US Politics: Birthing Again

Tywin Manderly

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

You all aren't seeing the whole picture.  BOB Effin' Corker, Jeff Flake, Charlie Dent, Carlos Curbelo can get more time at the Dem Con than AOC.  That is wrong.  Just effin' wrong.

I agree it's very fucking wrong, but it's rather tangential to AOC making wise political decisions in her future.

Ya by all means gravely discuss with such gravitas that AOC really shouldna oughtna even think of the presidency, let her, who has done more electrify the votership than these DNC jerkoffs, speak, maybe, sometime, for 30 seconds.

But give THESE PEOPLE STAR TIME AND POSITION, REPUBLICANS ALL OF THEM.  How is that gonna work out for ya Dems do ya think?

On Monday night, with the start of the Democratic convention, that trend will be highlighted with the appearance of familiar Republicans — former New Jersey governor and director of the Environmental Protection Agency Christine Todd Whitman, former Senate candidate Meg Whitman, former Staten Island congresswoman (and keynoter at the Republicans’ 1996 convention) Susan Molinari and former Ohio governor John Kasich. The number of defectors from the other party appearing at a national convention must be a record of some sort. Trump and the party entirely under his sway have done a bang-up job of alienating real rule-of-law, pro-environment, anti-Russia, pro-legal immigration, pro-free trade and pro-democracy (little “d”) Republicans.

Former campaign aides call for Bloomberg to be pulled from DNC program

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/politics/bloomberg-staffers-letter-dnc/index.html

(CNN)A group of former staffers to Michael Bloomberg's presidential campaign are calling on Democratic National Committee Chair Tom Perez to remove him from the slate of Democratic convention speakers, using an open letter to lambast the former New York mayor's treatment of his campaign staff.

Since Bloomberg's failed presidential campaign ended, a series of staffers have sued the billionaire politician, alleging that they were promised jobs on the campaign would be guaranteed through November. But, these staffers say, when Bloomberg's campaign ended after Super Tuesday, those promises were not fulfilled for numerous staffers and scores of people were terminated and encouraged to apply to jobs at the DNC, which had received a transfer of $18 million from the Bloomberg campaign to fund battleground efforts.
The staffers, in their letter to Perez, say that while they understand the need for a big tent Democratic Party, they "do not believe that there is a place on the convention stage for people like Mike Bloomberg who make a mockery of workers' rights -- a fundamental value that unites all Democrats."

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But give THESE PEOPLE STAR TIME AND POSITION, REPUBLICANS ALL OF THEM.  How is that gonna work out for ya Dems do ya think?

I think highlighting how many major (former) GOP members have defected at the DNC is a good idea politically.  But so, too, is emphasizing AOC - even more so.  Been saying that the whole time.

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Ya by all means gravely discuss with such gravitas that AOC really shouldna oughtna even think of the presidency, let her, who has done more electrify the votership than these DNC jerkoffs, speak, maybe, sometime, for 30 seconds.

It's almost certainly going to work out well. The people who are excited by AOC tend to really, really dislike Trump and it's hard to see them not voting for Biden (or any Democrat, really) regardless of what happens at the convention. What the DNC is trying to do is expand beyond those people and inviting pro-Biden Republicans to speak is a good way to do that.

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

It's almost certainly going to work out well. The people who are excited by AOC tend to really, really dislike Trump and it's hard to see them not voting for Biden (or any Democrat, really) regardless of what happens at the convention. What the DNC is trying to do is expand beyond those people and inviting pro-Biden Republicans to speak is a good way to do that.

honestly don't think that they are a large enough constituency to affect an election. I'd be willing to be there probably aren't much more than 100,000 voters who will be swayed by the presence of these ghouls. Of course if Biden loses all we are going to hear about is how it was all Bernie's fault and Bernie voters didn't vote for Biden while ignoring that they are quite clearly signaling that they think that disaffected Republicans are what is going to win the day.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Heh, yeah, right after I posted I thought of the Cubs giving up Gleyber Torres for 3 months of Aroldis Chapman as also I good analogy.  And of course, almost every Cubs fan will tell you that was worth it.  But, hopefully, neither AOC nor the Democrats will be as desperate as Cubs fans.

I enjoy baseball - or basketball or football - analogies as well.

I think A-Rod is a better analogy. He was a star in Seattle (the House), then he went to Texas (the Presidency) for a shit load of money (presidential power) where he did some good shit but then the Rangers decided he wasn't worth it (corporate establishment reasserts itself) and he got shipped to New York to make even more money (post presidential speaking tour) where he was never truly accepted and had to play out of position because of an overrated turd that the establishment like more due to east coast bias.

Justice for A-Rod

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

I think A-Rod is a better analogy. He was a star in Seattle (the House), then he went to Texas (the Presidency) for a shit load of money (presidential power) where he did some good shit but then got shipped to New York to make even more money (post presidential speaking tour) where he was never truly accepted and had to play out of position because of an overrated turd.

Oh c'mon.  Texas is the Senate, the Yanks are definitely the presidency.  He just had to compromise with an overrated turd in order to build a coalition, like all presidents have to in order to get things done.  His post presidency was his career post-suspension.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Oh c'mon.  Texas is the Senate, the Yanks are definitely the presidency.  He just had to compromise with an overrated turd in order to build a coalition, like all presidents have to in order to get things done.  His post presidency was his career post-suspension.

OK, I'm now officially confused about what thread I'm in.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Nah, in this analogy Yankees are still the old folks home of 2012-2015 where everyone goes when they sell out their convictions and just want that sweet sweet wall street money.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

You all aren't seeing the whole picture.  It's not about AOC running in 2024 or when the eff.

