US Politics: Birthing Again

Tywin Manderly

3 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

They should both wear tan suits.

And she could fashion a nice covid hijab, matching of course.

Seriously Trump is so out of touch with the electorate right now I think another round of his "birtherisms" will actually just serve to bury him even more. 

We are simply witnessing a sitting Pres that has worn out his welcome, he's become a caricature of a McCarthy type figure at this point.

It always had to end like this, a pathetic creature finally unmasked.

Found this interesting:

Discontent with Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is on the rise in the House, as Republicans increasingly fearful of a loss by President Donald Trump on Election Day gear up for an intraparty war over the future of the GOP.

A cluster of GOP lawmakers is starting to privately question whether the California Republican is putting loyalty to the president over the good of the conference. And there is a small group of members discussing whether someone should challenge him for minority leader if Trump is defeated Nov. 3.

The matter bubbled to the surface this week with the primary election of Marjorie Taylor Greene, a fringe House candidate in Georgia who espouses the QAnon conspiracy theory and has made numerous racist comments. Multiple Republicans implored McCarthy to help defeat her by supporting her primary opponent. But McCarthy refused, phoning the candidate in an apparent peace accord before the primary, while Trump embraced her on Twitter this week as a "future Republican Star."

The juxtaposition of the GOP eating their own leadership in the House compared to the extraordinary stability of the Dems since Pelosi took over 17 years ago is quite fascinating.  Not sure what it means exactly, but still.

I'm no lawyer, but this birtherism argument looks like it opens a slippery slope to where most Americans aren't legal citizens. My birth is based solely on having been born here, same with my parents, grandparents, etc. But if that's no longer enough to qualify in itself...

5 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

My birth is based solely on having been born here, same with my parents, grandparents, etc.

Not to get too pedantic, but I'm pretty sure your birth was based off of something entirely different.  :P  Anyway, Trump questioning the qualifications of his opponents to run for president/VP has no practical implications anyone needs to worry about.  Just his political go-too for anyone that's darker than him.  I assume this is based on jealousy they can tan without looking like he just got radioactive treatment.

Just now, DMC said:

Not to get too pedantic, but I'm pretty sure your birth was based off of something entirely different.  :P  Anyway, Trump questioning the qualifications of his opponents to run for president/VP has no practical implications anyone needs to worry about.  Just his political go-too for anyone that's darker than him.  I assume this is based on jealousy they can tan without looking like he just got radioactive treatment.

Hehe ;)

Totally agree. I admit that I just want to see Republican heads explode when the same argument questions their own citizenship.

It's actually not funny, because in Republican run states many black people are being told to prove they are Americans by producing a birth certificate, suggesting they are some kind of illegal immigrant if they can't. It's all part of the same right-wing movement to disenfranchise citizens. I gather this is a real problem for poor black people, because their parents may not have registered their births. It's not a question poor white people are asked, apparently.

19 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It's actually not funny, because in Republican run states many black people are being told to prove they are Americans by producing a birth certificate, suggesting they are some kind of illegal immigrant if they can't.

This is of course a huge ass problem, but it's been a problem for a long time and frankly preceded Trump.  I view that as distinct from his "birther" type shit of questioning the qualifications for office of his political enemies, but YMMV.

I would like to apologize to Fury and to other members readers of the thread. I acted out of turn yesterday, and I'm sorry for that. I don't like Fury, she doesn't like me. I honestly don't remember what exactly our original beef may have been, but that's beside the point and in further honesty I probably antagonized the fuck out of her.  I make a lot of enemies. Waddaya gonna do?

