Errata thread

zionius

This is for the errata of A Song of Ice and Fire, Dunk & Egg tales, Fire & Blood, The World of Ice & Fire, etc. Best check https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire_Errata for known issues before you submit new mistakes in the series.

Previous threads:

I'd start with a few new ones we recently noticed:

Lancel IV or V wielded his Valyrian steel sword against Ser Wilbert Osgrey in TSS. TWOIAF confirms it's Lancel IV and Brightroar. But his contemporary, Gyles III lived when the Manderlys were still at Mander, thus a thousand years before the Conquest, whereas Brightroar came into the possession of House Lannister about two hundred years before the Conquest. The Brightroar of Lancel IV has to be another much older sword with the same name.

Ser Arlan was a little boy when he saw the last dragon in 152 AC, which is 57 years before the time of THK. But Dunk said Arlan was no more than 60. The issue came from GRRM changed the timeline of THK from ~200 AC to 209AC.

After Battle of the Blackwater Dontos Hollard claimed ''Lord Tywin himself had their right wing on the north side of the river, with Randyll Tarly commanding the center and Mace Tyrell the left''. However, their right wing should be on the south side.

Ryman Frey was hanged near Fairmarket, according to Jaime, "not a day's ride from the Twins". However, the distance between Fairmarket and the Twins should took around ten day's ride.

AFFC appendix says Stannis made Lord Alester Florent his Hand before Battle of the Blackwater, however, ASOS suggests he became Hand after the battle. The Hand before him was likely Lord Velaryon

12 hours ago, zionius said:

Ser Arlan was a little boy when he saw the last dragon in 152 AC, which is 57 years before the time of THK. But Dunk said Arlan was no more than 60. The issue came from GRRM changed the timeline of THK from ~200 AC to 209AC.

Where is it stated that THK originally was supposed to take place around 200 AC? Could you provide a source?

Because even with THK taking place in 209 AC, the statement can still be true, although exaggerated. Based on Dunk's statement, Arlan was born in or between 149 AC and 153 AC. As long as he was indeed born in the earlier frame of that window, he would have been a young boy in 152 AC. Whether he truly remembers seeing the dragon, or it is a 'memory' drawn from people having told him that he had seen the dragon, while in truth he was too young to remember himself, is a different story.

I recall pointing out the 153 AC date for the death of the last dragon and Arlan's approximate age as per Dunk from THK to Ran back for TWoIaF. I'm not sure if there was a proper discussion about this with George and the editors, but if the whole thing is supposed to be an actual memory of Arlan's - and I think it is, since George has gone on record repeatedly pointing out he chose the Dunk & Egg era deliberately as a time when the dragons were already gone but there were still people around who had seen them with their own eyes - then things really get a little tense there.

But one can always make sense of that by assuming Dunk is somewhat mistaken about Arlan's age ... rather than assuming he saw the last dragon at an age when he could not possibly remember it as an adult (i.e. he was under three years old at the time).

However, this is the book series where three-year-olds start bloody quarrels with their ten-year-old uncles over dragons ... which just isn't something that would happen if people behaved and remembered and learned things the way they do in the real world.

15 hours ago, zionius said:

Lancel IV or V wielded his Valyrian steel sword against Ser Wilbert Osgrey in TSS. TWOIAF confirms it's Lancel IV and Brightroar. But his contemporary, Gyles III lived when the Manderlys were still at Mander, thus a thousand years before the Conquest, whereas Brightroar came into the possession of House Lannister about two hundred years before the Conquest. The Brightroar of Lancel IV has to be another much older sword with the same name.

Here I'd suggest to perhaps change the presence of the Manderlys in the TWoIaF version of events.

15 hours ago, zionius said:

AFFC appendix says Stannis made Lord Alester Florent his Hand before Battle of the Blackwater, however, ASOS suggests he became Hand after the battle. The Hand before him was likely Lord Velaryon

Do we have any indication that Stannis even had a Hand prior to naming Alester Florent? I don't think we have.

29 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Here I'd suggest to perhaps change the presence of the Manderlys in the TWoIaF version of events.

It's more than that. There is also mention of Gyles III Gardener and Dornish kings. It's pretty clear the battle at Red Lake took place before the coming of the Rhoynar, so as long as the Lannisters got their Valyrian steel sword around 100 BC, the Brightroar Lancel IV fought with was not of Valyrian Steel.

10 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Where is it stated that THK originally was supposed to take place around 200 AC? Could you provide a source?

