Lovecraft Country

JGP

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

Not really sure why the cops took them into the woods to execute them either. Part of what made the encounter with the first cop so chilling was that he was going to murder them legally. Plus if Leti's brother knew about the "animal attacks" in those woods you'd expect the local police force to be aware. 

That was a strange change from the book.  The first part was a story given to George by one of his researchers for the Safe Negro Travel Guide, and was part of the reason they were so wary of the Devon County sheriff; while the second part happened to them.  Seems odd that they would have combined the two together when Sheriff Hunt was the antagonist in both events and woods around the manor house were in Devon County, but that did not appear to be the case as they're shown driving out of Devon County with farmland on both sides of the highway...

Other changes that seem to be just for the hell of it:  George had a son not a daughter, his wife was not in town when Atticus arrives she was out on a road trip researching a spa in Utah (as she was expressing a desire to do in the episode), and Letitia is referred to as 'Titia instead of Leti.

23 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I thought for sure Uncle George 

Reveal hidden contents

was going to get bit. 

I was preparing myself to deal with being upset.

And I agree with Hauberk, I don't think you need to be well versed in the Lovecraft mythos. I haven't read all of his stuff, but I never felt it was rigidly built or minutely detailed. 

edit: Yeah, ok, definitely not. Was doing some other reading [reviews and such] and they're all referring to the creatures in E1 as Shoggoth [purses lips]

Yep.  I was initially surprised at them being Shoggoth.  From my first siting, I would have gone with Mi-Go, but again, that was likely due to the Sanity Checks rendering them as fur-less bears instead of chitinous, winged thingies.  

40 minutes ago, hauberk said:

Yep.  I was initially surprised at them being Shoggoth.  From my first siting, I would have gone with Mi-Go, but again, that was likely due to the Sanity Checks rendering them as fur-less bears instead of chitinous, winged thingies.  

They are actually calling those Shoggoths despite the main character describing shoggoths earlier in the episode which don't sound like those things?

2 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

They are actually calling those Shoggoths despite the main character describing shoggoths earlier in the episode which don't sound like those things?

Well they do have multiple eyes. I wonder if it will be revealed later that they can change shape, or if the show is going with a "truth behind the stories" approach, meaning Lovercraft's creatures are based on the real creatures this story will give us. 

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

It could just be the reviewers I've read who are confused. Hard to tell at the moment.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Slurk!  Long time!

Within the dialog they referred to them as vampires.  But the reviewers were calling them Shoggoth.

51 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

It could just be the reviewers I've read who are confused. Hard to tell at the moment.

Indeed.

@RedEyedGhost does the book clarify?  

Anyone know if the part that, I think, is supposed to be James Baldwin speaking (I think I read somewhere it is from a movie) is something he actually said/wrote, or is it just something from the Jackie Robinson movie and not something James Baldwin actually said?

Nevermind, a better search found it.

2 hours ago, hauberk said:

Slurk!  Long time!

Within the dialog they referred to them as vampires.  But the reviewers were calling them Shoggoth.

Indeed.

I'm still pretty early in the book myself, but they didn't even see the creatures in that initial encounter.  Afterwards they did joking say they were attacked by shoggoth, but still seemed to think it was some kind of bear.

3 hours ago, hauberk said:

Slurk!  Long time!

Indeed.

Oh I know Uncle George compares them to Vampires but I have to assume the reviewers or what not are calling them Shoggoths because they are monster mentioned earlier by the lead (I honestly didnt really catch his name Titch?) in conversation with I believe Letitia.  Problem is of course they don't look like Shoggoths are supposed to.  But whatever.

Oh I know Uncle George compares them to Vampires but I have to assume the reviewers or what not are calling them Shoggoths because they are monster mentioned earlier by the lead (I honestly didnt really catch his name Titch?) in conversation with I believe Letitia.  Problem is of course they don't look like Shoggoths are supposed to.  But whatever.

Atticus shortened to Tic, or Tik, no idea how they're spelling it in-script.

It seems like a weird error, but I'm not going to get hung up on it. Think you're probably right though. 

Agreed, though if he were just pulling a monster name, they behaved more like werewolves.  

I don’t know how far the mansion was from the woods they were attacked in(I might’ve missed it),but I did get a chuckle that the 3 of them walking through towns with blood all over them didn’t seem to raise any eyebrows. Especially after all they went through. 

I really liked the episode and will definitely keep watching. I thought Jonathan Majors was great and don’t remember seeing him in anything else.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I don’t know how far the mansion was from the woods they were attacked in(I might’ve missed it),but I did get a chuckle that the 3 of them walking through towns with blood all over them didn’t seem to raise any eyebrows. Especially after all they went through. 

I really liked the episode and will definitely keep watching. I thought Jonathan Majors was great and don’t remember seeing him in anything else.

He was just in Spike Lee’s newest movie Da 5 Bloods.

22 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Definitely Shoggoths, apparently.

Meet the Shoggoths of “Lovecraft Country”: The VFX Behind HBO’s New Monsters

“In terms of Lovecraft’s descriptions, you kind of feel like it’s a shapeless thing with lots of eyeballs, but it’s terrifying. I think they wanted to make it tangible, a bit more terrestrial. There’s no reason why it couldn’t have been a big blob with tentacles and eyes, but its character in Lovecraft Country is a

Spoiler

guard dog.”

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Definitely Shoggoths, apparently.

Meet the Shoggoths of “Lovecraft Country”: The VFX Behind HBO’s New Monsters

“In terms of Lovecraft’s descriptions, you kind of feel like it’s a shapeless thing with lots of eyeballs, but it’s terrifying. I think they wanted to make it tangible, a bit more terrestrial. There’s no reason why it couldn’t have been a big blob with tentacles and eyes, but its character in Lovecraft Country is a

Hide contents

guard dog.”

Boo. 

My first reading experience with a Shoggoth was in At The Mountains of Madness, iirc. And in text, even if amorphous, Shoggoths are big.

There's a veritable host of creatures they could've chosen for that particular role

Spoiler

ie: guard dogs or whatever

but, ok. I'm not going to get bent about it. 

edit: whoops on spoiler, corrected

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

My first reading experience with a Shoggoth was in At The Mountains of Madness, iirc. And in text, even if amorphous, Shoggoths are big.

Still the only Lovecraft story I've read. FYI if anyone wants to check it out it's public domain:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness

Archived