  Having young Jane Tennison immediately fall for her boss, as if we must have some type of 'romance' even in a cop procedural was weak, and then not even realize he was married, even weaker.  Great soundtrack, but I can see why it wasn't renewed. 

High Score on Netflix meant well but was disappointing. You can't do the history of video gaming from the late 1970s to mid-1990s in six 35-minute episodes and it was kind of insane they tried. The result was that they missed out too many important games (the absence of Elite was insane), figures and even entire hardware (the Amiga not even being mentioned is hilarious, but the Sega Master System getting zero mention in the episode that was all about Sega was surreal).

They even did an odd thing with the figures they did bring in, so they talked to Roberta Williams, the effective creator of the graphic adventure genre, but didn't mention her King's Quest series, which she's famour for, once, instead discussing Mystery House (an underrated, important game in the genre but a pretty obscure one). They also talked to Rebecca Heineman about her position as arguably the world's first e-sports figure (winning the world's first international arcade competition, for Space Invaders, in 1980) and didn't once mention her position as an important video games writer and designer. I mean, they had the co-writer of The Bard's Tale III and Wasteland right there and she doesn't even appear in the RPG episode, which stretched itself into contortions by trying to jump from Ultima to Final Fantasy without discussing the numerous important RPGs that fell between (Wizardry was arguably more important on a global scale; Might & Magic and The Bard's Tale was hugely important as well whilst Dragon Quest directly inspired the original FF).

There were some really good anecdotes that cropped up along the way and some interesting facts I hadn't seen before, but overall as a documentary it left a lot to be desired. YouTube channels like NoClip are much better-researched, better-written and more professionally presented.

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I mean, I'd watch* that, wouldn't you.

*at least I'd buy a movie ticket to it. Don't know about watching it per se, but that would be a stunning piece of post-modern film making.

It is inevitable that I would. I've not paid to watch any of the F&F movies so far, but I have seen all of them except the second one.

Tokyo Drift is the only one I've seen most of too. Though I gotta say this thread has tempted me to watch the others. I get why they're going fast but remind me what are they so furious about? 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Tokyo Drift is the only one I've seen most of too. Though I gotta say this thread has tempted me to watch the others. I get why they're going fast but remind me what are they so furious about? 

I don't think I've seen more than a minute of any of the films, but what I can tell from media coverage is they're mostly furious at each other.

Archived