Watch, Watched, Watching: I missed the last thread?

RedEyedGhost

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I just got back from Tenet. What a major disappointment, and all because Nolan can't mix sound to save his life. I caught one sentence in ten, maybe. By the end I just wanted to leave, and was hoping for a swift end. 

I saw Tenet last night, and I was listening through headphones via the radio on my phone, so I had pretty good audio.  (Drive-in movies FTW!)

My impression was that the sound is intentionally mixed in a particular way to indicate that one or more of the characters on screen are inverted.  Some of the dialogue was clearly spoken backwards by some of the characters, and their audio track inverted.  Some thing with footsteps: Neal in the opera house, for instance.  Also the driving sounds were clearly played in reverse during the post-robbery highway scenes.

I enjoyed the movie, and I thought that the backwards audio added to the inverted movement through time aspect of the plot and characterization.  But it did sound pretty weird.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I just got back from Tenet. What a major disappointment, and all because Nolan can't mix sound to save his life. I caught one sentence in ten, maybe. By the end I just wanted to leave, and was hoping for a swift end. 

Most people seem to assume it was a problem with the cinema they went to. However seems pretty much everyone has the same complaint about the sound it seems the awful quality was by design 

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I saw Tenet last night, and I was listening through headphones via the radio on my phone, so I had pretty good audio.  (Drive-in movies FTW!)

My impression was that the sound is intentionally mixed in a particular way to indicate that one or more of the characters on screen are inverted.  Some of the dialogue was clearly spoken backwards by some of the characters, and their audio track inverted.  Some thing with footsteps: Neal in the opera house, for instance.  Also the driving sounds were clearly played in reverse during the post-robbery highway scenes.

I enjoyed the movie, and I thought that the backwards audio added to the inverted movement through time aspect of the plot and characterization.  But it did sound pretty weird.

To demonstrate how bad the sound was, I can tell you that I'm not sure who Neal is. Probably Pattinson, but I kept hearing Neo. In fact, I don't know the names of most characters. For the protagonist, I kept thinking of him as Denzel's son. I ended caring very little about the characters. The movie is a masterpiece of editing, solid cinematography, and I didn't hate the score, but without being able to follow so many critical pieces of dialogue I could not enjoy the story. Btw, I feel the movie is essentially a time-bending, convoluted Bond movie.

On 9/4/2020 at 12:30 PM, hauberk said:

We did manage to conclude that there were definite contenders for most wrong.

One of the things that I find interesting about the show is that parts of it feel like the series really sprung from Barney Stinson's take on Karate Kid in How I Met Your Mother.  

Right, and the ones most wrong are 

Spoiler

Also the same ones who are with the secret Cobra Kai training in the very end

13 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

To demonstrate how bad the sound was, I can tell you that I'm not sure who Neal is. Probably Pattinson, but I kept hearing Neo. In fact, I don't know the names of most characters. For the protagonist, I kept thinking of him as Denzel's son. I ended caring very little about the characters. The movie is a masterpiece of editing, solid cinematography, and I didn't hate the score, but without being able to follow so many critical pieces of dialogue I could not enjoy the story. Btw, I feel the movie is essentially a time-bending, convoluted Bond movie.

I think that’s actually the intent, though maybe not convoluted. But it is. Generally speaking I really enjoyed Tenet but the plot was totally bonkers. 

I've finished my re-watch/new watch of Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I had stopped watching this when it aired around the start of season 5, but now I am caught up, and glad it's getting an eight season. I actually think season 5 may be its best, as it had a few really strong episodes. 

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

....wait don't you have a long list of classic movies you've never seen?

One of the few pluses from the pandemic was banging out a number of them. Same goes for all time great albums you've never listened to.

13 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Tenet sounds like Nolan at his absolute worst. Def skipping that one till I can watch with subtitles 

Well, I think from a storytelling perspective, Nolan has become almost entirely "high concept" at this point. And he needs to fix his sound mixing because, you know, making out dialogue is kinda important. Now, I love Interstellar but it has its flaws and detractors. But I can hear all the dialogue. And it has Evil Matt Damon which I kinda love. 