Because even with THK taking place in 209 AC, the statement can still be true, although exaggerated. Based on Dunk's statement, Arlan was born in or between 149 AC and 153 AC. As long as he was indeed born in the earlier frame of that window, he would have been a young boy in 152 AC. Whether he truly remembers seeing the dragon, or it is a 'memory' drawn from people having told him that he had seen the dragon, while in truth he was too young to remember himself, is a different story.

THK began with "It's about a hundred years before AGOT". I seem to recall that's the only timemark as of 1998. With TSS published in 2008, it's clear Ashford tourney happened in 209 AC.

Though Ran seems to think it's always 209 AC, he mentioned here GRRM had envisioned Red Grass Battle at 204 AC.

7 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

But one can always make sense of that by assuming Dunk is somewhat mistaken about Arlan's age ... rather than assuming he saw the last dragon at an age when he could not possibly remember it as an adult (i.e. he was under three years old at the time).

Yep, so I only write it here for the record and discussion, rather than add it to wiki errata.

8 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Do we have any indication that Stannis even had a Hand prior to naming Alester Florent? I don't think we have.

“Did none keep faith?” he asked. “Some few,” the captain said. “The queen’s kin, them in chief. We took off many who wore the fox-and-flowers, though many more were left ashore, with all manner of badges. Lord Florent is the King’s Hand on Dragonstone now.”

Queen Selyse keeps court for him with her uncle the Lord Alester, who is naming himself the Hand.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:06 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

It's more than that. There is also mention of Gyles III Gardener and Dornish kings. It's pretty clear the battle at Red Lake took place before the coming of the Rhoynar, so as long as the Lannisters got their Valyrian steel sword around 100 BC, the Brightroar Lancel IV fought with was not of Valyrian Steel.

Yeah, that seems to be in part another iteration of the Lady Forlorn problem we had in the original version of the Battle of Seven Stars. I recall suggesting that they could have kept the original Lady Forlorn as a Valyrian steel sword considering the Andals fled from the Valyrians and/or this could have been a part of an intentional inconsistency on George's part having the septons and singers Yandel uses to tell the story of this ancient battle have the same Lady Forlorn the later Corbrays had.

I'd have also preferred it if the whole sacking of Highgarden during the time of Garth X and the subsequent rise of the Tyrells to the hereditary stewardship would have taken place after the arrival of the Rhoynar considering that a unified Dorne would have been better suited to deal the Gardeners such a devastating blow.

George could have made Brightroar the first Valyrian steel sword a royal house in Westeros acquired, something that could have taken place a thousand years or more before the Doom ... because the Lannisters of Casterly Rock were rich as hell and could have been people who, despite the remote location of their lands, could have sent envoys to Valyria in very early days - especially since the dragonlords coveted gold so much. Similarly with the Hightowers.

19 hours ago, zionius said:

“Did none keep faith?” he asked. “Some few,” the captain said. “The queen’s kin, them in chief. We took off many who wore the fox-and-flowers, though many more were left ashore, with all manner of badges. Lord Florent is the King’s Hand on Dragonstone now.”

Queen Selyse keeps court for him with her uncle the Lord Alester, who is naming himself the Hand.

That just means Lord Alester is the Hand now - or is seen as such - not that Stannis had a Hand prior to Lord Alester. But in fact it seems Selyse sort of arranged that her uncle was the Hand now, Stannis himself didn't seem to have him properly appointed. He just stayed in his apartments and talked to/received nobody but Melisandre and Selyse felt they needed a Hand so that whatever 'government' they had could continue.

5 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

That just means Lord Alester is the Hand now - or is seen as such - not that Stannis had a Hand prior to Lord Alester.

Small wonder a king without a hand would make a hand witthout fingers as his only choice:D

• 3 months later...

On the eve of Smith’s Day, Larra of Lys gave Prince Viserys a second son, a large and lusty boy that the prince named Aemon. A feast was held to celebrate, and all rejoiced at the birth of this new prince... save mayhaps for his year-and-a-half-old brother, Aegon [...]

Soon thereafter, Lord Alyn Oakenfist grew restless, and began to make plans for the second of his six great voyages. [...] The fleet set sail at mid-year, led by Oakenfist in a galley he named Bold Marilda after his mother.

Aegon was born during the third month of 135 AC, which means he was year-and-a-half in the ninth month of 136 AC. Alyn must have left Westeros not at mid-year, but at least three months later.

Archived