Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vorspiel

Daenerys is the main character

Recommended Posts

I'm just watching 806 again, years and an emotional roller coaster later later (and still trying to perfect the end of a good guys  turns bad and destroys an Empire fantasy first novel) and I actually see far more in it than what I originally did.

She is 1 of 3 main characters of course - Dany, Jon and Tyrion. But she probably has the most sympathetic and bittersweet arc.

I just reheard Tyrion ask Jon about Jon being on dragon back and wondering whether Jon would have burned a city to the ground when he was pissed off.  Of course, Jon was never in the same position as Dany. He was never entitled, never really abused by an older brother, never physically weaker in an interpersonal relationship and never a woman. Jon had hardship in his life but not the same emotional trauma.

I still think D&D could have told it a lot better. At the same time, I think there is a valid story in there that is just rejected by modern politics and sensibilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Drogon burning the IT is one of the best scenes in the series and cinematic history - which would not have been possible without Dany's arc. It's very symbolic of a lot of shit that's wrong with the world ATM - I just think most modern people are too gutless to face it.

World need more Jons - I think that is GRRMs message.

Edited by ummester

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2020 at 7:55 AM, ummester said:

World need more Jons - I think that is GRRMs message.

I think the world needs all of the Starks, not just one by themselves.

Jon by himself enabled Dany to kill millions and trusted her instantly, like Sansa trusted Joffrey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think the world needs all of the Starks, not just one by themselves.

Jon by himself enabled Dany to kill millions and trusted her instantly, like Sansa trusted Joffrey.

Fair enough response - by the end of the tv series Sansa and Bran reached a kind of toughness. Arya was a bit dumb/cliche though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ummester said:

Fair enough response - by the end of the tv series Sansa and Bran reached a kind of toughness. Arya was a bit dumb/cliche though.

kick-ass girl who kills bad guy is built on a cliche, I mean how differently can you do action scenes these days? 

I think her trying to save people from the fires of King's Landing was admirable, and true to her character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2020 at 6:16 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

kick-ass girl who kills bad guy is built on a cliche, I mean how differently can you do action scenes these days? 

I think her trying to save people from the fires of King's Landing was admirable, and true to her character.

The KL thing was fine I guess - the NK thing was naff. 5 novels and 8 seasons of magical build up for a simple knife to the guts. that was dumb. What about the magical reason for the seasons and all that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 7:15 AM, ummester said:

The KL thing was fine I guess - the NK thing was naff. 5 novels and 8 seasons of magical build up for a simple knife to the guts. that was dumb. What about the magical reason for the seasons and all that?

Yeah the magical history was ignored, and made the world feel like a cheap snow globe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2021 at 6:01 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

Yeah the magical history was ignored, and made the world feel like a cheap snow globe.

Yea, the lack of magical explanation and address was the most offensive to me - it makes me feel Martin did not really have tight control of his world.

Look, i know D&D are dumb writers and cannot write well unless they adapt - but the way this show ended up also convinced me GRRM (who I believe is generally a smart writer) let his own creation get away from him.

It shits me, even now - so much potential - such a brilliant start. Its a sad fact of life that its far more easy to feel malice towards the things that let you down than the things you had limited investment or hope for from the get go. And for ASoIaF/GoTs - I had so much hope for something that should have become a greater modern mythology than LotRs or Star Wars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 4:14 AM, ummester said:

Yea, the lack of magical explanation and address was the most offensive to me - it makes me feel Martin did not really have tight control of his world.

Look, i know D&D are dumb writers and cannot write well unless they adapt - but the way this show ended up also convinced me GRRM (who I believe is generally a smart writer) let his own creation get away from him.

It shits me, even now - so much potential - such a brilliant start. Its a sad fact of life that its far more easy to feel malice towards the things that let you down than the things you had limited investment or hope for from the get go. And for ASoIaF/GoTs - I had so much hope for something that should have become a greater modern mythology than LotRs or Star Wars.

I understand the let down, that seems to have happened a lot with Hollywood franchises lately, and we thought GoT would be different. I was soooo disappointed by PJ's Hobbit as well; it ruined the magic of the original LOTR trilogy. But there's a limit to how emotional I will get about it.  I wasn't one of the types to sign that petition, because I truly don't care that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 6:29 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

I understand the let down, that seems to have happened a lot with Hollywood franchises lately, and we thought GoT would be different. I was soooo disappointed by PJ's Hobbit as well; it ruined the magic of the original LOTR trilogy. But there's a limit to how emotional I will get about it.  I wasn't one of the types to sign that petition, because I truly don't care that much.

Politics overriding art I think.

All art is somewhat political but, as the West collapses, art will be lost to political machinations. It's not too different to the Greeks striking the breasts and phalli of their statues  - just a little more politically subtle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...