Please Delete

Curled Finger

I have not been much interested in Gilly so far.  But she will become interesting to me if she goes to Essos and meets Daenerys, my favorite of the characters.  Gilly will be a very good ambassador from the wildlings to the heir to Westeros.  Literate or not, Gilly will have a lot of important information to share with our inquisitive young Queen.  Daenerys will ask the right questions and all Gilly will have to do is to give thorough and honest answers.  

It might be interesting to see Slaver's Bay from the eyes of a wildling woman.  The meeting between Missandei and Gilly will be epic.  "That one is curious about your dragons, Your Grace."

1 hour ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

I have not been much interested in Gilly so far.  But she will become interesting to me if she goes to Essos and meets Daenerys, my favorite of the characters.  Gilly will be a very good ambassador from the wildlings to the heir to Westeros.  Literate or not, Gilly will have a lot of important information to share with our inquisitive young Queen.  Daenerys will ask the right questions and all Gilly will have to do is to give thorough and honest answers.  

It might be interesting to see Slaver's Bay from the eyes of a wildling woman.  The meeting between Missandei and Gilly will be epic.  "That one is curious about your dragons, Your Grace."

I find it fascinating that Gilly receives her education from a princess and son of a high noble house during her time at the Nights Watch.  I'm not saying Gilly will go to Dany, but wouldn't that be something?  Gotta be a reason for all this blossoming Gilly does.   

Love, love, love Gilly. She is so determined and strong. She's super resilient in a way I find most admirable. I was devastaded when I realized she had left her son behind at Castle Black. A real tearjerker for me. Didn't help my son was also a baby at the breast when I read that for the first time. 

But, I'm confused. When did she learn how to read? Which princess did she encounter? Kojja Mo is not a princess or is she? I don't remember that and when I tried to find it I couldn't. 

2 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

Love, love, love Gilly. She is so determined and strong. She's super resilent in a way I find most admirable. I was devastaded when I realized she had left her son behind at Castle Black. A real tearjerker for me. Didn't help my son was also a baby at the breast when I read that for the first time. 

But, I'm confused. When did she learn how to read? Which princess did she encounter? Kojja Mo is not a princess or is she? I don't remember that and when I tried to find it I couldn't. 

That had to be very moving for you.   I wonder how many of us would come to love the child we were sent off with.  Gilly is sweet and I think that is a fine thing in such a bloody and violent story.  'Twas Princess Shireen who taught Gilly to read, and Sam.  Gilly strikes me very much as a pioneer woman, blazing a new trail into uncharted territory.   I think she's underrated sometimes, so thought I would toss out a line and see who else sees the wonder in this character.  Thanks for sharing your story, Lady.   

18 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

That had to be very moving for you.   I wonder how many of us would come to love the child we were sent off with.  Gilly is sweet and I think that is a fine thing in such a bloody and violent story.  'Twas Princess Shireen who taught Gilly to read, and Sam.  Gilly strikes me very much as a pioneer woman, blazing a new trail into uncharted territory.   I think she's underrated sometimes, so thought I would toss out a line and see who else sees the wonder in this character.  Thanks for sharing your story, Lady.   

Friend, I'm delighted we're here at it again. In my country we'd say we're "exchanging stickers", it's a figure of speech which references children's sticker albums, and how kids exchange duplicates so that the exchange benefits everyone involved. When two people have a chat to add to each other knowledge and help each other out we say they're exchanging stickers.

I think maybe you are confusing mediums here. Sam and Gilly depart Castle Black before Selyse arrives with Shireen. To the best of my knowledge, Shireen and Gilly never met in the books. Also I don't think Gilly ever learned how to read from anyone at all. Maybe Sam will teach her? I don't know if he'll have time for that.

I don't know where Gilly is going now, but she's been with us three whole books and I don't wanna loose sight of her, that's for sure.    

27 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Gilly is sweet and I think that is a fine thing in such a bloody and violent story.

Yes indeed. I agree. I really like how sweet she is, how gentle she is, while being fierce at the same time. One thing is fueled by the other. She is fierce because she cares. 

3 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

Friend, I'm delighted we're here at it again. In my country we'd say we're "exchanging stickers", it's a figure of speech which references children's sticker albums, and how kids exchange duplicates so that the exchange benefits everyone involved. When two people have a chat to add to each other knowledge and help each other out we say they're exchanging stickers.

I think maybe you are confusing mediums here. Sam and Gilly depart Castle Black before Selyse arrives with Shireen. To the best of my knowledge, Shireen and Gilly never met in the books. Also I don't think Gilly ever learned how to read from anyone at all. Maybe Sam will teach her? I don't know if he'll have time for that.

I don't know where Gilly is going now, but she's been with us three whole books and I don't wanna loose sight of her, that's for sure.    

You know it wouldn't be the first time.   I vowed to never revisit the other medium for this and of course other reasons because I was tired of misquoting a book I've read numerous times.  Thanks for the wake up call, i will try to get the silly thing deleted!   

On 8/28/2020 at 8:01 PM, Curled Finger said:

I find it fascinating that Gilly receives her education from a princess and son of a high noble house during her time at the Nights Watch.  I'm not saying Gilly will go to Dany, but wouldn't that be something?  Gotta be a reason for all this blossoming Gilly does.   

Gilly will be the first of many Wildlings to migrate to Essos.  That would be something.

4 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Gilly will be the first of many Wildlings to migrate to Essos.

I beg to differ. What about the many hundreds who earlier "migrated" in the holds of the slaver ships at Hardhome?

Also, I doubt Gilly would want to make her home in Essos. The societies there, outside of Braavos, are built on slavery, blood "sport", out of control dog consumption, and severe social stratification beyond the slavery. As one of the (relatively, under Craster) Free Folk, this would be even more abhorrent to Gilly. If she and Dany were to meet, Gilly would be a strong voice encouraging Daenerys to leave Essos for her Westerosi home, ASAP.

Archived