Football: Ending the Season with a Title Hattrick

A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Our approach to transfers can aptly be summed up by the rumour (whether or not it's true) that we phoned Brescia with a bid for Sandro Tonali after they'd already agreed a deal with Inter. Like if it's true we may well still get him but talk about last second.

At least today we got linked with useful transfers that might credibly happen (him and Sergio Regulion). Although I don't know if that's better coz now I have some hope.

I haven't seen anyone even semi reliable report on this. Di Marzio confirmed that Milan are in talks for Tonali. Bullshit merchants have been linking a load of clubs with Reguilon (United, Spurs, Inter, Juve, Chelsea, PSG) but right now it seems there isn't any firm interest in him. There were reports a while back that Real Madrid want a buyback clause on Reguilon which could explain the lack of interest thus far. 

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Chelsea looking scary with Havertz, Werner, Silva, Chillwell and Ziyech

They'll certainly be scary going forward, but then they were last season too a lot of the time. I guess Havertz will replace Mount, Werner- Giroud/Abraham, and Ziyech- Willian/CHO. All good signings, but most of the players whose places they'll likely be taking had good years last year too. Abraham was scoring for fun in the first half of the season, and Giroud finished strongly. Mount again started really strongly, and while Willian perhaps didn't have the best year, his workrate helped out a lot against the better sides.

Chilwell I'm less convinced about - he's good going forward and a bit dodgy defensively, and they've already got that in Alonso anyway. Have they just spent £50m on an English sidegrade?

And Silva turns 36 next month, so who knows how that's going to work out?

Usually the Community Shield would be time to start guessing at teams’ prospects for the season ahead, but it’s too early for that this season since the transfer window has another five weeks to run.

But I’ll make a start with two clubs that I’m finding hard to predict: Spurs and Everton will both have their first pre-season under their storied managers.

Spurs were abject at the start of last season until Mourinho steadied the ship and ultimately got them to 6th, which means EL games will add to their load ahead.  They’ve played defensively to grind out results, and they were struggling for several weeks until the timely break gave them a chance to get Kane and Son back fit and do some coaching (similar to United benefiting from the break for their attackers).  They also got a run of great productivity from Alli before he faded again into his slumber of recent years.  So far Doherty at RB and Hojbjerg at DMF are decent additions to address weak spots in the team, although neither would get a game for another top 6 team (maybe Doherty at Arsenal).  The squad has aged and declined in recent years as Levy reaped the financial benefits of keeping Pochettino’s stars on their original contracts.  They did add Ndombele, LoCelso and Bergwijn last year in a big splurge, but Ndombele hasn’t lived up to expectations.  With no CL this year and an expensive stadium debt, they may not have a lot of financial capacity to indulge Mourinho in transfers.  Kane and Son guarantee them goals when fit, but both are at risk of being overplayed in the season ahead, and Kane already looked unhappy with Mourinho’s defensive style — and the fans won’t be far behind.  This’ll be a defensive counter-attacking team, using the pace of Son/Moura/Bergwijn around Kane, but I’m not sure how the high press of Alli/Lamela fits into Mourinho’s low block.  They have a pretty kind schedule for the first nine games, so they could build some momentum early on.  They definitely have potential to grind out results, but they could also pick up too many draws or narrow losses.  A lot depends on whether Hojbjerg is a more effective shield for a defense that will be shaky wherever Alderweireld isn’t.

Everton are really hard to predict because so far a wealthy new owner and Carlo Ancelotti as manager haven’t yet made any significant changes to a squad that looks stale.  I expect some transfers here.  Perhaps they’re still scarred from buying three #10s, but the main rumor so far is about buying/loaning James Rodriguez as another #10.  Calvert-Lewin continues to develop, Richarlison is the attacking star, and Bernard offers some trickery and creativity but not consistency, but it doesn’t quite add up to a clear attacking system, and the MF also lacks a clear structure: Iwobi is a good wide AMF and Gomes is the lynchpin, but players like Davies, Gbamin and Sigurdsson fell short of expectations last year.  And the defense can be rocky, with neither Keane nor Mina really rock solid, and Pickford justifiably losing his spot for England.  I have to imagine that Ancelotti expects more, but I don’t yet see where it’ll come from.

Arsenal are bloated in the CB position - Gabriel, Saliba, Luiz, Mari, Mustafi, Sokratis, Chambers and Holding. However, Mustafi, Sokratis and Luiz's contracts expire next June so a loan for Holding where he has a better opportunity for regular game time is a good idea. I wouldn't have thought that a CB would be high up on Newcastle's list though. 

ETA. forgot that Arsenal have Mavropanos out on loan as well. 

Holding was excellent before his ACL injury. Was starting games and looking good. Has not hit that form since then, as consigliere said, we are bloated at CB especially with Gabriel likely coming in.

I would be fine if we sold chambers & Sokratis and loaned out Mavropanos.

Not sure what to do about Holding. I think we will need him given that we are playing a 3 and Saliba and Gabriel will be new.

I can understand loaning him out though. He needs games.

11 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Everton are really hard to predict because so far a wealthy new owner and Carlo Ancelotti as manager haven’t yet made any significant changes to a squad that looks stale.  I expect some transfers here.  Perhaps they’re still scarred from buying three #10s, but the main rumor so far is about buying/loaning James Rodriguez as another #10.  Calvert-Lewin continues to develop, Richarlison is the attacking star, and Bernard offers some trickery and creativity but not consistency, but it doesn’t quite add up to a clear attacking system, and the MF also lacks a clear structure: Iwobi is a good wide AMF and Gomes is the lynchpin, but players like Davies, Gbamin and Sigurdsson fell short of expectations last year.  And the defense can be rocky, with neither Keane nor Mina really rock solid, and Pickford justifiably losing his spot for England.  I have to imagine that Ancelotti expects more, but I don’t yet see where it’ll come from.

Couple of quibbles - main rumour from every Everton site I see says we're after Allan from Napoli, to shore up DM, and Doucouré from Watford. Rodriguez has also been mentioned.

Also, Gbamin didn't live up to exptectations, because he was injured. Yes, whole season, minus the .. what? 30 odd minutes he played.

Archived