But you have to go back to The Prestige and Batman Begins to find anything that feels clear and tightly written. Especially the former, which is one of my favourite movies. If The Dark Knight Rises might be something of a mess, it's a great comic book movie and - thanks to feedback from the disastrous extended trailer - you can hear all of Bane's wonderfully over-the-top dialogue. On the other hand, I'm not sure I have much desire to go back and watch Dunkirk or Inception. Anyway, I suppose I don't have to like all or any of Nolan's movies, but Tenet definitely exemplifies all his strengths (spectacle, set pieces, production design) and weakness (lately, story, sound). 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

....wait don't you have a long list of classic movies you've never seen?

Sadly I don't have the bandwidth to watch these classic movies right now.  I just want something to unwind that is also fun and edgy and interesting to watch and just a teensy-weensy addictive.  Like the Boys...

37 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Sadly I don't have the bandwidth to watch these classic movies right now.  I just want something to unwind that is also fun and edgy and interesting to watch and just a teensy-weensy addictive.  Like the Boys...

You know what I have a lot of DVDs that I am never going to use again. If you want I could mail you the whole set packed tight sans cases, or a select few with the cases. I'm really never going to use them or be bothered to sell them. 

I also think I have a binder full of movies I copied off Netflix back when they mailed you the DVD. It's funny I remember thinking "I'm beating the system!" and now the system just takes $9.99 each month and I don't even notice. 

Edit: also mail based Netflix had EVERYTHING.

I watched Apocalypse now recently after seeing it talked about so much. Still had the same feeling as before. Decent movie, seems like it tries really hard to be edgy? Not sure if that is the right word for what I am feeling, maybe artsy is closer?

Also watched Flags of our fathers, story about the people who raised the American flag over Iwo Jima. Also a decent movie but not one I will watch again.

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Decent movie, seems like it tries really hard to be edgy? Not sure if that is the right word for what I am feeling, maybe artsy is closer?

I don't know the word you mean but I know exactly your meaning. Pretty sure I agree with you too. I remember rolling my eyes lot during the "meaningfully symbolic" animal slaughter at the end. 

The funny thing is the director's cut just makes things worse, and you almost get the impression the filming difficulties made the movie. Especially when it comes to Kurtz. 

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

I watched Apocalypse now recently after seeing it talked about so much. Still had the same feeling as before. Decent movie, seems like it tries really hard to be edgy? Not sure if that is the right word for what I am feeling, maybe artsy is closer?

Also watched Flags of our fathers, story about the people who raised the American flag over Iwo Jima. Also a decent movie but not one I will watch again.

I see your "edgy" and I raise with a "pretentious" 

Aguirre: Der Zorn Gottes did it earlier and better.

Forgot to mention that I watched Seth Rogen's An American Pickle yesterday. Bad decision, but in my defense I was heavily sleep deprived and in need for something lowbrow. That being said, rather unpleasantly surprised by how lazy this was. I might have chuckled once or so.

I believe this one will go down in history as Seth Rogen's having his own Adam Sandler moment. He made a few amusing flicks over the years and now he has just decided to lay back, relax and phone it in. Minimal effort, but he'll still make money. That's at least how this felt like. 

2 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I believe this one will go down in history as Seth Rogen's having his own Adam Sandler moment. He made a few amusing flicks over the years and now he has just decided to lay back, relax and phone it in. Minimal effort, but he'll still make money. That's at least how this felt like. 

Except Seth Rogen is (probably) never going to have a Punch Drunk Love or Uncut Gems where he actually shows off his acting chops...

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Except Seth Rogen is (probably) never going to have a Punch Drunk Love or Uncut Gems where he actually shows off his acting chops...

Haven't seen either of those, so I'll take your word for it! Seth Rogen is now very close to Sandler's Grown Ups phase of movies. Although perhaps he's already in it as Rogen playing himself and his pickled ancestor is awfully reminiscent of Sandler playing Jack and Jill.

Archived