Watch, Watched, Watching: I missed the last thread?

RedEyedGhost

6 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country. First episode was exhilarating, second ep was underwhelming and confusing.

Agreed. I’ve dialed down my expectations a little after the second ep.

I watched Bloodshot since it’s on movie channels now. Not as horrible as I was expecting. Certainly not good but I’ve seen way worse dumb-action movies. It would’ve helped if it was rated R though and just went completely nuts.

Peninsula, the sequel to Train to Busan, opened last week so I checked it out. What a disappointment. It starts out OK but is completely ruined by some terribly dated game play CGI and the unnecessary levity of a couple characters.

If you enjoyed Train to Busan do yourself a favour and avoid Peninsula. I should have re-watched Tenet.

Saw the first episode of The Great and of all the Catherine the Great shows I think it’s probably going to be the greatest. Very much has a ‘The Favourite’ vibe, understandably, but it is more noticeably more modern and funnier. 

I took up a Starzplay trial just to watch it so have to rush to get through this week. There is also Doom Patrol on there too which I wanted to finish, doubt I will have time. 

23 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Appreciating MJ's music and talent exists in its own realm when discussing separating the artist from the art. I'm not sure he ever fully developed mentally, and thus kind of always existed in a state of childhood. Many around him have flatly stated that he had next to no ability to connect with adults. He may have genuinely not understood why his behavior was wrong (in a recent interview his lawyer said he believes the accusers in the doc from last year).

Yeah no, that's just letting him off the hook way too easily. If he existed in a state of childhood (big "if" to open on) than that's certainly a mitigating factor, but that is ultimately no excuse for being a pedo. 

Also "Many around him have flatly stated that he had next to no ability to connect with adults." These "many" are the same people who covered up for his child-molesting behavior, they definitely have skin in the game when it comes to MJ's public perception. Big difference for them if he was an active predator cognizant of his despicable behavior or a Peter Pan syndrome victim who just so happened to be a pedo on the side. 

18 hours ago, williamjm said:

If we're including the entire history of cinema then something like Triumph of the Will should be hard to beat.

Damn it, that was the joke I wanted to make :crying:

Can I still submit Birth of a Nation as a contender (you choose which version :p)

12 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country. First episode was exhilarating, second ep was underwhelming and confusing.

Totally agree, let's hope the next episode is a return to form.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

Yes, amazing.  

When the ape discovers that he can bash other creatures....very special moment in film history for me.  

1968 was a great cinematic year for apes with both 2001 and Planet of the Apes coming out.

57 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Yeah no, that's just letting him off the hook way too easily. If he existed in a state of childhood (big "if" to open on) than that's certainly a mitigating factor, but that is ultimately no excuse for being a pedo. 

I wasn't letting him off the hook, just highlighting how strange his particular situation was, assuming he was guilty (I think he was).

Also "Many around him have flatly stated that he had next to no ability to connect with adults." These "many" are the same people who covered up for his child-molesting behavior, they definitely have skin in the game when it comes to MJ's public perception. Big difference for them if he was an active predator cognizant of his despicable behavior or a Peter Pan syndrome victim who just so happened to be a pedo on the side. 

There's certainly a lot of truth to this, but his friends and family also said as much. He was just an all around strange dude, even if he was innocent. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I don't know the stats, but plenty of abusers are almost certainly abusers because they themselves were abused as children.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't be in prison.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Can I still submit Birth of a Nation as a contender

Yeah I thought of both that and Triumph when the question was raised but didn't say it cuz it seemed too easy.

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bingo.

Well, sorry I missed the joke, but it's pretty lame.  You could just as easily bring up Clue if that's your comparison.

Watched S1 of Cobra Kai this weekend, pretty damn fun for someone who was 12 when The Karate Kid came out. Loved the call backs to the 80's and the original film flashbacks.

Spoiler

The season plot was pretty well telegraphed but still enjoyable enough. The fact that they made sure to let us know, that they knew were ripping off the original made it work..."ladies and gentlemen, Daniel Larusso has agreed to coach!!!!!" laughed pretty good at that one. Also the facebook stalking, to real.

I am sure I will blow through S2 this week easily.

It helps to be a bit nostalgic about The Karate Kid but Cobra Kai's just quite good on it's own merits. I'm just starting the second season myself.

