What aspects of GRR Martin's world would you fix if you could?

Tukata12

Just now, broken one said:

can anybody explain what lannisport is for?

Story convenience. You need to highlight the high and mighty status of Casterly rock by giving them a minor branch as well. Well, when even the Royces have one.... 

And it fits well into the story. For Myrcella's decoy and all other BS

1 hour ago, Loose Bolt said:

Lannisport is place for trades. Or there has to be places where people can produce, buy and sell things and it is much easier to do those near good harbor. Besides those places need "protection" from someone just to keep those places safe for traders and other burghers.

I know what port is for, I ask specifically for this one, why it is so big and rich. because it seems to me it is situated on wrong side of the continent.

16 hours ago, broken one said:

I know what port is for, I ask specifically for this one, why it is so big and rich. because it seems to me it is situated on wrong side of the continent.

It is economic nexus of Westerlands. Or it is only access of foreign trade for millions of people. Naturally assuming that Lannisters follow Mercantilism doctrine https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercantilism. Besides WL is very rich "kingdom" so there is huge motivation (greed) for traders to sail to Lannisport. So those huge potential profits would be reason why that city exists.

There should be more influence of Essos on Westeros politics. The Targaryens came from Essos, of course, but why isn't there more ongoing involvement? Shouldn't the Stormlands, for example, be far more influenced by what goes on in the Free Cities than by what happens in the North or even the Vale? 

14 hours ago, Groo said:

There should be more influence of Essos on Westeros politics. The Targaryens came from Essos, of course, but why isn't there more ongoing involvement? Shouldn't the Stormlands, for example, be far more influenced by what goes on in the Free Cities than by what happens in the North or even the Vale? 

Stormlands seems to be economically weak. Or they do not have any cities and in the serie we do not "see" many active harbors in area either. So almost certainly their direct trade with Essos should be minimal.

Besides we do not know were they even allowed to trade directly with Essos. Or it is possible that Iron Throne tried to control trade by making all foreign trade outside of very few harbors illegal and if none of those existed in SL there would not have been any legal trade with Essos. So it is possible that Stormlords could legally trade only in King's Landing. That would explain lack of cities and even major population centers in Stormlands. That would also make SL having minimal contacts with Essos.

On the other hands SL should also have minimal contacts with either North or Vale. Or both of them are very far from Storms End and under normal times both of them should be too busy just to take care of their own businesses.

Archived