US Politics: The Roll Call Heard Across America

Fragile Bird

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

This really depends on the age of the appointee.  If they're younger, like say Andrew Cuomo or Julian Castro who both served as HUD secretaries, the position is often used as a jumping off point to elected office.  For the big four though (State, Defense, Treasury, AG), that position is usually one of if not the last jobs in public service for the officeholder.  Sessions would have been a pretty big outlier in that regard, but he got beat by a football coach.

Poor Jeff Sessions

25 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

And do the debates even matter? Back in 2016, HRC was judged to have won all three, for all the good THAT did her.

I agree. I remember not loving her leading up to the debates, but when I saw her in action I knew she was qualified, composed, and more than ready to be President. And contrasting with Donald Trump, she as good as any potential president I'd ever seen. And, as you noted, that seems to not have mattered. The debates are a liability only for Biden at this point. Trump's push for more should be continually met with a resounding "NOPE," from Biden's camp.

2 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I agree. I remember not loving her leading up to the debates, but when I saw her in action I knew she was qualified, composed, and more than ready to be President. And contrasting with Donald Trump, she as good as any potential president I'd ever seen. And, as you noted, that seems to not have mattered. The debates are a liability only for Biden at this point. Trump's push for more should be continually met with a resounding "NOPE," from Biden's camp.

I still think Biden should say he will do more debates if Trump reveals his tax returns for the past decade or whatever.  And when Trump doesn't, call him a chicken and say he is either scared of Biden or is doing something illegal and is scared of the American people finding out.

4 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

Fair point.

You'd probably know this, how often does someone after they take a cabinet position, when it comes to a close, go back into an elected position?

Back in the days of the Republic -- i.e. before Andrew Jackson, Secretary of State was from where one recognized to move on next to the Presidency, like Madison as Jefferson's SoS, Monroe Sec of state, JQ Adams.  Which is why Clay made his bargain with JQ, to unite the electoral votes for JQ, and Clay would be named Sec of State. Neither of them would get the votes necessary over Jackson otherwise.  Jackson HOWLED. 

59 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Perhaps... but then again you seem to be happy to settle for a two yard gain on every play. :dunno:

This isn't metaphorical, but back in college my best friend was a Steelers fan and this is how he would play with Bettis.  He was guaranteed to gain three yards on every play, so that's all he'd do - over and over again including 4th down.  I eventually refused to play with him.

2 hours ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Perhaps... but then again you seem to be happy to settle for a two yard gain on every play. :dunno:

Negative. You read the defense, find it's weaknesses, and work the ball down the field with high percentage plays until you score. Football is a lot like politics, you can try something with a very low chance of working or you take what you can get as you slowly build a long, clock burning drive. I'll take what history shows works, not some YOLO shit. 

@Simon Steele, I just realized, you're The Sex Cannon. 

(Jesus I haven't read that parody article in a while, it does not hold up in these times)

1 hour ago, DMC said:

This isn't metaphorical, but back in college my best friend was a Steelers fan and this is how he would play with Bettis.  He was guaranteed to gain three yards on every play, so that's all he'd do - over and over again including 4th down.  I eventually refused to play with him.

I find the idea of college you (supposedly) snapping and tossing the controller into the corner and basically rage quitting quite amusing, and maybe more metaphorical than you intended.

48 minutes ago, Horza said:

If you see one of these rallies keep in mind it’s a QAnon front:

Since the Democratic Member of Congress already used the obligatory simpsons clip, let's try something else.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I find the idea of college you (supposedly) snapping and tossing the controller into the corner and basically rage quitting quite amusing, and maybe more metaphorical than you intended.

Well, I'm not sure what the metaphor there is, but certainly I went through a lot of controllers around that time.  Amazon shoulda gave me a prime membership just for how many times I had to order them.

Just now, DMC said:

Well, I'm not sure what the metaphor there is, but certainly I went through a lot of controllers around that time.  Amazon shoulda gave me a prime membership just for how many times I had to order them.

Was intended as a very round way to chide the Bernie or bust, aka, incremental progress is no progress folks.

Archived