Lovecraft Country

JGP

What a weird, uneven season of TV that was. 

3 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

It was a finale already? Thought it's gonna be twelve episodes for some reason.

I think it could have benefited from having an extra episode or two. Some things felt rushed. 

12 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

I liked it, though not sure what happened with Tic's ex there.

Hopefully we'll get further adventures and/or a spinoff with

Hide contents

Dee and her shoggoth.

No one ever called it a limited series so I just assumed it'd be continuing, as HBO pretty much renews everything these days. It's not hard to imagine how they could bring Atticus back either. But I think it's more likely they jump ahead a decade or so each season and keep telling the family's story. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I think it could have benefited from having an extra episode or two. Some things felt rushed. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

No one ever called it a limited series so I just assumed it'd be continuing, as HBO pretty much renews everything these days. It's not hard to imagine how they could bring Atticus back either. But I think it's more likely they jump ahead a decade or so each season and keep telling the family's story. 

I don't know if/how they're going to continue either, yet really think the showrunners should go wild with

Spoiler

the binding that locked white people out of magic, and how that'd change the post 50s world going forward.

14 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Agreed.

I don't know if/how they're going to continue either, yet really think the showrunners should go wild with

Reveal hidden contents

the binding that locked white people out of magic, and how that'd change the post 50s world going forward.

Yeah. It raises the question though 

Who would the antagonists be? Watching them fight racism with magic could be fun, but if there's no magic on the other side it could get old fast. I guess they could have a non-human antagonist.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

Who would the antagonists be? Watching them fight racism with magic could be fun, but if there's no magic on the other side it could get old fast. I guess they could have a non-human antagonist.

I'm reading Ring Shout right now, which while unrelated has plenty of this.

Spoiler

Likewise, the cosmic horror angle's hardly been mined. If a literally empowered Black populace/key actors become a threat to whatever, well... [spreads hands]

Also, you know, power corrupts. Lovecraft Country's Uncle Tom could be whew.

My friend and I managed to catch up... This is the worst series I have finished in years. Normally I would have called quits on this shit show after a few episodes, but global pandemic, social obligation and the fact that it got good reviews kept me in. 

If episode 6 hadn't promised better things to come, I would have walked away and I should have. These are ten fucking hours of my life I'm never getting back. I'll definitely give this one a negative recommendation to every one who asks for my opinion on it and I'm sure as hell not giving this another shot.

Fuck 2020. What bullshit is this.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

My friend and I managed to catch up... This is the worst series I have finished in years. Normally I would have called quits on this shit show after a few episodes, but global pandemic, social obligation and the fact that it got good reviews kept me in. 

If episode 6 hadn't promised better things to come, I would have walked away and I should have. These are ten fucking hours of my life I'm never getting back. I'll definitely give this one a negative recommendation to every one who asks for my opinion on it and I'm sure as hell not giving this another shot.

The sheer savagery

A disappointing season finale for me. Shame, because the build-up from the previous 3 episodes had promise. Nothing wrong with the actors and their characters, who are mostly good (I heard Wumni Mosuku, who plays Ruby, speaking during an interview recently and wow her Ruby accent is great) - but the denouement was poorly executed and not helped by average CGI. Kind of reflective of the season. Hot & cold, hit & miss. If there's a next season I may wait till the end of it before investing any time to it.

Some thoughts on the ending.

Spoiler

I didn't like how they had Diana dispatching Christina - now she's a cold blooded murderer like her uncle and cousin. I thought that was unnecessary, unless this is an origin story for her to go full vigilante with the family Shoggoth as her side-kick.

------------

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

nine fucking hours! you already admitted episode 6 had promise :)

14 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

The sheer savagery

That's like my middle name :hat:

6 hours ago, ithanos said:

A disappointing season finale for me. Shame, because the build-up from the previous 3 episodes had promise. Nothing wrong with the actors and their characters, who are mostly good (I heard Wumni Mosuku, who plays Ruby, speaking during an interview recently and wow her Ruby accent is great) - but the denouement was poorly executed and not helped by average CGI. Kind of reflective of the season. Hot & cold, hit & miss. If there's a next season I may wait till the end of it before investing any time to it.

Some thoughts on the ending.

Hide contents

I didn't like how they had Diana dispatching Christina - now she's a cold blooded murderer like her uncle and cousin. I thought that was unnecessary, unless this is an origin story for her to go full vigilante with the family Shoggoth as her side-kick.

------------

nine fucking hours! you already admitted episode 6 had promise :)

Nah, it wasn't that good. It had promise, but they should have build on it, but unfortunately they did fuck all with that episode. My life would have been better if I had done something else for 10 hours ::crying:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally saw the final episode. The previous one was one of the best of the series, I thought, probably because it focused in. This one was just ... all over the place, full of exposition, weird set-pieces (that awfully-cut fight scene, for one), no real gravity. The writing of the whole show has been inconsistent and while initially I thought they were just aiming for a pulp tone, now it feels like they just could not write any better.

I liked some of the show overall, and enjoyed the juxtaposition of modern music over these scenes, and especially the use of historical speeches and verse like James Baldwin and Gil Scott-Heron, but ... don't think I'd bother coming back to this if there's a 2nd season, unless there's some serious buzz about it.

• 7 months later...
On 11/7/2020 at 10:40 PM, Ranivaka said:

don't think I'd bother coming back to this if there's a 2nd season

Looks like I won't have to make that decision, as HBO has passed on making a second season. The right decision, IMO.

Interesting, since it sounds like Season 2 was planned and ready to go. We were also using Lovecraft Country as a measuring stick for the likelihood of The Nevers sticking around, so if the ratings were the primary reason for cancelling it, it might bode less well for that show (although they'll at least get a second bite at the cherry in the back half of Season 1).

Word was that Lovecraft Country was extremely expensive. I suspect it cost more per-episode than The Nevers. I also expect Lovecraft Country was pitched as a one-off series that could be continued if they desired, whereas I'm sure Whedon and co. presented a broad, multi-season plan for The Nevers

Archived