I also just started watching I'll Be Gone in the Dark. It's quite interesting but there are some slightly jarring tonal shifts between descriptions of the Golden State Killer's horrific crimes and Patton Oswalt fondly remembering cute stories about his wife.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Saw the first episode of The Great and of all the Catherine the Great shows I think it’s probably going to be the greatest. Very much has a ‘The Favourite’ vibe, understandably, but it is more noticeably more modern and funnier. 

Near-universal praise on this board, sounds like. I streamed it over a few weeks when visiting my parents, and all three of us loved it. One week I happened to re-watch my beloved Mad Max: Fury Road for the umpteenth time. So fun to see Hoult be childlike and charming in two very different  roles. Fanning absolutely made the show, though. She was tremendous.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well, sorry I missed the joke, but it's pretty lame.  You could just as easily bring up Clue if that's your comparison.

What’s the Clue reference?

And yeah, it would be silly to compare ToD to 2001. I’m not even sure if the former is a good movie. Fun, for sure, but good may be a stretch.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

It helps to be a bit nostalgic about The Karate Kid but Cobra Kai's just quite good on it's own merits. I'm just starting the second season myself

I watched a couple of episodes of Cobra Kai, and it forced me to go back to watching Karate Kid again. The original is a movie I must have seen a thousand times as a kid, rewatching the tournament basically on repeat until my VHS wore out. 

Going back and watching it again I think it holds up actually. Sure it is cheesy as hell at times, there are some laughably over the top moments and Daniel is seriously terrible at Karate. But it has something special, it's incredibly uplifting and wears its heart on its sleeve without shame. Ralph Macchio was also brilliant in it. He gives off this earthy, real performance which is almost mumblecore at times, he doesn't look polished at all and it is great. 

So watching Cobra Kai is a weird experience, in a lot of ways it feels like it follows the original quite well and it doesn't jar too much. It also doesn't really capture that tone of the the 80's movie in the same way, it has a quality of a modern tv show, with an obvious small budget. It feels a little more polished, and its script feels a little more produced and manufactured. 

I still enjoy it for what it is, I love that they can show these characters so far into their lives and what they have done (neither main characters are fantastic leads unfortunately.. and Macchio never really recaptured his youthful charm .. I suspect he's wearing a piece too)

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

neither main characters are fantastic leads unfortunately.. and Macchio never really recaptured his youthful charm .

I'm not sure about that. Macchio's fine, he's not great but he's not phoning it in. I think Zabka's really good though.

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

So watching Cobra Kai is a weird experience, in a lot of ways it feels like it follows the original quite well and it doesn't jar too much. It also doesn't really capture that tone of the the 80's movie in the same way

I think that's the point. It follows on from a lot of the themes of the original film but it builds on them well with a pretty thoughtful exploration of things like toxic masculinity etc. As I said it's surprisingly good for a tv spin off of a film from 1984.

5 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm not sure about that. Macchio's fine, he's not great but he's not phoning it in. I think Zabka's really good though.

I think they are both pretty limited in the acting stakes. Johnny was never a good actor, but he was a decent martial artist and looked mean. I think he has improved over the years and does a reasonable job, but its passable more than anything. Macchio, yeah he's fine, it's just a bit disappointing he never really went anywhere because I think he's very good in Karate Kid, very natural. 

7 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think that's the point. It follows on from a lot of the themes of the original film but it builds on them well with a pretty thoughtful exploration of things like toxic masculinity etc. As I said it's surprisingly good for a tv spin off of a film from 1984.

You're right, it is pretty good. I'm not knocking it. It just hit home how different tv and movies are these days. I couldn't imagine a movie being made now that took itself so seriously and had 'you're the best around!!' in it in a non ironic way. I feel quite sad about that.

Speaking of 80s nostalgia, I watched Bill and Ted Face the Music last night, and enjoyed every second of it. It’s not, strictly speaking, a good movie, but there’re still very few things in this world more wonderful than spending a little time with Bill S. Preston, Esq. and Ted Theodore Logan.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

What’s the Clue reference?

Just FYI, this totally made me want to watch Clue and now I'm going to when I finish this post.  Fucking love that movie.

Archived