Football: Ending the Season with a Title Hattrick

A Horse Named Stranger

31 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Seriously though, our defense is getting steadily worse. We pretty much concede every game these days.

Klopp has the defence pushing higher and higher up the pitch, but all it does is leave us vulnerable, and, given that we've been scoring fewer goals in recent times, what's the upside?

Successful offside traps I'm guessing. I'd assume Liverpool would be up there with the most number of successful traps. Klopp clearly prefers to eliminate risk where possible and offside is one of his biggest asset in that sense (specially with VAR in play). Considering both Virgil and Gomez are quick and can recover most of the time, I think he is trying to take advantage of their speed and trying to push the whole group up the pitch to better counter how most oppositions plays against us (i.e. sit deep and counterattack) by having numbers around the box. (Not sure if that is the case this game as I am not watching it......because Liverpool always lose when I watch live :blushing:)

What's the alternative? staying deeper? we'll still get countered because the opposition will utilize the gap between defense and mid (and if mid is also deep then attack will be toothless due to lack of numbers and we will be whining about that instead). I don't think high line is the problem as much as the defense just making more mistakes under pressure than expected and Ali not saving our bacon as much as he did previously.

Also, I think teams are just getting better at utilizing their pacey attackers and staying onside.

4 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Successful offside traps I'm guessing. I'd assume Liverpool would be up there with the most number of successful traps. Klopp clearly prefers to eliminate risk where possible and offside is one of his biggest asset in that sense (specially with VAR in play). Considering both Virgil and Gomez are quick and can recover most of the time, I think he is trying to take advantage of their speed and trying to push the whole group up the pitch to better counter how most oppositions plays against us (i.e. sit deep and counterattack) by having numbers around the box. (Not sure if that is the case this game as I am not watching it......because Liverpool always lose when I watch live :blushing:)

What's the alternative? staying deeper? we'll still get countered because the opposition will utilize the gap between defense and mid (and if mid is also deep then attack will be toothless due to lack of numbers and we will be whining about that instead). I don't think high line is the problem as much as the defense just making more mistakes under pressure than expected and Ali not saving our bacon as much as he did previously.

Also, I think teams are just getting better at utilizing their pacey attackers and staying onside.

The alternative is doing what we were doing in 18/19 when we conceded fewer goals and scored more!

4 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

The alternative is doing what we were doing in 18/19 when we conceded fewer goals and scored more!

I don't think team played us the same way last year the way they did the year before. Last season more teams sat deep and countered vs the season before when people still thought Liverpool was weak to counters/set piece etc (based on the years before). 2018/19 was the year we changed that and in 2019/2020 teams adapter and took a more defensive approach.

Plus, I am pretty sure we created more chances last season despite the opposition being more defensive. It's the finishing that let us down last season (and going by this thread....has continued to this season!).

Anyways, we are not doing well so I am gonna go sleep. I think me keeping an eye on the score is jinxing us :uhoh:

Archived