Watch, Watched, Watching: I missed the last thread?

RedEyedGhost

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Just FYI, this totally made me want to watch Clue and now I'm going to when I finish this post.  Fucking love that movie.

It is one of those films where you get the impression everybody making it was really enjoying themselves. I don't know what sort of lunacy made someone come up with the idea of adapting a board game as a comedy, but it worked.

5 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I don't know what sort of lunacy made someone come up with the idea of adapting a board game as a comedy, but it worked.

It definitely was quite inspired.  And how they used the setting to subvert and satirize dominant attitudes from communism to homosexuals is lots of fun.

It's one of my all time favorite movies. When I heard that Rian Johnson was planning a modern take on Clue - paraphrasing, but some phrasing similar to that - I had extremely unrealistic expectations for Knives Out. And, to my satisfaction, it was merely Really Good, which sufficed.

I consider Clue to be one of the most re-watchable movies I've seen. Each actor has loads of subtle bits throughout the movie that are easy to miss but brilliant with all the jokes flying about.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

Yeah I thought of both that and Triumph when the question was raised but didn't say it cuz it seemed too easy.

Ah, but a true master hides in the simplicity:

21 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Can I still submit Birth of a Nation as a contender (you choose which version :p)

(obviously the first is more despicable than the second, but there are those rape charges against the director of the second one I was riffing on. Include the opposite political leanings of the two films and you have a perfect cluster fuck)

20 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't know the stats, but plenty of abusers are almost certainly abusers because they themselves were abused as children.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't be in prison.

:agree:

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wasn't letting him off the hook, just highlighting how strange his particular situation was, assuming he was guilty (I think he was).

There's certainly a lot of truth to this, but his friends and family also said as much. He was just an all around strange dude, even if he was innocent. 

Well, his family and friends are the one profiting of his estate so makes sense for them to deny it. He was the meal ticket for them and you know what they say about the hand that feeds you (even after they die), you don't admit to them being pedophiles. 

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I still enjoy it for what it is, I love that they can show these characters so far into their lives and what they have done (neither main characters are fantastic leads unfortunately.. and Macchio never really recaptured his youthful charm .. I suspect he's wearing a piece too)

Daniel LaRusso be packing? I guess he has just as much right to the Second Amendment as the rest of you cooks :P

17 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I'm not sure about that. Macchio's fine, he's not great but he's not phoning it in. I think Zabka's really good though.

I think that's the point. It follows on from a lot of the themes of the original film but it builds on them well with a pretty thoughtful exploration of things like toxic masculinity etc. As I said it's surprisingly good for a tv spin off of a film from 1984.

Yeah agree on both counts. I don't have any special nostalgia about the eighties version, but I think Cobra Kai is really clever. One of the best things on tv the past couple of years.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Well, his family and friends are the one profiting of his estate so makes sense for them to deny it. He was the meal ticket for them and you know what they say about the hand that feeds you (even after they die), you don't admit to them being pedophiles. 

That's certainly a fair critique, but I've heard people close to him who have no financial incentive say the same things.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Yeah agree on both counts. I don't have any special nostalgia about the eighties version, but I think Cobra Kai is really clever. One of the best things on tv the past couple of years.

Unfortunately so far S2 doesn't seem to have that same charm that S1 had. I'm halfway through it and it seems to be more drama and taking itself more seriously than S1 did.

Spoiler

Johnny went from a beat down Firebird to a fixed up Firebird thanks to a run in with a Larusso. Then to a nice Challenger, again due to a run in with a Larusso. He has gone from a near homeless drunk to a owner of a thriving business since Larusso came back into his life. Then there is Daniel, who now has reconnected with Mr Miyagi and karate since running in with Lawrence...the are better together than apart and you'd think they would figure that out. Of course there are still 5 more episodes for that to happen.

My guess is old Sensei takes Hawk and some others and breaks away sort of and Johnny and his top 2 will join Daniels group sort of?? Reunite with his son, bf and gf, the two bff's all together again.

Still entertaining enough that I plan to have it finished in the next day or two.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:06 PM, RumHam said:

Watched Class Action Park a documentary about a notoriously dangerous Jersey waterpark that my brother in law used to work at. It was kinda bad. Maybe because I'd heard a lot of the stories before, but it was also really jarring to go from a bunch of people reminiscing about how the park was crazy dangerous but fun to interviews with the family of one of the people who died. 

This was absolutely insane. I grew up in the 80’s/90’s and I can’t even imagine a place like that where I lived. 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

This was absolutely insane. I grew up in the 80’s/90’s and I can’t even imagine a place like that where I lived. 

It is a crazy story I just thought the documentary was lacking a bit and suffered from some tonal whiplash. 

Just saw that AP Bio's third season starts (or maybe drops in its entirety? I can't tell) on Peacock tomorrow. I hope they fixed the thing where you couldn't watch over an HDMI cable. That show really grew on me. 

Also finished Cobra Kai.  I really enjoyed it, especially the season 2 road trip.  The season finale was more than a little over the top.  It did generate some nice discussion with my son about who was less in the wrong.  No satisfactory conclusions were reached.  

Saw Lovecraft Country episode 3. Better than the second outing but it's still not great. The background season plot is boring and the CGI in this show is absolutely god awful. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

First three eps of Raised by Wolves premiere on HBO tonight!

three :o 

Archived