The CROWNED stag of Baratheon

Stannis th3 Mannis

maybe this is well known and im just late to the party but I always assumed the Baratheons sigil was always a stag and once Robert became king it became a crowned stag but I was listening to A Knight Of The Seven Kingdom's for the hundredth time and at some point they mention The Crowned Stag of Baratheon so its always been crowned?? Why?

It probably dates back to pre-Aegon days, when there were literally seven (or more) "Kingdoms". Each kingdom had its own king  and ancestral crown. Some have clung to these former glories more than others - note the Iron Islands and their Seastone Chair and driftwood crown.

1 hour ago, Stannis th3 Mannis said:

maybe this is well known and im just late to the party but I always assumed the Baratheons sigil was always a stag and once Robert became king it became a crowned stag but I was listening to A Knight Of The Seven Kingdom's for the hundredth time and at some point they mention The Crowned Stag of Baratheon so its always been crowned?? Why?

The sigil comes from the Durrandons, who were storm kings for thousands of years.

When Orys Baratheon defeated the last Storm King, he also took his daughter, his sigil amd his seat.

4 hours ago, Stannis th3 Mannis said:

Because the Baratheons are basically just rebranded Durrandons and the Durrandons were Kings.

5 hours ago, frenin said:

The sigil comes from the Durrandons, who were storm kings for thousands of years.

When Orys Baratheon defeated the last Storm King, he also took his daughter, his sigil amd his seat.

2 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Because the Baratheons are basically just rebranded Durrandons and the Durrandons were Kings.

A question though. Why didn't Aegon decide to change that a bit? He decided to be the one and only king of the continent...... So he could just ask Orys to just discard the crown(royal symbol) from the Durrandon sigil. Why didn't he? I mean they had done away with the name. Surely they can also remove the crown, right?

1 hour ago, Orm said:

A question though. Why didn't Aegon decide to change that a bit? He decided to be the one and only king of the continent...... So he could just ask Orys to just discard the crown(royal symbol) from the Durrandon sigil. Why didn't he? I mean they had done away with the name. Surely they can also remove the crown, right?

Orys was close to Aegon, possibly his bastard brother. Seems a petty thing to do really.

46 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Orys was close to Aegon, possibly his bastard brother. Seems a petty thing to do really.

Petty thing? I guess. But a crown is symbolism to Royalty. House Baratheon was a rebranded and attainted version of House Durrandon to the Targs. Taking out the crown furthers that without being insulting, really.....

Well if I think about it, Orys immersed himself in all the Durrandon stuff keeping himself at the head(the rebranding).... Aegon and him seem to be Bffs....

So, maybe thats why we have Gold Dragons and then Silver Stags after the conquest. But Gardener gold coins were banned.....

7 hours ago, Orm said:

Because the crown is irrelevant really. 

7 hours ago, M.Alhazred said:

The more conspiratorial would say the real reason that The Baratheon's kept the crowned stag was because they had ambitions beyond The Stormlands.

orys b. was more patient and cautious than doran martell... plot planned 280 years ahead :ph34r:

They are not the only ones with crowns in their sigils. Also consider the late Hollards, the Dustins and the Manwoodys. Westeros lived more time with lots of kings about the lands instead of a single monarch. The Iron Throne is fairly recent, if you take the tellings of the worldbook.

On 8/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, Stannis th3 Mannis said:

In the fifth episode of the TV show, when Bran is reciting the sigils of Westeros. he says " A Stag, a crowned Stag now that Robert is king ".

It makes people believe the stag didnt become crowned until Robert is made king. 

Archived