Football: Ending the Season with a Title Hattrick

A Horse Named Stranger

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I thought Ancelotti has used a 4-4-2 diamond in the past, and generally likes a narrow MF.  I thought that was his plan for the new signings.  But Coleman could have a fitness challenge at his age to cover the entire right wing.

Kind of helps if your fullbacks are Cafu and Maldini if you're going to play four central midfielders. I'd have though the obvious thing to do for Everton would be to play 4-2-3-1 with Rodriguez central and Richarlison wide.

Villa have signed Ollie Watkins for £28 million. You never know how players are going to do stepping up a level but I thought he looked excellent for Brentford last year so potentially that's a really good signing.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I thought Ancelotti has used a 4-4-2 diamond in the past, and generally likes a narrow MF.  I thought that was his plan for the new signings.  But Coleman could have a fitness challenge at his age to cover the entire right wing.

Might work. Coleman hasn't played an entire season for at least the last six years, though, so we know he'll go missing for a couple of stretches. Right now that means Kenny will have to fill in. 

He did well in Germany, by all accounts, so maybe he can take the step up this year.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Kind of helps if your fullbacks are Cafu and Maldini if you're going to play four central midfielders. I'd have though the obvious thing to do for Everton would be to play 4-2-3-1 with Rodriguez central and Richarlison wide.

Villa have signed Ollie Watkins for £28 million. You never know how players are going to do stepping up a level but I thought he looked excellent for Brentford last year so potentially that's a really good signing.

That seems like the best solution to me, but every man and his dog tells me Ancelotti loves his 4-4-2. 

I also happen to think that Iwobi would be much better as a central 10 than as a wide man. Hope he gets a chance there.

3 minutes ago, Raja said:

How has iwobi worked out for y'all?

Better than Walcott, imo.

That's not saying much, though. Too inconsistent.

Expanding a bit: He tries a lot. Wants to create, wants to make things happen. And he's good with the ball. His desicions may be suspect at times, but the most irritating part is that his passing is extremly inconsistent. He can thread a ball through in one breath, and miss a 5-yards sideways pass the next. 

Also, he's not a crosser and not a finisher. First part means he's wasted on the wing. So I'd rather have him play the 10.

3 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Too inconsistent.

Hmm. Was hoping as he'ed get older and get more playing time, he would find consistency. He can be excellent and can basically do everything you need someone in his position to do

Finally starting to understand Conte's rants. He probably knew Inter management are fucking phonies and they would miss on Tonali (agreed personal terms - pulled out of purchasing him last minute), they were putting Messi on their pre - match posters as if they are going to sign him (I mean of course they weren't going to but why saying you'll do something you won't), and now are letting Godin go to Cagliari for free - a player that was experienced and appreciated by Conte.

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Why are Arsenal doing that?  I thought he might have done enough to earn the starting spot over Leno.  He was pretty good when he got a run in the team.

Who knows. Think he's pushing it a bit if he doesn't get the #1 shirt and Leno was pretty good for us too. We also need money to buy players.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

They should have gone for Schick!

Already gone to Leverkusen.

On 9/10/2020 at 10:26 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Why are Arsenal doing that?  I thought he might have done enough to earn the starting spot over Leno.  He was pretty good when he got a run in the team.

Leno hadn't done anything horrible last season, that would justify a demotion to number 2 status. So you'd end up with one unhappy goalie (Leno or Martinez). Martinez was arguably easier to sell in this market (fee + wages), so now Arsenal have at least some more cash. If Martinez turns out to be a better goalkeeper than Leno, fair enough, but it's really not like Leno was awful last season and he is the more proven goalkeeper.

23 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

For all the whining that Chelsea fans did about him last season, he got 9 goals and 7 assists in the league.

Most of the whinging usually centred around consistency. Willian can be very good at times but he also tends to disappear for long stretches as well. 

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Most of the whinging usually centred around consistency. Willian can be very good at times but he also tends to disappear for long stretches as well. 

True, he's not always on fire creatively, but he's very consistent with his work-rate, and Chelsea will certainly miss that in the games against the better sides.

Archived