Lovecraft Country

JGP

OK, I have just watched the first episode...

You know, I consider myself a worldly person. And I have always been proud of my knowledge of different cultures, customs and history. I can talk about variety of things, from dragons in Chinese mythology to Netflix's latest dramas. But this episode shook me to the core. We hear stories, testimonials, we even see the rage on the streets. But the extent of hatred towards African Americans, the level of racism... And I mean "Lovecraft's country" is set in North. I had to call some of my friends and experts in history just to check.  I was horrified. I feel like when I first watch "A time to kill" which, for a preteen was a movie that show some great extent of racism. I found those chases far more disturbing and I am in my 30ies. 

Shoggots looked AMAZING and HBO shows that when it comes to high-end production, they still rule Hollywood. Looking forward to the next one.

I didn't find the last episode to be that good, other than Ruby's story. But I've not really liked Montrose from the beginning, so his issues don't interest me and I felt it slowed down the episode, while Tick and Leti slightly developed their relationship, and nothing else.

That last episode was crazy. Felt like someone ordered pizza with everything on it - everything, including pineapple.

Agreed the Ruby story was the only interesting one of the three.

Spoiler

That Christina lures Ruby to test the doors that open as a white woman, whilst for herself tests doors she can only open as a white man.   

On 9/14/2020 at 3:26 AM, Mladen said:

but the extent of hatred towards African Americans, the level of racism...

Did you see the HBO Watchmen opening ep and the Tulsa Massacre?

Stephen Dedalus said in James Joyce's Ulysses:  "History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake." 

Which is why American history gatekeepers such as Sean Wilentz battle to the death to deny, remove and edit out the most foundational aspects of our national history.  (Which has a side-effect of demontrating in the present how easy it has been to edit and remove effective women from history of everything, whether military, political or artistic.)

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Did you see the HBO Watchmen opening ep and the Tulsa Massacre?

Stephen Dedalus said in James Joyce's Ulysses:  "History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake." 

Which is why American history gatekeepers such as Sean Wilentz battle to the death to deny, remove and edit out the most foundational aspects of our national history.  (Which has a side-effect of demontrating in the present how easy it has been to edit and remove effective women from history of everything, whether military, political or artistic.)

Oh, I still haven't watched it. I meant, but then we had covid-19 crisis and I lost track. I will watch it. It's on the list.

As for LC and the history, sadly we tend to forget and that oblivion shapes our mindset. I wouldn't say I was pleased to see it, but it broadened my perspective regarding the issue.

8 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yet another well done HBO show....

Yeah... My impression is the same. I like to see production values and the mere VFX of Shoggots is better than anything Netflix did with the monsters of Witcher.

11 minutes ago, Mladen said:

My impression is the same. I like to see production values and the mere VFX of Shoggots is better than anything Netflix did with the monsters of Witcher.

That was quite like shooting fish in a barrel.  Ahem.  :D

I'm sorry to hear you had a covid-19 crisis.  No jokes these, not at all.  I just heard, literally right now, a close friend's husband had a new computer system installed at their home.  The IT guy has just been diagnosed with covid-19, and was coming down with it while in their house.  Between then and getting the news my friend's daughter, sil, grandson, son, wife and their children have all been in their house.  And they've been out and about for groceries and Home Depot, the yard and gardening center, etc.

Kinda reminds me of the the Wachowskis's Sense8, which I couldn't drum up any energy to watch all the way through, once I'd slogged through the first 3 - 4 episodes.  I'm an unfan of horror -- and Lovercraft particularly --too, so, though I admire the look of this series, I'm not watching it.  It's not interesting enough to watch, at least according to my taste of what is interesting.

I liked the last episode. Didn't know until I looked it up that it was Judy Garland's voice at the end.

These last couple episodes have been enough that I'm in for the rest of the season.

Preview of next episode indicates we get to find out what Hippolyta and daughter have been up to.

On 9/15/2020 at 7:45 AM, Martini Sigil said:

Yet another well done HBO show.... Pretty much, if Michael K Williams is in it, I tend to really like it,,,, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Hap & Leonard.... he's like a good luck charm....lol

Yea HBO is one of those things I’m just gonna always have to have. Like if I really had to tighten my belt I think I’d keep HBO over just about any of the other entertainment things I have going in my life. Right now I’m really enjoying Lovecraft Country as well as Raised By Wolves (which I’m not current on yet), and that pottery making show they seem to have inherited from MAX. I’m also a regular Bill Maher viewer.

Anyway, I have not read the book, but the show is a really fun ride. The whole cast is great - and Jurnee Smollett is stunning. 

It baffles me how this show could produce such a good hour of television. By far the best thing they have done so far. That being said, it still is a mixed bag. Episode 1 is good, 6 very good and 5 is interesting. 2-4 are dismal so the hit v. miss rate still isn't great. I'm in for the rest of the season now, but I sure hope that the last episodes are going to resemble 6 more than they resemble any of the others.  

So I background watched episode 5 yet I found myself riveted throughout last week's episode. How does the same show manage to make such a good hour of TV when the rest of the show has been all over the place? Possibly by having a completely different focus? But if that's the case it suggests the show has been following the wrong characters.

The episode weirdly reminded me of a "love death and robots" episode which also followed asian fox spirits. The other show it reminded me of was "american gods" in the sense the show was all over the place in terms of quality but was often better when not dealing with the main narrative.

I certainly hope to see more of the character introduced here as her story and the actor were really engaging. The episode also made atticus a much more sympathetic and 3 dimensional character and gave the actor a chance to shine. 

Is the episode a fluke or is this the show hitting its stride? I suspect it may be a one off but I'll certainly be watching the next episode on the off-chance it isn't.

It has me considering whether I should give snowpiercer another chance as the director of this episode directed the two episodes after me giving up on the show.

On 9/21/2020 at 6:09 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Interesting.  Not a single second of that was in the book.

If that's the case they maybe need to do their own thing with the show as the book seems to be holding the show back.

Archived