It's about shyte like Bob Effin' Corker, Jeff Flake, Charlie Dent, Carlos Curbelo can get more time and be given more attention and welcome at the Dem Con than AOC.  That is wrong.  Just effin' wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/17/familiar-republicans-join-team-biden/?

I'd say it's pretty clear which side of the political aisle Democratic leadership prefers (it's not the left side). I mean Jeff Flake? He claimed to be anti Trump but aside from sad faces, he didn't do anything.

8 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

This is built on fallacious premises.  Why do you get to just cherrypick one person you feel isn't ready to be president in that age group and then say everyone else is [also not ready?].  Your issue with him isn't even his age, it's that he struggled to run a small city. 

Same goes for pointing out that Macron is unpopular.  There are plenty of unpopular older elected statesmen.  I don't think AOC would do any worse than most of the chumps who have been US President.

Maybe you should lobby to change the minimum age for the president to 65.

How did I cherry pick? I literally used the only modern example cited and a comparable American politician. 

And no, I am not. I think the sweet spot is what @Maithanet posted, someone in their mid 40's to mid 50's. Someone in their mid 30's likely lacks the life experiences that will greatly benefit a hypothetical president, whereas some in the age range probably has had enough of them while also not being too old. I cringe when I listen to Senate committee hearings with CEO's and leaders of tech giants, and they don't even seem to understand the basics of what these people do. AOC is an exceptional individual, but I highly doubt she'd be ready to handle the job in four years, and I hope if asked she would say as much. It would actually be a good sign for future prospects down the line, because on of the keys in life is admitting that you understand what you don't know and are okay with that.

Also, why does everyone seem to think she'd win in this hypothetical? She's the biggest rising star on the far left, but I'm not sure if she would win a national election, especially at such a young age. And she doesn't need to be president to have a monster impact on American politics for the next several decades.

11 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

Nah, in this analogy Yankees are still the old folks home of 2012-2015 where everyone goes when they sell out their convictions and just want that sweet sweet wall street money.

Last time I checked, 2009 was the only time ARod won a ring.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Heh, yeah, right after I posted I thought of the Cubs giving up Gleyber Torres for 3 months of Aroldis Chapman as also I good analogy.  And of course, almost every Cubs fan will tell you that was worth it.  But, hopefully, neither AOC nor the Democrats will be as desperate as Cubs fans.

I enjoy baseball - or basketball or football - analogies as well.

Friendly reminder that @Jaxom 1974 said he's take a Cubs WS win in exchange for a Trump presidency.

Those fans are thirsty AF. 

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Does this make J-Lo his version of Carter's Habitats for Humanity? Because she's sure shined up his post-presidency period. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'd think that's him compromising to be Veep despite being the clearly better player rather than compromising to be president. 

Okay...

So...AOC has been granted a single minute of speaking time at the Democratic Convention, while defecting republicans are being greeted with open arms.

However, AOC remains highly popular.  Suppose, just suppose, she were to give a speech of her own 'off campus' a block or tw away or even in  the parking lot during this time frame, with lots of fans and reporters in attendance - and suppose said speech proved more popular, or at least as popular as anything said by any of the speakers at the official convention?  Feasible?  Democratic Party establishment reaction?  Especially if her speech only somewhat aligned with the official line?

Going back a little ways for something minor, but anyways...

On 8/15/2020 at 1:57 PM, Fragile Bird said:

All good responses, guys, but the situation I’m talking about is the comments section of Canadian media reports. Usually the stranger throwing around the phrase is an American throwing around the phrase TDS. Sneering back seems appropriate, though I might try some version “TDS doesn’t mean what you think it does”.

On some social media I've seen the retort that the real TDS is Total Devotion Syndrome, complete with memes of conservatives licking the boots of Trumps and/or fascists to show their complete obedience to the orange overlord. Take these two images, for example:

https://i.imgur.com/G0nloIA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MrECOfO.jpg

4 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Going back a little ways for something minor, but anyways...

On some social media I've seen the retort that the real TDS is Total Devotion Syndrome, complete with memes of conservatives licking the boots of Trumps and/or fascists to show their complete obedience to the orange overlord. Take these two images, for example:

https://i.imgur.com/G0nloIA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MrECOfO.jpg

Thanks! That TDS one is great and I’ve saved it for future use!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Friendly reminder that @Jaxom 1974 said he's take a Cubs WS win in exchange for a Trump presidency.

Those fans are thirsty AF. 

No one thought he'd make it this long!  Impeachment, death, quitting, all three...it was a gamble worth taking!

If you told me there'd be this out of control pandemic that this moron would make worse and cost well ove 160,000 lives?  You sure as hell know I'd've waited another 108 years instead...

10 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Suppose, just suppose, she were to give a speech of her own 'off campus' a block or tw away or even in  the parking lot during this time frame, with lots of fans and reporters in attendance - and suppose said speech proved more popular, or at least as popular as anything said by any of the speakers at the official convention?  Feasible?  Democratic Party establishment reaction?  Especially if her speech only somewhat aligned with the official line?

I don't know if AOC will be involved with it, but they are planning something very similar to what you're saying:

Bernie Sanders opens the week with his keynote address on Monday evening, dubbed "We the People" night by the DNC. Sanders will then hold a virtual town hall, apart from the convention, which will feature Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., fresh off her easy primary victory, along with progressive organizers and Joe Biden's director of progressive outreach. Sanders delegates also plan to hold a "shadow convention" outside the DNC.

Except, I don't know what you're talking about any fans nor reporters in attendance to anything - shadow convention or actual convention.

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

If you told me there'd be this out of control pandemic that this moron would make worse and cost well ove 160,000 lives?

You should have known Faust!

Archived