Chadwick Boseman passes away. I'm devastated.

fionwe1987

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I hope he was able to film some of the Black Panther sequel as it would be nice to have a send off. If not, Marvel really needs to think carefully how to proceed with that franchise as I'm not sure it would work or be respectful to recast.

Given what we know, you have to think that Marvel would be aware of his situation and that the future would have been discussed.

I can’t with this year. This one hurts so much, I’m heartbroken. I loved all his roles and he played so many iconic ones. As a huge Marvel fan I thought he played  T’Challa/Black Panther perfectly. I m so sad that we won’t get to see what else he was going to do as an actor. 

I remember a few months ago that he looked really thin and people were so cruel about his appearance. We all need to remember that no one knows the battles people are fighting so be remember that. 

I'm glad for all characters Chadwick bought to life for us. Hopefully he is at peace now and can rest from a 4yr long fight. 

Perhaps this isn't entirely about Boseman, but he was a major player, and I'm truly sad to lose another amazing young artist and performer too soon.

I've mentioned this before here, but seeing Black Panther on opening night in Manhattan, in a theater 95% Black, was possibly the best theater-going experience I've ever had. People were just incredibly, incredibly hyped. The whole crowd were on our feet for the biggest scenes. The family next to me was having a great time, and we all had a hearty laugh when Shuri uttered "Colonists" - causing me to amusingly duck and hide my very Irish face down, cracking the kids and their their dad next to me. When Michael B Jordan gave his triumphant speech, the crowd didn't stop cheering for a good thirty seconds. While a vocal movie theater can be distracting, in this case it was triumphant. Seeing hundreds of kids, nerds, moms, dads, everyone after the movie high-fiving, excitedly talking to eachother, and basically as joyous as can be - that was an experience I'll never forget. Boseman a truly Kingly aura in his take on T'Challa. The movie had its technical flaws, but it will forever be one of my favorite Marvel movies, simply on the charisma of the lead (and his fellow cast all around) and that wonderful night. Boseman played a leader in every role he's been lauded for.

I've actually only seen 42 among his other starring roles. I'll be trying out his James Brown biopic asap.

5 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Given what we know, you have to think that Marvel would be aware of his situation and that the future would have been discussed.

It depends in whether he told them (i can see how it could cost an actor work). Although you are probably right in the sense they often do medicals before embarking on big productions and respected his privacy. 

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he managed to keep it so quiet for the last four years. :stunned:

Like... theres an entire industry built around digging up scoops like this.  And even if they didn’t know, I can’t believe some supermarket tabloid didn’t at least put a pic of his Jackie Robinson Day speech up and say “Black Panther cancer shocker!!!!  Bozeman dying.  Pics inside.”

And did none of his coworkers know about it?  Hell, my wife and I are no celebrities but even so I would expect that as soon as one person knew one of us had cancer our whole town would know. :dunno: 

I mean... how?!!?

27 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he managed to keep it so quiet for the last four years. :stunned:

Like... theres an entire industry built around digging up scoops like this.  And even if they didn’t know, I can’t believe some supermarket tabloid didn’t at least put a pic of his Jackie Robinson Day speech up and say “Black Panther cancer shocker!!!!  Bozeman dying.  Pics inside.”

And did none of his coworkers know about it?  Hell, my wife and I are no celebrities but even so I would expect that as soon as one person knew one of us had cancer our whole town would know. :dunno: 

I mean... how?!!?

There were are few tabloid like speculative "why is he so thin/frail" articles but no one ever went so far as to suggest it was cancer. 

He was very thin in the last 12 months but personally i thought that was more a case of him not being on superhero training regime/diet. Hugh Jackman looks 5 stone lighter since he stopped playing wolverine. 

The fact he was able to carry on spoke volumes of his dedication and arguably acting.

The other interesting thing was how all of his roles were about iconic black heroes be they real or fictional. I guess 21 bridges was the exception but there's a clear pattern with his other roles. He's left an impressive legacy for such a small portfolio and i imagine he's inspired many young people. I think he'll be remembered as a great and suspect people will have black panther posters/prints for decades to come

20 hours ago, Rhom said:

I mean... how?!!?

I think it's the fact that was 43 years old, yet looked much younger.

If he suddenly started looking thinner you could just chalk it up to "welp, everybody has to start showing their age at some point".

Jesus fucking Christ, I still can't believe he is gone.

Ran across the story of how Phylicia Rashad and Denzel Washington anonymously paid tuition for Bozeman and his Howard drama classmates to attend a prestigious Oxford thespian program.

This is why mentoring is so great. What a talent, his family will be forever Proud.

https://people.com/movies/denzel-washington-remembers-chadwick-boseman-as-brilliant-after-once-quietly-paying-for-late-stars-education/

Even Ryan Coogler didn't know he was sick.

https://jezebel.com/ryan-coogler-on-chadwick-boseman-i-haven-t-grieved-a-l-1844899502

Chad deeply valued his privacy, and I wasn’t privy to the details of his illness. After his family released their statement, I realized that he was living with his illness the entire time I knew him. Because he was a caretaker, a leader, and a man of faith, dignity, and pride, he shielded his collaborators from his suffering.

Archived