Eggs in the Stepstones

Isobel Harper

Caraxes was a male dragon as far as people know. Could be he changed sexes at one point, but apparently there are no records about this particular dragon ever producing any eggs.

I used to get really excited about dragon eggs all over the place and certainly the Stepstones is as good a place as any, but wouldn't that leave the possibility open for pretty much anywhere any dragon hung out for an extended period of time to be a place for stone eggs?   I'm thinking Cannibal in the Vale mountains.  Oh great, the mountain clans could get dragons.  I knew there had to be a plan for taking over the Vale in all that military brilliance of Timmet son of Timmet.

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I used to get really excited about dragon eggs all over the place and certainly the Stepstones is as good a place as any, but wouldn't that leave the possibility open for pretty much anywhere any dragon hung out for an extended period of time to be a place for stone eggs?   I'm thinking Cannibal in the Vale mountains.  Oh great, the mountain clans could get dragons.  I knew there had to be a plan for taking over the Vale in all that military brilliance of Timmet son of Timmet.

There are many possibilities for new dragon eggs. 

Stepstones - Unlikely but possible. 

Vale mountain clans - not Cannibal @Curled Fingerbut Sheepstealer and Nettles. Remember the Painted Dogs and now Burned Men? Will be great to see Timett on a dragon. Wait, we have Sansa with a drop of dragon blood in the Vale. 

Bloodraven’s dragon egg in the Red fork or in the crypts of Winterfell. 

And Alyssane, silverwing and the Nightfort

And many which escape my memory 

Well, dragon eggs are valuable, so any hidden caches would likely have been sought out and found just as gold is. Even after they were stopped hatching, the Targaryens routinely handed them out to their children. As they're symbols of status and wealth it wouldn't surprise me if some of the richer nobles on either side of the Narrow Sea had one sitting in their keeps showing everyone how rich and wonderful they are. Chances are the Lannisters don't though, or Tyrion would've certainly mentioned it with his dragon fascination. 

15 minutes ago, R2D said:

Maybe Loras found an egg in Dragonstone and he's teamed up (read: hooked up) with Aurane Waters. Aurane is the pirate king mentioned in The Winds of Winter.

Between the whole stone dragon thing and needing money, if Dragonstone had eggs, you'd think Stannis would've found them.

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

There are many possibilities for new dragon eggs. 

Stepstones - Unlikely but possible. 

Vale mountain clans - not Cannibal @Curled Fingerbut Sheepstealer and Nettles. Remember the Painted Dogs and now Burned Men? Will be great to see Timett on a dragon. Wait, we have Sansa with a drop of dragon blood in the Vale. 

Bloodraven’s dragon egg in the Red fork or in the crypts of Winterfell. 

And Alyssane, silverwing and the Nightfort

And many which escape my memory 

Yep, wrong dragon.  It was Sheepstealer. 

17 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Caraxes spent years in the Stepstones, while Daemon was warring there. 

Any chance she might have left eggs in the Stepstones?

The value of the dragon eggs make it a commodity which would motivate people to go through a lot of trouble to find them.  They will have to be very well hidden.  Like invisible. 

2 hours ago, James West said:

The value of the dragon eggs make it a commodity which would motivate people to go through a lot of trouble to find them.  They will have to be very well hidden.  Like invisible. 

If there are some eggs hidden down there, they may be too difficult to find by only human means.  Dragons tend to burrow and, being able to fly and even perhaps swim many times better than humans, would be about to lay in pretty inaccessible spots, wherever that may be. 

This be would apply to Dragonstone as well.

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Caraxes was a male dragon as far as people know. Could be he changed sexes at one point, but apparently there are no records about this particular dragon ever producing any eggs.

There's no record of any particular dragon laying eggs, iirc.

I realize though I was mistaken; I thought Caraxes was the "red queen," which is actually Meleys.  That said, dragons are purported to be able to change gender at whim.

24 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

There's no record of any particular dragon laying eggs, iirc.

No, we hear about Dreamfyre and Syrax producing multiple clutches of eggs. And we can be reasonably sure that all dragons marked as female by our historians were identified as such by their ability to produce eggs. That would especially be true for the two dragons called 'queen', namely Meleys and Tessarion, which may have to do with their ability to produce eggs. For instance, the dragon Seasmoke likely hatched from an egg produced by Meleys

24 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

I realize though I was mistaken; I thought Caraxes was the "red queen," which is actually Meleys.  That said, dragons are purported to be able to change gender at whim.

Yes, they are, but dragons producing eggs is likely something people would notice, meaning they would be seen as female after that. The reason why Gyldayn and Yandel think Vermax was male is that he never produced any eggs as far as they know - which is why they dismiss the Mushroom rumor that Vermax left eggs at Winterfell.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:05 PM, Isobel Harper said:

If there are some eggs hidden down there, they may be too difficult to find by only human means.  Dragons tend to burrow and, being able to fly and even perhaps swim many times better than humans, would be about to lay in pretty inaccessible spots, wherever that may be. 

This be would apply to Dragonstone as well.

Perhaps but the value of a dragon's egg is the kind that make any effort to acquire them possible.  People will risk lives to get an egg.

On 8/15/2020 at 6:00 PM, Isobel Harper said:

Caraxes spent years in the Stepstones, while Daemon was warring there. 

Any chance she might have left eggs in the Stepstones?

There are dragon eggs in the world.  All probably already petrified.  There is only one Mother of Dragons though.  And she is not going to be inclined to hatch more dragons. 

Archived