UK Politics: Johnsons Hoaxy Yurt North of Hadrian's Wall

Tywin Manderly

14 hours ago, john said:

True, Chope is hardly defensible, just probably more defensible than Salmond at this point. On reflection I shouldn’t really have got involved in that argument, it’s enough to say that the SNP are open for criticism too, like any political party.

They're both terrible people. One for being a homophobic misogonist whose hindered efforts to combat abuse towards women and the other is sexual predator.

No need to argue which scumbag is more scummy.

Cineworld in the UK to close.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54407213

If this happens, it’s pretty much the end of cinema in Britain. Would have a big impact on the UK film industry too if they’re having to rely on the likes of Netflix to release.

Edit: story had been updates to clarify it’s a temp closure, but guessong that will depend on how soon we get back to ‘normality’. Apparently they were relying in the Bond film to boost attendance over winter but it’s delay means they no longer consider staying open viable

Sad, though at the same time Cineworld is my least favourite cinema chain. They seem to have ceased investment in their theatres a while ago, most being dirty and run down and about a decade out of date.

I wonder if this isn’t just accelerating the inevitable collapse of the cinema industry.

While I LOVE going to the cinema to see movies, maybe this could be a good thing? The whole industry seems to have to survive on by the numbers blockbusters, mainly from Disney. I know I am tired of them.

If everything was streaming then potentially the quality could rise? Maybe.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Cineworld in the UK to close.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54407213

If this happens, it’s pretty much the end of cinema in Britain. Would have a big impact on the UK film industry too if they’re having to rely on the likes of Netflix to release.

Edit: story had been updates to clarify it’s a temp closure, but guessong that will depend on how soon we get back to ‘normality’. Apparently they were relying in the Bond film to boost attendance over winter but it’s delay means they no longer consider staying open viable

Overstating things a bit. The buildings are still there and the demand for cinema will return. It is only the company shutting operations, which really is the workers losing their jobs. Cinema survived VHS and DVD, it'll survive this.

Even if that company goes bust, once the demand comes back some other company will open things back up. Might be a while though.

The stupid thing about the Lawrence Fox thing, well apart from him just generally being a bit of a self serving bell-end, is that surely his party already exists.. the Tories are taking care of the things Fox is complaining about, so why does he imagine there is any space or point for such a party. Except of course someone gave him a bunch of cash to do it and that is I guess what he is going to do with his life now that he doesn't have a viable acting career to fall back on.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Did anyone else find this hilarious?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/04/hands-up-who-takes-laurence-fox-seriously

Also, I hope the London section that had its power cut last night has got it back.

He’s trying to organise a boycott of Sainsburys

https://twitter.com/lozzafox/status/1312690460654219265?s=21

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Is LF right or wrong about that?  It's not always easy to tell from over here.

Well amongst other things Sainsburys wants to introduce safe spaces for its black staff.. which I can’t see as being an especially useful or productive step 

Stupid but serious question:

Who the fuck is Laurence Fox?

Apparently an actor (going by the Guardian piece, if it's not meant as satire). But should I know him or any of his roles? Or is it just actor as in third extra in Chuck Norris direct to video release?

36 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Apparently an actor (going by the Guardian piece, if it's not meant as satire). But should I know him or any of his roles? Or is it just actor as in third extra in Chuck Norris direct to video release?

A fairly serious career actor from an upper class background at one point, perhaps best known as the sidekick sergeant in the TV detective series Lewis. More recently his acting career seems to have dropped off and he has reinvented himself as a right wing pundit railing against wokeness, political correctness, diversity, erosion of British culture, etc..

He is best known for complaining about the political correctness of the appearance of a Sikh character in a British WW1 film, apparently being genuinely unaware of the substantial number of Sikhs who actually did fight for the British. In consequence he is considered a bit of a joke in many circles. and I suppose there is an argument that the best way to deal with people like him is to laugh at them.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

He’s pretty much unknown British actor, though comes from the actually good at acting Fox family. 

He gained notoriety when responding to some silly woman on Question Time who made a silly comment about Prince Harry’s wife. 

He was then made a bit more famous when his union made comments about him, subsequently having to backtrack and apologise. 

Having realised his acting career was basically over after having ‘bad opinions’, he’s gone on to basically be a twitter troll.

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The stupid thing about the Lawrence Fox thing, well apart from him just generally being a bit of a self serving bell-end, is that surely his party already exists.. the Tories are taking care of the things Fox is complaining about, so why does he imagine there is any space or point for such a party. Except of course someone gave him a bunch of cash to do it and that is I guess what he is going to do with his life now that he doesn't have a viable acting career to fall back on.

Seems to be a desirable qualifying criteria to start a right-wing political party. Not sure what you are implying about the Tory party though if you think he would be right at home there. If his WW1 Sikh comment mentioned above (and below) is anything to go by racist shitheel seems to be something the Tory party caters to, in your estimation. I can imagine that for some people there is a bit too much colour in the Tory cabinet. Though they probably already vote Brexit Party. So really the question is whether there is space in his party somewhere between Tory and Brexit, or beyond Brexit?

22 minutes ago, A wilding said:

A fairly serious career actor from an upper class background at one point, perhaps best known as the sidekick sergeant in the TV detective series Lewis. More recently his acting career seems to have dropped off and he has reinvented himself as a right wing pundit railing against wokeness, political correctness, diversity, erosion of British culture, etc..

He is best known for complaining about the political correctness of the appearance of a Sikh character in a British WW1 film, apparently being genuinely unaware of the substantial number of Sikhs who actually did fight for the British. In consequence he is considered a bit of a joke in many circles. and I suppose there is an argument that the best way to deal with people like him is to laugh at them.

That worked out well for the USA. Though it will almost certainly work in this case since the political structure is vastly different.

13 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If his WW1 Sikh comment mentioned above (and below) is anything to go by racist shitheel seems to be something the Tory party caters to, in your estimation.

What are you talking about? Truly there’s no greater example of systemic racism than showing a non-white soldier fighting for the British in WW1. Even if historically it did happen why couldn’t the movie just been white men fighting heroically for their country?

Why include other people who were there?

He’s totally not a right wing version of a sock justice warrior he and other right-wing reactionaries screech about all the time.

I’m being sarcastic.

50 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Gotta admire how meta this comment is :rofl:

Two people with one stone and all that.

Archived