To Fury, if you read this, I'm sorry. I don't think much of you or many of your argumentative tactics, but I also do not want to demean or disparage you in any way that has to do with your ethnicity. That's wrong. You're right, I did a little Ben Shapiro bit there. I wanted to get a cheap rise out of you, and lessened myself for the effort. I'm sorry. I genuinely apologize for engaging you as I did, and with just a little reflection I can see why and how I crossed the line from personal disagreement (admittedly with a flair towards the dramatic) and frothing at the mouth bitch. My little antagonistic shtick was way out of bounds regarding the subject at hand, and I shouldn't have treated things that are immediate and important to you like they are irrelevant just because I'm full of poison. I shouldn't have done that, and I'm sorry. And I want to be clear in my apology, doing a Shapiro bit at you was racist. I didn't for one second think about that while I was doing it, but that's being ignorant. I wanted to hurt you and didn't stop to think how the tool I was deploying might look to someone else, someone to whom Shapiro and his ilk are a more immediate concern. That's not just fucked up, it's lazy. For my part I would only like you to know that I don't like you or the way you present your arguments, and I somehow expect that feeling is mutual, but I was in the wrong yesterday and I'm sorry for that.

The rest of you can take it for what it is or however you prefer.

I know Dems don't want to hear this, but part of the voter rights movement has to include getting people the proper verification (birth certificates, driver's licenses, social security cards, addresses, whatever) to make sure they can't be obstructed from voting.

Hoping that one day Republicans will suddenly see the light and stop using these tactics is absurd. Just going to have to buckle down and make the tactic irrelevant.

And this is horrible PR that just feeds their base rocket fuel. Most Republicans live in a bubble where documentation isn't an issue so to them this argument just registers as blatant avocation of voter fraud which is used as a rationalization for them committing it. There's no good way to spin letting people vote without verifying who they are even it's all just voter suppression and invalid.

32 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Coming across the news ticker that 671 mail processing machines are being removed from high volume locations. Who could ever guess why?

Those 671 machines have the capacity to sort 21.4 million pieces of paper mail per hour. I don't know what the total sorting capacity of USPS, but that seems like a sizable drop in capacity.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Coming across the news ticker that 671 mail processing machines are being removed from high volume locations. Who could ever guess why?

Yeah :/

The removal of old style mailboxes with the drawer instead of the slot my not have been as big a deal as some made it out to be, but the mail sorting machines are different. 

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I would like to apologize to Fury and to other members readers of the thread. I acted out of turn yesterday, and I'm sorry for that. I don't like Fury, she doesn't like me. I honestly don't remember what exactly our original beef may have been, but that's beside the point and in further honesty I probably antagonized the fuck out of her.  I make a lot of enemies. Waddaya gonna do?

To Fury, if you read this, I'm sorry. I don't think much of you or many of your argumentative tactics, but I also do not want to demean or disparage you in any way that has to do with your ethnicity. That's wrong. You're right, I did a little Ben Shapiro bit there. I wanted to get a cheap rise out of you, and lessened myself for the effort. I'm sorry. I genuinely apologize for engaging you as I did, and with just a little reflection I can see why and how I crossed the line from personal disagreement (admittedly with a flair towards the dramatic) and frothing at the mouth bitch. My little antagonistic shtick was way out of bounds regarding the subject at hand, and I shouldn't have treated things that are immediate and important to you like they are irrelevant just because I'm full of poison. I shouldn't have done that, and I'm sorry. And I want to be clear in my apology, doing a Shapiro bit at you was racist. I didn't for one second think about that while I was doing it, but that's being ignorant. I wanted to hurt you and didn't stop to think how the tool I was deploying might look to someone else, someone to whom Shapiro and his ilk are a more immediate concern. That's not just fucked up, it's lazy. For my part I would only like you to know that I don't like you or the way you present your arguments, and I somehow expect that feeling is mutual, but I was in the wrong yesterday and I'm sorry for that.

The rest of you can take it for what it is or however you prefer.

I was a little shocked on Kay's behalf, but it's not my place to speak further on that. And, you didn't do anything to me besides call me dumb, which I can accept. I'm so dumb it didn't even register until a later reread of the sequence.

Lots of people don't, and while they may or may not be more egocentric than the individuals that simply won't, that you can apologize [even to someone with whom you share a mutual dislike] is a mark in your favor, imo.

39 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Those 671 machines have the capacity to sort 21.4 million pieces of paper mail per hour. I don't know what the total sorting capacity of USPS, but that seems like a sizable drop in capacity.

Archived