UK Politics: Johnsons Hoaxy Yurt North of Hadrian's Wall

Tywin Manderly

53 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

I thought it must've been another Tony Abbott you guys were talking about, this being the UK politics thread. But no, it's our batshit crazy ex-PM after all.

Have fun with that. You guys can keep him. No returns thanks.

I guess its only fair for all the criminals we sent you.   But I really don't like this trade.

So the government are trialling a system of paying people to self-isolate... at £13 a day. If you're on a low income.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53926977

£13 a day. £91 a week. How do you live on that? You can't. So how will that encourage anyone earning even minimum wage to declare their symptoms and stay home? It won't. Paying people to stay home while self-isolating is good policy. Doing it on the cheap is a waste of time and money.

6 hours ago, mormont said:

So the government are trialling a system of paying people to self-isolate... at £13 a day. If you're on a low income.

£13 a day. £91 a week. How do you live on that? You can't. So how will that encourage anyone earning even minimum wage to declare their symptoms and stay home? It won't. Paying people to stay home while self-isolating is good policy. Doing it on the cheap is a waste of time and money.

That's been the UK's problem for years though. There's a bottom-level floor of what money you need to survive one and both the minimum wage and benefits are both pretty much much at that level (if not somewhat below it, when it comes to rent). Because of that you had the issue of the perception that it was better to stay on benefits than work and also an encouragement to fraud, working cash in hand and not declaring extra income. These problems could have been avoided or reduced by having a genuine living wage and putting daylight between the minimum amount of money you earn and the minimum amount you need to survive on. Successive governments (starting with Blair) have failed to do this and then expressed bafflement at the problems inevitably stemming from it.

Thinking you can survive on £13 a day is risible. Maybe if you got your rent/mortgage paid as well and this was an emergency stopgap just for food, perhaps it would be workable, but not as a total amount.

It's more than I receive as a full time carer. My rent is paid, though, and I get a tiny bit of income support to bring my weekly pay up to about £90.

Giving up an international project manager's salary for this was stark af. Especially in London. Burned through my savings in next to no time. 

My brother gets benefits, but the amount he gets was cut by 40% when he was migrated onto PIP. 

I get help from my mum. Without that, I'd be fucked. 

On 8/27/2020 at 9:00 AM, mormont said:

The article says that this scheme is will only be rolled out in areas where there are a high number of coronavirus cases.  This seems confusing and counter-productive to me as everyone who has symptoms, or who has been contacted by the track and trace thingy, are supposed to self-isolate  but you will only get the paltry sum if you are in a high risk area? 

8 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

The article says that this scheme is will only be rolled out in areas where there are a high number of coronavirus cases.  This seems confusing and counter-productive to me as everyone who has symptoms, or who has been contacted by the track and trace thingy, are supposed to self-isolate  but you will only get the paltry sum if you are in a high risk area? 

Well, you see, the Tories are already squeamish enough about handing out "unearned money" as it is, so of course there has to be as many qualifiers for a ridiculously inadequate sum as it is.

On the other hand, if you happen to simply inherit a large fortune because you were lucky enough to be born into the right family, that's of course a whole different ball game altogether.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:19 AM, Impmk2 said:

I thought it must've been another Tony Abbott you guys were talking about, this being the UK politics thread. But no, it's our batshit crazy ex-PM after all.

Have fun with that. You guys can keep him. No returns thanks.

In fact, can we pay them to keep him? 

He's not an expert, even.

Hancock standing there insisting that Abbott isn't a homophobic misogynist moments after accepting without demur that Abbott has said homophobic misogynist things is sadly par for the course. This is modern right wing politics, where saying bigoted things doesn't make you a bigot. Doing bigoted things doesn't make you a bigot. Only campaigning for equality makes you a bigot.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

He's not an expert, even.

One might say he's a doctorb. 

Hancock standing there insisting that Abbott isn't a homophobic misogynist moments after accepting without demur that Abbott has said homophobic misogynist things is sadly par for the course. This is modern right wing politics, where saying bigoted things doesn't make you a bigot. Doing bigoted things doesn't make you a bigot. Only campaigning for equality makes you a bigot.

Calling out bigotry is the true bigotry of our times.....

Archived